• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchase Permit Time

sddykstr

imported post

Hey everyone, I love reading this forum! I have a question in regards to purchase permit time in Mecklenburg County. I applied for a purchase permit today at the MCSO downtown, and was curious if anyone had any recent experience with the wait time there? I've already paid for my Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact in 9mm, and was hoping to get the permit sometime in the near future so I can pick it up. Then I too can OC!

Thanks!

JDriver1.8t

imported post

thirty minutes to seven days.

Depends on how busy they are.

I got mine in 30minutes. I asked for it, and they asked if I wanted to wait.

My parents both took 7 days, and they received a email (i think) saying they could come pick them up.

sddykstr

imported post

Damn, I went in today, and the lady behind the counter told me that it would probably be about 4 weeks, but I figured they were just saying that to set low expectations. When did you get yours? They weren't busy at all today, but they looked lazy to me.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I got the 30 minutepurchase purmitsome timein October or Novermberof last year IIRC. Parents got theirs a few months earlier.

I was under the impression they had to get it to you within 7 days.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

4 weeks? never heard of anyone's PPP taking longer than one week.

i applied for my PPP three years or so ago in New Hanover County, and it took a week.

a month later i re-applied again for another set of PPP's and it took 3 days.

now i have a CCH Permit so i dont even need my PPP's anymore :)

sddykstr

imported post

Man, that's upsetting. Hopefully I will get it sooner than later, but I'll post an update when I get it!

sddykstr

imported post

Well I will give that a shot! I have no idea what would take a month, but the meck people are lazy!

Godscreation

imported post

My PPP in Meck County took about 30 days or so. It's meck county, so I would recommend being patient and expecting the full 30 days. The law says they can't go any further than 30, so at 28 or 30 call them like I did. We got our permits the next day after I called.

nobama

imported post

Thats weird unless Im misunderstanding. I went to the sheriffs office,filled out the paper work,handed it to her ,she did a quick background check and wola. permit in hand. Thats all there should be to it.

sddykstr

imported post

Yeah, that's all there is to it, but apparently, they are "backed up" which I find hilarious, since they could probably process all the applications they get in one day. Freaking Mecklenburg man, it kills me! I've already paid for my new gun and everything, I'm just waiting on the damn permit.

sddykstr

imported post

Damnit! All you guys are making me angry here! :) Oh well, I'll just have to wait I suppose.

Here is a question. Since I don't have my concealed permit yet, when I get my pistol, what defines concealed? For NC, I've read that the piece has to be wholly or substantially concealed. I have an IWB holster, but if I keep my shirt tucked behind, so that the grip and a lot of the frame show, is it still considered concealed? I'd like to be able to carry it, but don't want to risk it being called concealed.

Thanks!

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Yeah I definitely wouldn't mess with an IWB holster without a CCH Permit, simply because the purpose of those holsters IS to conceal your weapon. The argument could be made by some that not enough of your weapon is being openly shown, etc.

I OC everywhere that I go, with a Fobus paddle holster. I cannot say enough about how amazing these holsters are, and I will recommend them to anyone.

Have a nice day.