• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Frankenmuth

FatboyCykes

imported post

Wife, children, parents and I are taking a mini vaca to Frankenmuth this wed. thurs. and friday. Just curious the OC climate there if any. Anyone have any experience(s) there that I should know about?

TIA

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Wife, children, parents and I are taking a mini vaca to Frankenmuth this wed. thurs. and friday.  Just curious the OC climate there if any.  Anyone have any experience(s) there that I should know about?

TIA

SQLTables is in Frankenmuth often. He'll chime in soon, I'm sure, but he's had a few posts on the OC Experiences thread about it. The mom and pop shops are hit and miss, and it's really subjective. Expect it to be the same as anywhere else in the state. Some :what: and some :shock: and a whole lot of other people not even noticing.

SQLtables

imported post

I've been in a lot of the shops up and down Main Street. I've been asked about it by random people, but never had any problems with the businesses except the Bavarian Inn. I suggest you don't spend any money there. A manager in the restaurant told me they do not allow firearms, and they haven't responded to my letter/email.

As far as LEO, FPD definitely knows OC is legal, and handle it appropriately by ignoring me when they see me. Last year, I did get called into the Chief's office and had a nice conversation with him. An officer also stopped me in 7-11 and lectured me about how stupid I was, and told me he wouldn't protect me if something was happening to me. I don't spend money there either. The owner told me she doesn't like guns in there, but they are allowed, but she made a rude comment which really turned me off to giving her my money.

All-in-all, I haven't had any problems. Christy and I go for walks downtown every chance we can. I've been all around River Place, tons of shops in town, Kroger, McDonald's, BK, and both gas stations.

If you have any specific questions, just ask, or if you want to meet up for dinner one of those days, we could do that too.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Good to hear, cept that whole Bavarian Inn part...yea, that's where we're staying. My parents have some sort of membership there, so rooms for the next few nights are on the cheap. Do they have signs up? Or rather, what is the protocol in general in regards to a hotel. Can they prohibit firearms altogether? Am I allow to take it to my room, if so, do I have to unload, case it and take it up that way? Are they definitely against OC or just had a bad run in with them?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Good to hear, cept that whole Bavarian Inn part...yea, that's where we're staying. My parents have some sort of membership there, so rooms for the next few nights are on the cheap. Do they have signs up? Or rather, what is the protocol in general in regards to a hotel. Can they prohibit firearms altogether? Am I allow to take it to my room, if so, do I have to unload, case it and take it up that way? Are they definitely against OC or just had a bad run in with them?
Pesonally I would never stay in a hotel without a firearm, even if I had to cc it in. That's one reason I will never go to NY city, Chicago, or DC.

SQLtables

imported post

Well, I heard from somebody else on this forum that they called the restaurant and asked about firearms. They were supposedly told that the manager had no problems with guns, the owner had no problems with guns, and guns were not prohibited. This was before my incident, but I'm not sure how long ago it actually was. In my opinion, it was just a bad manager.

And yes, a hotel could prohibit firearms. Private property...

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Well, I heard from somebody else on this forum that they called the restaurant and asked about firearms. They were supposedly told that the manager had no problems with guns, the owner had no problems with guns, and guns were not prohibited. This was before my incident, but I'm not sure how long ago it actually was. In my opinion, it was just a bad manager.

And yes, a hotel could prohibit firearms. Private property...
Actually, it was the lodge, not the restaurant. And this was around 2 years ago.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Actually I was mistaken as well, we did not stay at the Inn, we stayed at the lodge. Absolutely no problems there. Both this morning and yesterday morning at about 6 am, I was up with my oldest down in the game are alone, in a white t-shirt, with my xd on my hip, couple looks, but not one comment. Plenty of staff walked by and glanced but said nothing.

Town was fine too, couldn't carry anywhere we ate, no CPL, alcohol, all that, but otherwise no problems at all. Ate at Tony's upon arrival, and OC'd all through Birch Run, more glances at BR, but no problems.

Only place to put up a stink, Bass Pro Shop, Outdoor World.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I've Oc'd at Tony's a few times and at birch run and haven't had any problems either. I know a few of the guys met for breakfast at Tony's a while back OCing and I don't recall there being a problem. So all in all so far good experiences there.

I do have to admit I got several looks while at the coach store with my wife and sister and law lol.

FatboyCykes

imported post

As did my wife and I, but still, nothing more than some sideways looks. Understandable from my PoV. Still a lot of people who don't know, and even if they did, have been conditioned responses.

FatboyCykes

imported post

All the silly pics we took and these are the only two that you can actually see me OCing in. This was in Bronners...

DSC02049.jpg

DSC02050.jpg