• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Incident in Norfolk, VA

Pagan

imported post

Three guns is well prepared, but two guns and one digital voice recorder is better prepared, my voice recorder is part of my standard kit nowadays. My gun, leatherman, and voice recorder are rarely separated by more than 12 inches or so. FOIA that stuff ASAP.

Jonesy

imported post

Sounds to me like you handled yourself extremely well. I agree with others you should consider a voice recorder. One small nitpick, they do not need probable cause or RAS to approach you. They needRAS to detain you and probable cause to arrest. You definitely want to do a FOI request to gatherinfo. See other posts on this board on how to do it.

You may want to consider a civil suit, these "officers" are way out of control. I like the idea of criminal charges. However, I think the prosecutor will have discretion in deciding whether to actually charge them, and may refuse to do so. Maybe Norfolk needs visits from more oc'ers?Thanks for doing what you did, this is standing up for all of our rights. Funny how those cops are soooooooo poorly trained.

In Alexandria, I walk right up to and talk to cops while ocing, cause they are well trained on this issue. It's almostlike Norfolk isin California instead of Virginia.

VAopencarry

imported post

Dude seriously. You go for a motorcycle ride by cruising around the city from one burger joint to another?:shock:

Good job, keep at it.

I'm starting to think:

a) Only black people OC in Norfolk

b) Norfolk PD has a lot of bigoted officers

c) Norfolk PD has a lot of officers that think they can bully younger people.

Jared

imported post

Seriously, marginal grammar skills go a long way. Please use paragraphs and/or edit your post to break up your monster paragraph, there is no way anyone can easily read that post. I tried to read it, I skipped a lot because I was getting a headache.

Thanks

crazydude6030

imported post

Wait, did I get this right? Your a half black/half white male who OC two guns and CC one gun while riding a motorbike with 5 other dudes?

I like your style.

Just wondering though, were there any other people in your group carrying CC or OC?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Jared wrote:
Seriously, marginal grammar skills go a long way. Please use paragraphs and/or edit your post to break up your monster paragraph, there is no way anyone can easily read that post. I tried to read it, I skipped a lot because I was getting a headache.

Thanks

Agreed.

For God's sake sickntired, go back, edit your post, and PLEASE break it into paragraphs!

I stopped reading it because it was too much effort. Have some consideration for the reader.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
richarcm wrote:
That's horrible. I guess they either have no idea about their recent troubles with open carriers or they think that if they continue to intimidate open carriers that they will eventually just stop open carrying. Looks like its a game of chicken and the game isn't quite over yet. I'm going to follow this and attend any trips to Norfolk necessary.
I'll carpool w/ you. This stuff in Norfolk must stop!

Gentlemen or anyone else that wants to put up or shut up (*cough* HankT *cough*), if you want an "excuse" to visit Norfolk, visit this thread on the current clue for the Hampton Roads OC Tag game. The location cannot get any closer to downtown Norfolk. Get hot!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=17447&forum_id=54&highlight=tag+game

Phssthpok

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Phssthpok wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but including the chapterwould be far more more helpful. Federal law is expressed as Title/Chapter/Section (ex. 18 USC Title 13 Section 242, As you've got it expressed right now, it could Sections 241 and 242 from any of the 601 different chapters in Title 18 of the United States Code. How about making it easier (and doing it correctly) for those of us searching the Code?

TIA

The Sections are in ascending numerical order spread throughout the Chapters within a Part within a Title. One need only cite the Title and Section to get the correct code...the Chapter and Part are superfluous for searches.

Example: Title 18 USC (aka US criminal code) is divided into 5 Parts. The first Part is divided into 123 Chapters. The first Chapter contains Sections 1-26 (the first being repealed). The second Chapter contains Sections 31-39.1. Part 2 begins with Chapter 201 which begins with Section 3001 and continues to climb from there.

See how that works? There is no overlap/repetition of Sections within a given Title. All you NEED for a search is Title and Section.;)

Now if one were searching by text and not T/P/C/S numbers then the various subdivisions (and the names/descriptions thereof) might be of benefit. For those that would like that work done for them, here you go:

TITLE 18—CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I—CRIMES
CHAPTER 13—CIVIL RIGHTS
§241. Conspiracy against rights
§242. Deprivation of rights under color of law

wylde007

imported post

How about an impromptu OC outing?

My band (and several others) are performing a benefit for the Wounded Warriors project tomorrow night at Scotty Quixx (Granby Street near Freemason). The show starts with the southern rock band Force at 7:30, followed by my band, all-original hard-rock act DreadLine at 8:30, master bluesman Mojo Collins at 9:30, surf-core punk Underground District at 10:30, alternative rock and local favorites The Influence at 11:30 and the ethereal/fusion rock of Divine Ratio at 12:30.

Something for everyone. $5.

I have OC'ed at Scotty Quixx before and will be doing so again Wednesday. One of the owners is ex-Navy SeALs.

Just an idea. The promoter is very big into individual rights and since I'm also the sound engineer as well as performing in one of the bands, I'd even be obliged to make a shout out to my fellow patriots if they were so inclined to accept!

I'll be hard to miss. I'll be the one running around like a chicken with his head cut off.:lol:

markand

imported post

Crash7795 wrote:
Man, that's ridiculous! Just what exactly is the learning curve in that city?
I would opine that this is indicative of a huge lack of leadership on the part of NPD. Fairfax County has a much larger police force, but when OC became an issue in the County a couple of years ago, due to 2 widely publicized incidents, Fairfax County PD leadership pretty much got the word out to their personnel. With some exceptions, most encounters with FPD in re CC and OC are now pretty benign.

There is no reason why NPD couldn't get the word out very quickly about the legality and nuances of OC. They either are too inefficient to do so, which is troubling in itself, or do not care to do so because they don't like OC. Either way, this respresents a leadership breakdown on the part of the senior management of NPD. Just review the law, communicate same to the uniformed officers. Almost anybody on this board could summarize VA gun laws in regard to OC and CC and put it on a 3 x 5 card that could be passed out at roll call and included in a memo. VCDL did exactly that with a little card that can be carried in a wallet.

No reason for NPD officers to be ignorant, intolerant or defiant of VA gun law. And if they are, they need to pay a price in criminal or civil court.

wylde007

imported post

markand wrote:
No reason for NPD officers to be ignorant, intolerant or defiant of VA gun law. And if they are, they need to pay a price in criminal or civil court.
A steep, punitive price. Every opportunity should be taken to make an example out of the NPD or any other municipality that seeks to injure or abrogate the rights of its citizens.

t11spanner

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
DHCruiser wrote:
My next motorcycle ride may need to be down to Norfolk. Ridiculous!
How many riders are here? I'd be up for an OC ride around Norfolk.

I will be OC'ing on my motor Saturday (5-16) during the Redwing 19 1000 mile bike run.

Starts in Chantilly, goes through Richmond to around Norfolk, back toRichmond, west on I-64 tosouth on I-81 to Bristol, Va, back north on I-81 toeast on I-66 back to Chantilly......

I will have my glock, my 44, and mygirl will have her380 (She does not know she is getting it for herbirthday on Saturday).

Carl

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
How many riders are here? I'd be up for an OC ride around Norfolk.
I'm not sure. It's been brought up a couple times, but nothing has materialized, yet. It's 3 hours for me to get down to Norfolk, so it's certainly not a frequent event for me, but a weekend ride sounds nice.