• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police explain startling sight at Hamilton Viewpoint (West Seattle)

DrewGunner

imported post

Police explain startling sight at Hamilton Viewpoint
May 11, 2009 at 12:59 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle police |

A few notes came in late Sunday night asking about an earlier incident involving police and a possible armed suspect at Hamilton Viewpoint (map). Southwest Precinct Lt. Ron Smith explains that just after 7 pm, officers answered “a call of a female pointing a gun” but upon arrival discovered the woman, in her 30s, was “practicing self-defense with a fake yellow handgun and a rubber knife.” He adds, “After the female explained to officers what she was doing and officers inspected the weapons in question, she was allowed to leave.”

http://westseattleblog.com/blog/?p=16752

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinda weird, but cool at the same time...

Was this someone from the board?

just_a_car

imported post

Sounds like a martial artist.

We used fake gun and knife props when I was in martial arts training... though, we did that in the local Boys & Girls club gym which we had reserved for just us. Not sure it's the best idea to even be using such props in public, but nothing illegal about it, especially since they were brightly colored.

bugly

imported post

I could see how someone could become alarmed at the sight of even brightly colored "firearms" being used in an outdoor training excersize. After all, it may not have been obvious that it was training and some BGs might paint their guns to look like toys, as some of the kids in my neighborhood have done to their "airsoft" pistols to make them look real. If I had seen this happening, I may or may not have stopped to observe before making some kind of move, after all, if you hesitate sometimes, somebody could die.
JMHO, of course, YRMV