• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New here to opencarry

imported post

Just wanted to hello. I was looking around and found yall. Can someone tell me the law on opencarry for Mississippi. I am from here (PAS,Moss Point, Lucedale) but have been gone for about 10 years with army. I am now in Hattiesburg, working at camp Shelby. I teach CQC, along with some other stuff. My wife and i both carry, just wanted to know the law. Thank you.

HungSquirrel

imported post

In Mississippi you need a permit to carry openly under state law. The fact that state law violates the state constitution is another matter.

http://opencarry.org/ms.html

Miss. Code §§ 97-37-1 & § 45-9-101 operate together to ban carriage of a handgun "concealed in whole or in part" unless the carrier is inside a motor vehicle or possesses a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver. As the Mississippi courts have said that a handgun in a holster is concealed in part, a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver is required to openly carry a handgun in a holster in Mississippi.

Thank you for serving.

Mississippian

imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
In Mississippi you need a permit to carry openly under state law. The fact that state law violates the state constitution is another matter.

http://opencarry.org/ms.html

Miss. Code §§ 97-37-1 & § 45-9-101 operate together to ban carriage of a handgun "concealed in whole or in part" unless the carrier is inside a motor vehicle or possesses a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver. As the Mississippi courts have said that a handgun in a holster is concealed in part, a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver is required to openly carry a handgun in a holster in Mississippi.

Thank you for serving.
FWIW, MS does not have a concealed carry permit, or (atleast not now)it is called a Firearms Permit, but still, they have figured out a way to regulate the unconcealed carrying of firearms which isin direct violation of the MS state constitution.