• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a 1911

Tiny85

imported post

Ok I'm on the hunt for a Norinco 1911 used. My father has a few 1911's and he loves his Norinco even more then his Kimber. The reason he likes his is its a great knock around inexpensive dont care about it carry gun.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Money is realy short right now but I feel the need for the stopping power of a .45 and a 1911 is a great platform.

I've been pocking around riverofguns.com and gunbroker.com but all the online places have everything listing for around 700+ I was thinking maybe one of the fine members might have a norinco paper weight sitting in the back of a gun safe somewhere collecting dust they wouldn't part with.

Marco

imported post

Flames, why:question:

IIRC, Gun Test magazine did a review of the Norinco 1911 a few yrs back and gave it a good (recommend) rating, rated itbetter than some 1911's that cost $$$$.

For a custom build up it would make an excellent platform.

Here is a link tothe website, you must register/subscribe to read.
http://www.gun-tests.com/

Michigander

imported post

Keep in mind that Charles Daly, and Armscor (who made CD 1911's until recently) are also inexpensive 1911's that have lots of potential. Almost any 1911 that you can get a good deal on, that isn't cracked or badly rusted, should serve you well if you or a smith tunes the extractor and makes sure it feeds properly.

One more thing, try to avoid web auctions, because everything seems to be going for top dollaron auctions these days. Better totry forsale ads on forums, gun shows, SGN, stuff like that.

Marco

imported post

Michigander wrote:
One more thing, try to avoid web auctions, because everything seems to be going for top dollaron auctions these days.
Being an informed buyer is always good advise.

The slightly customized N 1911 that was listed (not mine sold for $550)
ETA:
Link to GB auction removed.

daytonaredeye

imported post

I know ahead of time that I'll likely be barbequed for this response but might look at a Taurus 1911 if you find any lying around.

I know Taurus is not a particularly popular brand on many a board but I have two: a PT140 .40 cal Millenium Pro series and the aforementioned 1911.Each with close to 300-400 rounds down the tube and nary a problem. Total for the brandspanking new Taurus1911 (out the door) = ~$525. Lets just say I took the money I could have been saving with Geico and bought the Taurus - 2 actually; and I'm gonna take the money I saved with the T brand and do some customizing . . .

Nothing against the Norinco, just my $.02.

Good luck in your endeavors,

d

curtm1911

imported post

daytonaredeye:

Nothing wrong with a Taurus at all.Some folks like them, some don't. I own a PT-1911 with Heinie Straight Eight Nite Sites and carry it daily. Runs great, eats any ammo it is fed and I like the Nite Sites. It also goes bang every time I pull the trigger, no FTF/FTE's ever after several hundered rounds through it. They are priced right too. Good Warranty too.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't know a thing about the Norinco, but I walked out of a show with a Rock Island Armory (RIA) 1911 for $400 all inclusive.

Of course, it was before November 4, 2008.

Tiny85

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
I have an older NM prefix serial # Springfield Armory I might be persuaded topart with
That would depend on how much persuasion was required. What kinda ball park we thinking?

curtm1911

imported post

Springfield Armory 1911A1, NM prefix Serial Number, Ambi Safety Installed, 18.5 lb. Recoil Spring, Full Length Guide Rod, Stock Rod also, 1-8 rnd. magazineno less than $500 persuaders, you need it shipped to an FFL near you, I have to ship from one near me......Let me know.........

Tiny85

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
Springfield Armory 1911A1, NM prefix Serial Number, Ambi Safety Installed, 18.5 lb. Recoil Spring, Full Length Guide Rod, Stock Rod also, 1-8 rnd. magazineno less than $500 persuaders, you need it shipped to an FFL near you, I have to ship from one near me......Let me know.........

Honestly it sounds like its a bit more then I'm looking for. after shipping through an FFL it would cost more then just buying the new Springfield Armory 1911 GI45 at the local gun shop. Thanks for the offer though. Always good to have options.

Guess I'll head back to the gun shop tomorrow and drop some cash on the 1911 for deposit.

curtm1911

imported post

No Worries Tiny, I said persuade me to sell, not that I WANT To sell.

BTW, saw/handled a Firestorm today, very nice feel, tight, pretty blue finish, wod grips, no ambi, good sights, extended Slide Stop and Safety Lock Lever, if I had had the $499.95+tax, it would be here now. Good Luck in your quest for the best..........almost 100 years old and Still Going STRONG...........1911, what if Ruger made a 1911 like they make everything else..........WOW.................time to wake up I guess...........

curtm1911

imported post

I only own one Ruger Auto Pistol, a Tried and Proven design, MKII 22/45, 5.5 bbl, blue, FUN, Accurate, Fun, Educational, Economic, Fun,

If they did it right like they used to do, plastic revolvers...........I don't know, they have made Great revolvers before, own some...........:D

Done right, it might be really nice, just my .05,(adjusted for current economic conditions) worth............

FunkTrooper

imported post

When I turned 21 I was out looking for a brand new 1911 (my dad had got a $300 Llama a few years back which to this day is falling apart), I was looking for an SA but unfortunately I was born in January so this year Obama moved in and everyone bought up all the 1911s except a few Taurus so I caved and bought a Taurus thinking it would probably suck but I've been very impressed no problems at all and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Tiny85

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
When I turned 21 I was out looking for a brand new 1911 (my dad had got a $300 Llama a few years back which to this day is falling apart), I was looking for an SA but unfortunately I was born in January so this year Obama moved in and everyone bought up all the 1911s except a few Taurus so I caved and bought a Taurus thinking it would probably suck but I've been very impressed no problems at all and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I gotta say I like the looks of your Taurus. not a fan of the big lettering on the slide but yours looks good.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Tiny85 wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:

I gotta say I like the looks of your Taurus. not a fan of the big lettering on the slide but yours looks good.
Yeah I didn't much like the lettering at first but I'm used to it now. I ordered some custom coco bolo grips to lighten it's appearance a bit, I notice that probably because of the stainless steel my gun on my hip is never really mistaken for a cell phone.