• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a 1911

Tiny85

imported post

Ok i just stumbled across a Llama 1911 for $325 I need to know if there is any reason not to scoop up this 1911 right now. It falls into my price range of sub $400

I also found a guy locally selling a RIA 1911 asking $500. Should I first try and lean on the RIA seller and see if i cant get him a little closer to the $400 mark or would the Llama be a good option as the price is in the right area as it is.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Tiny85 wrote:
Ok i just stumbled across a Llama 1911 for $325 I need to know if there is any reason not to scoop up this 1911 right now. It falls into my price range of sub $400

I also found a guy locally selling a RIA 1911 asking $500. Should I first try and lean on the RIA seller and see if i cant get him a little closer to the $400 mark or would the Llama be a good option as the price is in the right area as it is.
DO NOT BUY THE LLAMA, my dad got me one for plinking when I was a kid the thing was inaccurate and to this day is falling apart the firing pin stuck in the frame because of the slide's lac luster steel and the rear sights started falling off (yes just sliding off). The gun also has constant mis fires, this is OK for a plinking gun but not for a carry gun you need something reliable the only thing good about this gun was a lifetime warrenty unfortunatly we had to use it a lot. Also the Llama isn't a true clone and the parts aren't inter changeable with other clones so you have to send it back for repairs and can't just order a wilson combat part.

RIA sounds good, my friend has one and loves it of course I think he's upgraded a lot of it.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

You would be well served with a used Springfield. The Norinco is an excellent piece of equipment, but there would be no warranty behind it (which may or may not be a big deal to you). I own a few 1911's from all levels of quality and customization, and I will say that the right pistol will make a big difference.

dl645

imported post

You might want to look at a Citadel. A local shop by me has both a government and officers size for under $600. Looked into it and these are made by Armscor who used to make the CDs. I believe Combat Handguns reviewed them in the June issue and thought they were good. Tempted to get the officers for a carry piece but may wait until I have enough saved for a Kimber Pro instead.

RedKnightt

imported post

Anyone bought/shot any of the new Detonics 1911s? The old Scoremasters were supposed to be great guns, but I haven't heard anything on the new ones beyond a few magazine reviews.

Tiny85

imported post

dl645 wrote:
You might want to look at a Citadel. A local shop by me has both a government and officers size for under $600. Looked into it and these are made by Armscor who used to make the CDs. I believe Combat Handguns reviewed them in the June issue and thought they were good. Tempted to get the officers for a carry piece but may wait until I have enough saved for a Kimber Pro instead.
Yeah the local shop here has a Springfield 1911 GI for $556 but gunbroker.com has some citadel 1911's for under $400 still trying to figure out whats the best option.

bugly

imported post

The llama might not be a good purchase. I have a good friend that had a llama .32 (yes I know its not a 1911), went to put it in his back pocket, and it AD'd on him twice (two shots without pulling the trigger, safety was on, as confirmed by the detective that showed up). Don't know about their 1911s, but if their .32 was an indication of saftey and quality, I'd look elsewhere. JMHO, of course.

Tiny85

imported post

bugly wrote:
The llama might not be a good purchase. I have a good friend that had a llama .32 (yes I know its not a 1911), went to put it in his back pocket, and it AD'd on him twice (two shots without pulling the trigger, safety was on, as confirmed by the detective that showed up). Don't know about their 1911s, but if their .32 was an indication of saftey and quality, I'd look elsewhere. JMHO, of course.
Holy crap good thing he wasn't using a Smart Carry or I'm sure it would have been a much worse story. The kind of story you get to tell your friends but not your kids. :lol:

FunkTrooper

imported post

bugly wrote:
While I never had a problem with the safety I wouldn't trust my life with a Llama but I have no problem doing it with my Taurus.

Tiny85

imported post

Anyone know anything about the internal lock on the springfield 1911? local shop has one but I just can't get past the internal lock. i've heard horror stories about the S&W j frame internal lock, just wanted to be sure this wouldn't have the same habit of locking the trigger from recoil.

Tiny85

imported post

Well I made my purchase today. picked out a new to me Charles Daly ECS Empire in stainless steel, 20 rounds Federal Premium, and a molded Bianchi holster, for just over $500. Trigger feels great on it, and I think I should be more comfortable with this on my hip then my .38 special I had been carrying. I'll post pictures once I get a chance to take some and once I figure out how.

Edit to correct model

Nosrac

imported post

Tiny85 wrote:
Anyone know anything about the internal lock on the springfield 1911? local shop has one but I just can't get past the internal lock. i've heard horror stories about the S&W j frame internal lock, just wanted to be sure this wouldn't have the same habit of locking the trigger from recoil.
I have 3 ILS SA 1911's. The key cylinder turns so tightly in mine that there is no way for themto accidentally lock.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Tiny85 wrote:
Well I made my purchase today. picked out a new to me Charles Daly ECS Empire in stainless steel, 20 rounds Federal Premium, and a molded Bianchi holster, for just over $500. Trigger feels great on it, and I think I should be more comfortable with this on my hip then my .38 special I had been carrying. I'll post pictures once I get a chance to take some and once I figure out how.

Edit to correct model
The Charles Daly's, Rock Island's and High Standards are all run from the same plant, and receive a passing grade. Enjoy your shooter, discover what you like about it, then go out and buy another one. 2 is 1, 1 is none.