• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Zone Freedom of Information Act Requests

eleuthera

imported post

MPD has maps of the school zones in Milwaukee that are not released to the public. Attached is my non-lawyer written but hopefully sufficient FOIA request that I'll be sending to the MPD soon. Please post your requests to you friendly neighborhood police departments, the results (did they give you the run-around?), and any information you receive.

Maybe now we'll have the information we need to avoid committing a felony!

FYI I'll be sending mine to District 3 since that's where records are apparently kept.

AaronS

imported post

Yep, had to run an update for my (now old) office.

The letter looks good to me. Any idea how long this kind of request should take?

Teej

imported post

Pointman wrote:
1000' is actually 0.1894 miles. If you figure there are usually 10 blocks per mile, a two block radius should be enough. However, the older the city, the smaller the block size, typically. Milwaukee is an older city, so many sections will have 17 blocks per mile, meaning each block is 311', and 3 blocks would be 933'. There are some sections of the city with larger superblocks, so it's hard to calculate distance based on how many blocks away from something you are.

Another thing you may notice is city blocks are often rectangular, so travelling three North-South blocks isn't the same distance as three East-West blocks in the same area.
Careful.

Around here it's 16 blocks to a mile, not 10. The "big streets" usually go every half a mile - 68th, 76th, 84th, 92nd, etc.

eleuthera

imported post

SHAM-WOW. That's absolutely ludicrous, I had no idea it was that bad.

Looks like we're gonna spend a lot of time downtown...

jacobsk

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If I remember correctly the map that the officer had last saturday was in color.

The map has significantly more detail when the streets are in yellow, which has been lost when it was replicated in black and white. :banghead:

was it given in color when you recieved it Pointman? or did they give you a photocopy?

great work none the less! :celebrate

Teej

imported post

Even more confusing than I thought.

Milwaukee is typically laid out with 16 blocks per mile east west, and 8 blocks per mile north south. Hahahha.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Holy black dots Batman! This school zone statute has got to be unconstitutional since it prohibits the majority of the citizens of Milwaukee from exercising their constitutional right to protect themselve.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

The games played in this bulletin are interesting.

First, note that the bulletin conveniently fails to mention that a school zone does not include private property. 948.605(2)(b)(1) Stats.

Next, notice the completely dishonest attempt to try to expand the definition of a school zone. The bulletin states that the definition of a school for the purpose of identifying a school zone includes those areas described in 948.61(1)(c), however the school zone statute clearly and expressly includes ONLY those areas within a 1000' (not including private property) of places defined in 948.61(1)(b)-- and ONLY those places described in 948.61(1)(b).

The training bulletin illegitimately includes areas within a thousand feet of "recreation area or athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated for school administration." If this ridiculous and unsupported expansion of the school zone definition was actually true then, as examples, school zones in Madison would include a thousand foot radius of the school district administration building on Dayton Street, even though there is no school and no children at that location, plus it would include a thousand foot radius around the Pflaum Road Madison School District kitchen facility where meals for the Madison schools are prepared even though the nearest school is at least 3/4's of a mile away.

The Milwaukee PD bulletin is flawed, incomplete and deceitful. Is anyone surprised?