• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY ON PRIVATE PROPERTY NO CHL

SpizyChicken

imported post

Can you OPEN CARRY on your own Private property (yard working, etc) in Oregon, Portland, Tigard Etc, with out a CHL? Or do you still need a CHL to open carry anyplace in certain Oregon cities?

jerg_064

imported post

I'd say look at the city ordinances.

adamsesq wrote:
The city of Salem has banned the loaded carrying of firearms in: 10) “Public place” means a place to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation. (City of Salem Code 95.050 using a definition from ORS 161.016) as they are allowed to do under ORS 166.173.
[/quote][/quote]

So in Salem I would sayyes, because the general public doesn't have access to your private property. Then again the general public doesn't have access to your vehicle either which is your personal property and yet the state has ruled that your car is a public place. Try asking a lawyer.

Rogue40

imported post

So if your vehicle is a public place, anyone can gain entry into your vehicle and all you can do is ask them to leave?? Doesn't sound right...

jerg_064

imported post

Rogue40 wrote:
So if your vehicle is a public place, anyone can gain entry into your vehicle and all you can do is ask them to leave?? Doesn't sound right...

Well it doesn't sound right because it's not, we simply have corrupt criminals in our justice system.

"According to the state, because ORS 161.015(10) defines streets and highways as public places, local governments may regulate the possession of a loaded firearm on their streets or highways, regardless of whether the firearm--while on the street or highway--is also inside a motor vehicle or other container."

Here's the case: http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/A133855.htm