• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

long guns on motorcycles

astraflyr

imported post

I currently ride a dual-sport(on/off road) motorcycle and would like to get some laws and opinions on riding with a shotgun en-route to bird hunting. What about a 12 inch .410 contender? Can I conceal it enroute? Loaded?

JBURGII

imported post

I carry LOC pistol on my street bike all the time.. I have recently considered taking my rifle with me to target/sight in since the weather has improved just haven't gotten around to testing it out yet..

Jeffytune

imported post

astraflyr wrote:
I currently ride a dual-sport(on/off road) motorcycle and would like to get some laws and opinions on riding with a shotgun en-route to bird hunting. What about a 12 inch .410 contender? Can I conceal it enroute? Loaded?
Do you have a Concealed Handgun permit?

If not, then I would say no, not a good Idea.

Now, too the others here who suggested other long guns, I would think it would depend on how you carried it. It say you were using a golf bag carrier, and the long gun was in a case that did not give the impression it was a gun, I would think your just fine as long as it was unloaded.

Now, if say I wanted to ride across Portland with my AR-15 strapped to my back in plain view, I would think, permit or not, I would be pulled over and charged with brandishing a weapon, intimidation, reckless endangerment and possible there favorite catch all, disturbing the peace.

People will freak out, call the police saying theres a madman with a machine gun terrorizing drivers and the next thing you know your surrounded by the SWAT squad with real machine guns pointed at you.

adamsesq

imported post

Remembering of course that even with a CHL, carrying any loaded weapon on an Off Road Vehicle (which your dual-sport is the minute you leave the road) is still illegal.

821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.[/b]

(2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1]

-adamsesq

astraflyr

imported post

I'm talking on road. I really like the SKS over the shoulder idea. The sight of that might keep traffic moving! What are the hunting regs for shooting grouse off to the side of a road? 50 feet comes to mind and probably out of or not while riding a vehicle.

bigboar

imported post

Did you realise that a 410 contender pistol is not a legal hunting weapon? According to ODFW a shotgun must have a stock.

JBURGII

imported post

hehe.. I have looked into a scabbard for my winchester on my V-Star.. you know the lyrics.. "..on a steel horse I ride.."

Rev. Jim

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JBURGII wrote:
hehe.. I have looked into a scabbard for my winchester on my V-Star.. you know the lyrics.. "..on a steel horse I ride.."

Rev. Jim

Yep, cowboys and bikers do share at least one thing in common. They both straddle their preffered mode of transportation. ;)

One rides a four legged horse, the other rides a horse made of iron and aluminum.

sooeey2u

imported post

Without a CCl in Oregon, you can ride your motorcycle in route to hunting and/or fishing with your shotgun.

If stopped however you must provide proof of hunting and/or fishing (ie, license, tags, during season, etc)

Also, you must NOT stop enroute (ie, grocery store, ammo store, etc) or you can be arrested.

A simple CCL allows you to do carry open or concealed on your motorcycle at all times.

Check your local county and city regs...about open or concealed carry without a CCL.

As a CCL holder I fully support your right to OPEN carry,

Da Pig

Springfield, OR

astraflyr

imported post

I've been going duck hunting on the xt225 with the shotgun in the case. It's so much easier than taking the truck and having to unload the bike when I get there. I look pretty funny with my full camo gear(coat and waders) with my shotgun and decoy bag while going through town(Banks). I do have a CHL.

sooeey2u

imported post

<<I hope that carrying my pistol on my quad on my own property doesn't count..>>

ON your own property you're legal. On your own property heck you can carry concealed.. <grin>

JBURGII

imported post

sooeey2u wrote:
Without a CCl in Oregon, you can ride your motorcycle in route to hunting and/or fishing with your shotgun.

If stopped however you must provide proof of hunting and/or fishing (ie, license, tags, during season, etc)

Also, you must NOT stop enroute (ie, grocery store, ammo store, etc) or you can be arrested.

A simple CCL allows you to do carry open or concealed on your motorcycle at all times.

Check your local county and city regs...about open or concealed carry without a CCL.

Da Pig

Springfield, OR
I have been searching the msg boards and the ORS listings and maybe I am passing over the info I am looking for. Can you show me where it would be illegal to sling my winchester cross shoulder or 'holster' it in a scabbard on my motorcycle?

I know I can OC my pistol on my motorcycle. So what is the difference? I know I can CC a pistol while en route to or from hunting or fishing trips.. but if I am going from my house to my families abode 30 miles away.. through Eugene and Springfield as well as unincorporated Lane County, what statute would I violate?

Anyone have any input on this one? Have my search skills failed me? Is my coffee cup empty.. yes..

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
sooeey2u wrote:

Da Pig

Springfield, OR
I have been searching the msg boards and the ORS listings and maybe I am passing over the info I am looking for. Can you show me where it would be illegal to sling my winchester cross shoulder or 'holster' it in a scabbard on my motorcycle?

I know I can OC my pistol on my motorcycle. So what is the difference? I know I can CC a pistol while en route to or from hunting or fishing trips.. but if I am going from my house to my families abode 30 miles away.. through Eugene and Springfield as well as unincorporated Lane County, what statute would I violate?

Anyone have any input on this one? Have my search skills failed me? Is my coffee cup empty.. yes..

Rev. Jim

It's LEGAL. The hunting/fishing license thing ONLY refers to a CONCEALED weapon. Long guns are only restricted from being CONCEALED ON YOUR PERSON (but in your vehicle is legal). ORS 166.250 and read it carefully.

ALSO, you need to know the ban cities or keep it unloaded.

mlacey56

imported post

bigboar wrote:
Did you realise that a 410 contender pistol is not a legal hunting weapon? According to ODFW a shotgun must have a stock.

Listen to him. I can shoot grouse with my 9mm pistols, but not the Taurus. you don't want to get into a scuffle with BLM enforcement. They don't screw around, as firearms are run into on a daily basis.

mlacey56

imported post

Jeffytune wrote:
astraflyr wrote:
I currently ride a dual-sport(on/off road) motorcycle and would like to get some laws and opinions on riding with a shotgun en-route to bird hunting.  What about a 12 inch .410 contender?  Can I conceal it enroute?  Loaded?
Do you have a Concealed Handgun permit?

If not, then I would say no, not a good Idea.

Now, too the others here who suggested other long guns, I would think it would depend on how you carried it. It say you were using a golf bag carrier, and the long gun was in a case that did not give the impression it was a gun, I would think your just fine as long as it was unloaded.

Now, if say I wanted to ride across Portland with my AR-15 strapped to my back in plain view, I would think, permit or not, I would be pulled over and charged with brandishing a weapon, intimidation, reckless endangerment and possible there favorite catch all, disturbing the peace.

People will freak out, call the police saying theres a madman with a machine gun terrorizing drivers and the next thing you know your surrounded by the SWAT squad with real machine guns pointed at you. 

Come to Eugene.....maybe you'll catch a glimpse of me on my motard around town....with a long gun on my back....:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate