• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NOVA National Parks

Chaingun81

imported post

Does anyone know what "grey zone" areas exist in NOVA in regard to driving down the public road and finiding yourself in a National Park for a portion of a drive. I guess the whole GW parkway is off limits for gun carry, right? What about a portion of Rt 29 which runs through the Manassas National Battlefield Park near Manassas - isthat portion of the roadconsidered a National Park or not? Any other areas I have to be aware of?

Tomahawk

imported post

The GW Parkway is a National Park; no grey zone about it (except for the fact that there are no signs warning you that you areabout to becomea criminal). The portion of the parkway which is Washington St. in Old Towne belongs to the city of Alexandria and is not a NP, from what I gathered in Alexcabbie's thread.

Don't know about the rest. I also wondered about US Rt. 211 in Shanendoah.

Chaingun81

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
The GW Parkway is a National Park; no grey zone about it (except for the fact that there are no signs warning you that you areabout to becomea criminal). The portion of the parkway which is Washington St. in Old Towne belongs to the city of Alexandria and is not a NP, from what I gathered in Alexcabbie's thread.

Don't know about the rest. I also wondered about US Rt. 211 in Shanendoah.

I'm pretty sure that Rt 211 in Shenandoah is in fact a part of NP as you can see signs saying "Entering Shenandoah National Park. No hunting allowed" as you drive on the road soon past Sperryville. Route 29 in Manassas is more of a "grey zone" though as there are no signs warning you about entering a NP unless you exit the road and walk into the park. The park is on both sides of the road though, so I don't know whether the road is considered to be a part of the park.

By the way, what is the penalty for that violation? Is that a felony or a misdemeanor?

W.E.G.

imported post

Note that a portion of the GW Parkway is not only National Park, it is also part of Washington, DC.

dc.jpg

nova

imported post

Rt.460 near Blacksburg goes though a national forest, but the county sheriffs office patrols the road and I know CHP exempts concealed carry (I don't have one). I was under the assumption that the road itself is not part of the national park or forest, but I know others where it is (blue ridge pkwy for example IS a national park).

Chaingun81

imported post

nova wrote:
Rt.460 near Blacksburg goes though a national forest, but the county sheriffs office patrols the road and I know CHP exempts concealed carry (I don't have one). I was under the assumption that the road itself is not part of the national park or forest, but I know others where it is (blue ridge pkwy for example IS a national park).

As far as I know, National Forests, National Rec Areas and National Wildlife Refuges are not subject to NPS regulations and your gun carry is subject to state laws (just like it should be and like it was for National Parks for about a month early this year until this indoctrinated judge reversed the desicion). Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Doesanyone know what kind of penalty this violation would potentially carry?

Can anyone elaborate on Rt 29 and Rt 211 passing through Manassas NBP and Shenandoah NP respectively?

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hunting is permitted in National Forests, and generally you need a gun to hunt with.

IANAL, but yes, you can carry concealed in National Forests, Wildlife Refuges, etc.... just not Nation Parks.

nova

imported post

National Forests go by the state's regulations. In VA it must be concealed with a CHP.
National Parks are once again no-carry period nationwide.