• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A PDF of an newsletter on OC in Michigan and a power point on Terry Stops

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
They also told him they have to surrender their card when asked even if they are not carrying.
Yep, you could get in trouble for that. Big fines and stuff. A cop might even take your gun away. Then the gun board will tell the cop he'd better apologize, and hope he doesn't get sued.
Kind of hard to take a gun that isn't there, isn't it?:lol:

(sarcasm off) Michigander is right. Read the statute. The requirements only apply if one is carrying concealed. You are not required to have a DL and CPL if your not driving or CC'ing. Therefore no requirement to disclose or surrender.

Michigander

imported post

I would NOT put it past a cop to confiscate an unloaded gun from someones trunk because of failure to disclose CPL status, even though he'd have already known about the CPL from his computer. That is what I was getting at.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Michigander wrote:
I would NOT put it past a cop to confiscate an unloaded gun from someones trunk because of failure to disclose CPL status, even though he'd have already known about the CPL from his computer. That is what I was getting at.
How would he get in your trunk...legally that is? No one would volunteer to open their trunk would they? Sorry Tvance I couldn't resist.;)

T Vance

imported post

Venator wrote:
How would he get in your trunk...legally that is? No one would volunteer to open their trunk would they? Sorry Tvance I couldn't resist.;)

ARSEHOLE! :cuss:

j/k...I learned from that mistake, and by letting people see the videos from my incident it will help teach others what not to do. It will also show others how many police are out to "jam you up".

T Vance

imported post

Not yet. I am sending a copy of the 911 call and the squad car videos to Venatar. I have to figure out how to upload these types of videos to youtube. They are in an odd format.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Vance wrote:
Not yet. I am sending a copy of the 911 call and the squad car videos to Venatar. I have to figure out how to upload these types of videos to youtube. They are in an odd format.

Next time bring em to me.

Worst case scenario, I get them converted at U of Michigan's Media Works conversion labs. They can even take 8-tracks there!

T Vance

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Next time bring em to me.

Worst case scenario, I get them converted at U of Michigan's Media Works conversion labs. They can even take 8-tracks there!
I work in Ann Arbor near Domino's Farms. If you don't mind meeting up with me, PM me and we'll exchange numbers.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Lol, I only listened to the calls :p I'll check out your beats when the kids aren't asleep :D

I love how he asked if it was legal, like 2 or 3 times.

OC4me

imported post

Thanks fellas for your good work. Looks like progress is being made but there is a lot to be done!

I'll be in Michigan in 2 or 3 weeks (for the summer) and look forward to my first open carry experiences.

I noticed the PDF mentioned thatfirearms must be 'fully-exposed'. Is this an area of law well-settled by the courts? The reason I'm asking is that I only have IWB holsters. Since I have a Florida CPLI should be covered but would rathernot be compelled to produce ID (if at all possible)should I bestopped.

ghostrider

imported post

OC4me wrote:
Thanks fellas for your good work. Looks like progress is being made but there is a lot to be done!

I'll be in Michigan in 2 or 3 weeks (for the summer) and look forward to my first open carry experiences.

I noticed the PDF mentioned thatfirearms must be 'fully-exposed'. Is this an area of law well-settled by the courts? The reason I'm asking is that I only have IWB holsters. Since I have a Florida CPLI should be covered but would rathernot be compelled to produce ID (if at all possible)should I bestopped.
Be advised that OC'ing with IWB is a murky area around here. Sure you might win in trial, but it will cost you lawyer's fees to get there. It's already been done by one member, and he ended up pleading to a lesser charge which resulted in gun being destroyed, Can't have CPL for 3 years, and much money.

What kind of gun do you have? You can get a Fobus or a Don Hume J.I.T. Slide for around $25.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

OC4me wrote:

Do you have a resident Florida Concealed pistol license?

If so then your good to go OCing with an IWB in Michigan. Although if stopped I suggest immediate disclosure and comply with requests for your DL and Permit.