• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taxed for life, from birth

Phssthpok

imported post

arentol wrote:
ourmanthejoker wrote:
1) As a minor, you cannot contract with anyone. Your parents are your legal guardians, and did it for you, but it's up to you to object once you turn 18.

I will agree here. I've been reading more and more about social security over the last few days. I haven't even jumped into nevada's need for a SS number.

I've got a lot of time to think about this one about two years to go, so we'll see where it falls.
You may as well forget about trying to apply this little nugget (item 1) to get out of your SSN. The second you used your SSN for anything after turning 18 you gave up all right to object (if you had any to start with). Contract law states that by acting on the contract after attaining the age of 18 you have affirmed the contract and can not use the "I was under 18" loophole.

How about the lack of full disclosure voiding the contract?;)

arentol

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
arentol wrote:
ourmanthejoker wrote:
1) As a minor, you cannot contract with anyone. Your parents are your legal guardians, and did it for you, but it's up to you to object once you turn 18.

I will agree here. I've been reading more and more about social security over the last few days. I haven't even jumped into nevada's need for a SS number.

I've got a lot of time to think about this one about two years to go, so we'll see where it falls.
You may as well forget about trying to apply this little nugget (item 1) to get out of your SSN. The second you used your SSN for anything after turning 18 you gave up all right to object (if you had any to start with). Contract law states that by acting on the contract after attaining the age of 18 you have affirmed the contract and can not use the "I was under 18" loophole.

Strictly speaking an SSN isn't even a contract, so really all of the above is kind of irrelevant. I only mentioned it in those terms because the person that brought up the whole parents/minor contract thing apparently thought that standard contract law applied and I was pointing out that even if it did it wouldn't help in this case.

I don't know what kind of law would apply to trying to "Cancel" your SSN, but I would give it a 10% chance at best to be contract law anyway.

Statesman

imported post

arentol wrote:
Phssthpok wrote:
arentol wrote:
ourmanthejoker wrote:

Strictly speaking an SSN isn't even a contract, so really all of the above is kind of irrelevant. I only mentioned it in those terms because the person that brought up the whole parents/minor contract thing apparently thought that standard contract law applied and I was pointing out that even if it did it wouldn't help in this case.

I don't know what kind of law would apply to trying to "Cancel" your SSN, but I would give it a 10% chance at best to be contract law anyway.
I have thought about the possibility that it's not a contract, but I am simply repeating what I have been told. You are signing something, and a person can have that signature nullified, and whatever was agreed to, due to fraud.

Alexcabbie

imported post

I am losing sleep trying to figure out how to hijack this thread and steer it on SOME topic relevant to the RTKBA. Okay, I know.

Taxes? how about taxes on firearms and ammo?? Freedom of religion is an enumerated right just as is RTKBA. They cannot tax churches. RTKBA is an enumerated right. So WTF is this when we have to pay tax on arms, ammo and range time?? I'd like to give these jerks a box of "tax" and tell them to sit on one. Does the Washington Post have to affix a tax stamp to every copy? NO?? Why not? Does the "Reverend" Al Sharpton have to pay a tax for flapping his big mouth in public? NO?? Why not?? and do I have to pay a tax when I buy a gun, ammo, or rent some range time? YES??? FOR WHAT???

Never mind. I need a nice cup of tea. :banghead:

MuellerBadener

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I am losing sleep trying to figure out how to hijack this thread and steer it on SOME topic relevant to the RTKBA. Okay, I know.

Taxes? how about taxes on firearms and ammo?? Freedom of religion is an enumerated right just as is RTKBA. They cannot tax churches. RTKBA is an enumerated right. So WTF is this when we have to pay tax on arms, ammo and range time?? I'd like to give these jerks a box of "tax" and tell them to sit on one. Does the Washington Post have to affix a tax stamp to every copy? NO?? Why not? Does the "Reverend" Al Sharpton have to pay a tax for flapping his big mouth in public? NO?? Why not?? and do I have to pay a tax when I buy a gun, ammo, or rent some range time? YES??? FOR WHAT???

+1 Don't forget to dress like an "Indian" before you pour yourself a cup!

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:

It's all rights, or no rights. You pick. The problem becomes once you say... ok, I'm only fighting for this one right.... then the other rights get less attention and one goes away. Of course, that is the problem with RTKBA isn't it? Most people don't care about that right... but it is the ONLY right which guarantees the others. Without the RTKBA, you don't have free speech, you don't have freedom of assembly, you don't have freedom of anything the government does not give you permission to have.

So you are right on one thing... the RTKBA is the MOST important of all rights.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alex thinks our government "owns the world". A conceptual analysis of rights, which is dependent upon a a conceptual analysis of nonaggression, which precludes aggressive interventionism (necessary to "own the world"), would render such an opinion unlikely. The more likely scenario is that Alex simply does not understand rights or aggression/nonaggression.

Alexcabbie

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Alex thinks our government "owns the world". A conceptual analysis of rights, which is dependent upon a a conceptual analysis of nonaggression, which precludes aggressive interventionism (necessary to "own the world"), would render such an opinion unlikely. The more likely scenario is that Alex simply does not understand rights or aggression/nonaggression.
I understand plenty, Mister. What I mean by this country owning the planet is that for one thing America alone has the military might to conquer and enslave the world if she saw fit to do it. It is precisely because we were founded on basic pre-existing God-given rights that we have built up our miltary - to defend them for our selves and to aid the defense and survival of liberty for others - and although we could we do not conquer. I wonder how lucky say, Hugo Chavez knows he is that he could come here and call our President "the Devil" and say the podium still stank of sulfur. I wonder how lucky the "ambasadors" of those pissant mudholes realize they are. One Ohio-class SLBC sub could take care of the lot of them. By God, I would not put up with some foriegner coming here to say that about OBAMA. Only we can say that about Obama. Or any other President.

As to all this "conceptual analysis" bullcrap, personally I work for a living and I don't have time to play parlor games with ideas. Iread history and I read the newspapers and apply my upbringing and common sense to what I see. If you wanna sit around playingJean-Paul Sartre all day great.I no have-a da time. I'll tell you what I know about aggression vs. non-aggression, though. Hitler and Stalin signed a "non-aggression Pacr" and as a direct result of that the globe was plunged into six years of the bloodiest conflict in history. And without American aid in money and materiel, the Soviets would have been overrun by the German military (and - well, there is a movie called "Fatherland" you can watch for one "concept" to analyze. And I also understand one other thing:

You are responding to something I said in a whole different thread. :shock:Kinda brilliant if you are trying to convince folks i am nutso, as they dont have the quote handy to judge from. Marsh, buddy you need to listen to Charlie Daniels over and over until you get it brother. ;)

MSC 45ACP

imported post

We're stuck with Social Security while our politicians do NOT pay into S. S.

They have their OWN retirement system that is MUCH better than SS. We really have elected "Royalty" to public office. They think they're above the laws of the land. Do a search sometime for the number of CRIMINALS in Congress that have broken (some very serious) laws in our country.

We elected them to their "Royal Positions" and we can FIRE them just as easily. The problem is, the new ones we elect promise to do what we ask them to do are quickly seduced by the power and money and are eventually corrupted by the Disease that has spread to every part inside I-495 (The DC Beltway).

And we think SWINE FLU is dangerous? HA! The Political Disease in DC is much more dangerous and costly to us than Swine Flu...

Alexcabbie

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
We're stuck with Social Security while our politicians do NOT pay into S. S.

They have their OWN retirement system that is MUCH better than SS. We really have elected "Royalty" to public office. They think they're above the laws of the land. Do a search sometime for the number of CRIMINALS in Congress that have broken (some very serious) laws in our country.

We elected them to their "Royal Positions" and we can FIRE them just as easily. The problem is, the new ones we elect promise to do what we ask them to do are quickly seduced by the power and money and are eventually corrupted by the Disease that has spread to every part inside I-495 (The DC Beltway).

And we think SWINE FLU is dangerous? HA! The Political Disease in DC is much more dangerous and costly to us than Swine Flu...
And it is precisely what the 2A was designed to provide a buwark against, which explains the assaults on it and why we must ever stand vigilant aand fight. The dragon of tyranny never sleeps. We must be ever-vigilant and ever-ready, because we battle indeed the Hydra.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alex, I've never accused you of being crazy, nor do I think you are. Perhaps you're confusing me with somebody else. I have no desire to convince people of anything about you.

However, you have no idea what you're talking about. Trying to bring up Stalin and Hitler's pact really underlines this fact. I routinely criticize stuff like this all over the forum, and it has nothing to do with who you are and everything to do with what you said.

And these are not parlor games. The concept of nonaggression is the basis of peaceful society, much of our legal system and theory of government. This is the problem with people who talk a lot and think little because "they don't have time for parlor games".

Alexcabbie

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Alex, I've never accused you of being crazy, nor do I think you are. Perhaps you're confusing me with somebody else. I have no desire to convince people of anything about you.

However, you have no idea what you're talking about. Trying to bring up Stalin and Hitler's pact really underlines this fact. I routinely criticize stuff like this all over the forum, and it has nothing to do with who you are and everything to do with what you said.

And these are not parlor games. The concept of nonaggression is the basis of peaceful society, much of our legal system and theory of government. This is the problem with people who talk a lot and think little because "they don't have time for parlor games".
Well, see, Marsh, when it comes to politics, the average working Joe doesnt have a lot of time for frou-frou "analysis of concepts". We commoners down on the concrete trying to make our way through the world without starving or wronging anyone pretty much have to call it like we see it. When we get stung by a honeybee, we don't much care that the bee gave its life in order to sting us or that it was just instinctively protecting whatever interest it had been programmed to protect. We just know we have been stung at it hurts like a bitch.

When a swarm of hornets - who can sting repeatedly at no risk - decides to take residence in the eave above the sun-porch, we commonly opt for a pre-emptive strike. Ditto honeybees - which are useful - and we call in a beekeeper to remove them and put them where they can perform the office of honeybee more effectively.

You are mistaken to ay that the concept of "nonaggression" is the basis of a peaceful society. The basis of a peaceful society is MUTUAL RESPECT. Nonaggression is not the start but rather the end result of this mutual respect. Sorry Marshaul, but you have it exactly backwards. The reason the aforementioned Molotov/Ribbentrop Pact resulted in war was precisely because it was based NOT on mutual respect but rather on mutual distrust, much the same as the Antis wish to base their "common sense" restrictioons on mutual distrust of one another rather than common mistrust of criminals. Count the graves, Marsh.

Alexcabbie

imported post

marshaul wrote:
ONE: Wikipedia (which sounds like some kind of perversion to begin with). Hardly the best reference for an argument. I was researching the properties of Semtex vs C4 and the description of C4 was : "a mixture of SPIT POP ROCKS AND WATER in a binder..... ANYONE can eff with Wikipedia anytime. Screw Wikipedia, especially since the vividness I posit is not misleading. The "nonaggression" youn treasure does not lead to graves populated by murdered beings. Nonagression is possible only where there is MUTUAL RESPECT. Where mutual respect is absent, "nonagression" will be al the more absent. And is it the presence or is it the absence of non aggression that leads to Arlington Cemetery? Tell us O oracle of peace.