• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry with body armor ? Brady says no.

R a Z o R

Banned

MSC 45ACP

imported post

If you can afford to buy a new vest every 4 to 5 years, then go for it. They have a SHELF LIFE that many people don't know about. After about 4 years, the sweat and moisture the kevlar is exposed to during normal wear & tear makes the kevlar break down microscopically.

I wore Level 3A body armor (with a trauma plate) for most of my 22 year career. Its nice and toasty in the winter, but it REALLY sucks in the summer. It is also quite visible in the summer and someone that sees you wearing it will most likely just shoot you in the head and not ask any questions. The trauma plates have changed from metal to ceramic over the years. They don't cover the whole vest and are only designed to defeat a knife or sharp instrument thrust. Most rifle rounds will STILL penetrate level 3A body armor without a problem.

The new FN 5.7mm round will too. That's why they really delayed releasing that pistol to the public because LEO's went nuts when it came out screaming that it was a COP KILLER (and it is). That is probably why it is so expensive, too. Just remember, you're STILL vulnerable when wearing a vest.

The guy that invented "Second Chance" Body Armor used to shoot himself with a .44 Magnum to show how good his vests were. He also had a couple phone books between his vest and his body, too. If you take a pistol round to the "5 ring", you're STILL going to have a pretty good bruise. It could still kill you if its in the right place. It can bruise your heart and cause it to go into ventricular fibrillation ( inneffective beating, like a bowl of quivering Jello) without even penetrating the vest or your skin. Some cops have died from a "lucky shot" in the armpit where the vest doesn't cover.

In my humble opinion, wearing a vest will just give you a false sense of security in a bad place. As someone stated earlier, if you need to wear a vest somewhere, its time to MOVE!

Just my $.02 worth...

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Just noticed a quote above.. USED BODY ARMOR???:banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss::cuss:

If you buy used body armor that is more than 4 years old, you're buying a Yugo. I have some great farmland great for growing peanuts for you to buy too. Its in the Everglades...:what:

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
The guy that invented "Second Chance" Body Armor used to shoot himself with a .44 Magnum to show how good his vests were. He also had a couple phone books between his vest and his body, too. If you take a pistol round to the "5 ring", you're STILL going to have a pretty good bruise. It could still kill you if its in the right place. It can bruise your heart and cause it to go into ventricular fibrillation ( inneffective beating, like a bowl of quivering Jello) without even penetrating the vest or your skin.

I love some vest manufactures tell you that the vest will stop 12g 00buck. What they don't tell you is that the blunt force trauma will kill you anyway. :lol:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

True, being shot with 00 buckshot at close range will most likely cancel your Christmas plans, but so would some other calibers at close range. We had to wear our 3A vests because of policy, but it didn't give me a false sense of security.

Even with a trauma plate, I was deathly afraid of being stabbed with an edged weapon. If you ever get the chance, find a copy of the video "Surviving Edged Weapons". In that old film, we learned that if a skilled knife fighter is within 21 feet of you and you have a holstered pistol, you are basically FLUCKED! He can cross that 7 yards andpoke you withhis pig-stickerfaster than you can draw, aim and shoot. There are someCQB (close quarter battle) skills you can learn, though.

Never, Never, NEVER stop training. If you live in the Tidewater area, I can take you to a place where we can set up our own range and shoot more realistically than you can at a regular range.

Mike

MSC 45ACP

imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Just noticed a quote above.. USED BODY ARMOR???:banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss::cuss:

That site has slightly used / like new body amor !

The Acadamy of Brain Scientist agree :banghead:that hurts .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwhiO8iteDk
"Slightly used"??? "Like New"??? This stuff has a SHELF LIFE. 4 to 5 years, regardless of "slightly used" or "like new" appearance. Think for a minute WHY someone wold be getting RID of it??? :cuss::banghead::what:

If you are going to get it, you should get it NEW and it should have been manufactured within the last few months or you are not getting your had earned money's worth out of it!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

"Slightly used"??? "Like New"??? This stuff has a SHELF LIFE. 4 to 5 years, regardless of "slightly used" or "like new" appearance. Think for a minute WHY someone wold be getting RID of it??? :cuss::banghead::what:

If you are going to get it, you should get it NEW and it should have been manufactured within the last few months or you are not getting your had earned money's worth out of it!

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Bullet_proof_Vests_Catalog.shtml

At the link that he posted, they talk about 20+ yr old body armor working just as well as new stuff. Are you saying they're just blatantly lying?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Expiring body armor an urban myth: http://www.survivalblog.com/2008/02/letter_re_question_on_body_arm_1.html

11-yr old vest performs perfect: http://bulletproofme.com/Photos/11-Year-Old_Vest_Shootout_PHOTOS.shtml

And here's a very good explanation and shopping guide: http://reviews.ebay.com/Body-Armor-Facts_W0QQugidZ10000000001702683

A vest does not go bad simply from being old. A vest will only start to deteriorate due to years of exposure to varying degrees of heat and moisture. These elements will deteriorate almost ANY fabric or material.

Purchasing surplus body armor, or body armor that was worn twice then returned due to improper sizing, is a good way to save money.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Thank you for the education. I'll refer back to my own very limited experience. I was only in the Coast Guard. We wore IIIA body armor until the warranty expired because they would get wet with salt water on nearly every boarding. Somtimes, they would be worn for several days at a time and remain wet for the whole time. Salt water immersion and body sweat does take its toll on the vests as the articles show. Our useage was extreme.

If you want to buy a 20-year old vest, more power to you. I can understand the interest in a vest, but I'd be very careful about buying a used one unless you really know what to look for.

Walleye

imported post

For ultimate awesomeness, we could consider making a set of full plate mail, complete with a long sword and shield, and walk around town with that.

Ok, not exactly comfortable, but nobody would want to come near you for fear that you're the Man of Lamancha.

MetalChris

imported post

Walleye wrote:
For ultimate awesomeness, we could consider making a set of full plate mail, complete with a long sword and shield, and walk around town with that.

Ok, not exactly comfortable, but nobody would want to come near you for fear that you're the Man of Lamancha.
:lol: :lol: WIN!!

FLR&@

imported post

My two cents,

Politicians will make a laws requiring air bags and seat belts in cars,and furthermore they make more laws requiring that you wear it. When I go to work when Iwalk on the job I better have a hard hat, long pants ,and safety glasses ON and ear plugs in my pocket per O.S.H.A.You need life vests, fire extinguisher in a power boatand it goes on and on and on.All Just in case.

But somehowI should be illegalto buya vestJust in case?

WTF?

impulse

imported post

FLR72 wrote:
My two cents,

Politicians will make a laws requiring air bags and seat belts in cars,and furthermore they make more laws requiring that you wear it. When I go to work when Iwalk on the job I better have a hard hat, long pants ,and safety glasses ON and ear plugs in my pocket per O.S.H.A.You need life vests, fire extinguisher in a power boatand it goes on and on and on.All Just in case.

But somehowI should be illegalto buya vestJust in case?

WTF?
Perfect

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

All polls are BS. People think we live in a Democracy and freedom can be voted away. While it may happen, it is 100% unconstitutional. We must fight to restore the Republic and get rid of the notion we are a Democracy, or self destruct as a Democracy....

"Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or
monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes,
exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did
not commit suicide." ~ John Adams

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Actually, we don't live in a democracy. We live in a Democratic Republic. :idea:
Wrong again. We do not live in a Democratic Republic no matter what the Democrats tell you. We live in a Republic. The term Democratic Republic is a Strawman designed to convince people we live in a Democracy of a certain type.... which could not be more false.

Voting for your proxy in the legislature in your State or our Federal Capital does not make our government a Democracy in any way. Article IV of the constitution of the United States "guarantees to every State in this Union a Republican form of Government." It says nothing about a Democratic Republican form of government. In fact, read the founders... they heap nothing but scorn on Democracies.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Actually, we don't live in a democracy. We live in a Democratic Republic. :idea:
Wrong again. We do not live in a Democratic Republic no matter what the Democrats tell you.

LOL

Funniest thing I've read in awhile. As if democrats have anything to do with a democracy. :lol::lol::lol:

This is, in fact, a democracy. It is a democratic republic, which is a form of democracy,in which the people vote and POPULARLY ELECTED candidates represent them.

democratic republic:

• A political system in which a country is ruled by law, has representative government, and is democratic in nature.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
In fact, read the founders... they heap nothing but scorn on Democracies.
That because the founders, contrary to what you'd like to believe, were all for rule by the elite. They didn't trust the "common folk."