• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Zone Freedom of Information Act Requests

Teej

imported post

Interesting...

For purposes of defining school grounds or premises, it shall
mean “any school building, grounds, recreation area or
athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated
for school administration”

Contradicts state law. And there is a LOT of areas that are not school zones marked in that PDF.

NPH_1985

imported post

Pointman wrote:
eleuthera wrote:
Pointman, thanks for the great work. Is there a clearer copy of that map though?
I'm sure there is a high--tax-dollar-recipient version, but I received the low-budget-tax-payerversion. That's the best quality providable for what I received. An MPD officer provided it immediately and at no cost, evidence there are definitely some good guys on the force [because they're not supposed to help us out, go figure].

Here's the problem I've seen all throughout this: Government is actively working against law-abiding citizens on multiple levels. Often they claim it's a hassle to work with us and it's easier to deny rights, cuff and stuff, even though we're the taxpayer working to assist them in doing their job (kind of like a boss that not only pays you well but actively works to help you succeed). At the same time, the criminals they're paid to keep off the streets are given a few days jail time, no fine, and put back on the street. In essence, if you have money the government will take it, if you don't they won't.

In this instance officers aren't supposed to give a copy of the map to people who want to remain within the law. The attitude from the top is cuff and stuff [at gunpoint]. It's blatant discrimination against law-abiding citizens.

(New and Improved TOTAL RANT button activated) :cuss:

Now I ask: What are you doing about it? Complaining? Not going to the park while open carrying because it costs too much, andwaiting for someone else to do the job for you? That's the reason Wisconsin didn't have the ability to open carry until now, because nobody would step up and stand up. Two guys did it and they get a pat on the back and have to pay their own legal bills. Most OpenCarry members wouldn't even pony up one night of beer money (or their $35 NRA dues). Granted, a few OpenCarry members stepped up and really helped out when the court cases were happening, but what about the rest of us, and what about now?

If you think they handled their case wrong and don't want to help out you now have the perfect opportunity to handle it the way you want to: go carry in a Milwaukee city park. People here will video you doing nothing but soaking up the sun, so there will be plenty of evidence. Heck, call the police chief a few days in advance and invite him. Bring a copy of the preemption statute with you. Do it the way you want, just do it. If you can't, or won't, help out those who did.
Whats the penalty if I did? Just for curiosity sake.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

If you think they handled their case wrong and don't want to help out you now have the perfect opportunity to handle it the way you want to: go carry in a Milwaukee city park.

Hmmm is this the same pointman who said in another thread that he'd never goad someone into open carrying? dude... Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde? Who is it???

smithman

imported post

Teej wrote:
Interesting...

For purposes of defining school grounds or premises, it shall
mean “any school building, grounds, recreation area or
athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated
for school administration”

Contradicts state law. And there is a LOT of areas that are not school zones marked in that PDF.
Not necessarily. The grounds will cover anything that is on it, and the grounds may contain any of those items. 1000' is from the edge of school property. However, a maintenance building by itself not on school property (say across the street) would not fall into this category since the building itself is not "commonly known as a school".

Article1section23

imported post

Mike wrote:
the file is in word 2007 - time to update your MS Office :)

Also, in WI the law is called "Open Records" law instead of FOIA.
Here is the compatibility pack for office 2003 users. Here

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was told the maximum penalty for carrying in a park would be $800. That might be the $200 plus court costs. I'm game to carry in a Milwaukee Co park with you. The city part in New Berlin might be a nice one to browse since they too have a similar ordinance. Greenfield park is opportune as well since it is across the street from WAPD.