• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Civil Rights suit filed in Michigan over 'open-carry' ordinance

dlofton

imported post

"Any decision made in lower federal courts will eventually come before the supreme court."

This statement is simply not true. Less than 1% of rulings by inferior federal courts are ever seen or come before the Supreme Court. Please cite your sources that shows were "any decision" a lower court makes is eventually made before the Supreme Court. For the purpose of full disclosure, only a few hundred rulings a year ever reach the Supreme Court.

David

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
And the truly sad part is lots of persons here will continue to be ignorant as they choose to remain so.
John Bad Elk vs United States should be required reading for every "law enforcement" officer.
SORRELL v. MCGUIGAN

Here is a case where a police officer is expected to know clearly established law.
Take a look at the second to last paragraph on page 7...

http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/011565.U.pdf

ghostrider

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
And the truly sad part is lots of persons here will continue to be ignorant as they choose to remain so.
John Bad Elk vs United States should be required reading for every "law enforcement" officer.
SORRELL v. MCGUIGAN

Here is a case where a police officer is expected to know clearly established law.

Thanks for the link. Good read.

Like I said, it's going to be hard to get implied immunity when it had been all over the news on TV just a month before, and there is already a Appellate Court ruling on it. While it's possible that the individual officers were unaware that the ordinance was unenforceable, that doesn't get them off for the fact that they should have known. Hasting's got a lot of press. It was on three different networks, and OC had already been in two different Legal Updates.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Even of the trial court finds quaklified immunity in this case, the court "should" announce what the law is so that future instances of this abuse of power do not qualifiy. i say should because the S. Ct. made this "announce" step optional in Pearson v. Callahan a few months ago, unfortunately.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

And their apologists too.

I'm traveling. Colonel George Kenneth Webb died within an hour of my goodbyes.

swillden

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
SORRELL v. MCGUIGAN

Very interesting. Do you have any information about the final outcome? The opinion affirmed the denial of McGuigan's immunity, but I'd like to know what, if any, judgement Sorrell got after it was decided that the officer wasn't immune.

conservative85

imported post

DanM wrote:
dlofton wrote:
. . . I just want the board to fully understand that not all police officers know every law. I have been an officer for more than 15 years and I can say without a doubt that I do not know every law, ordinance, statute, Vernon civil code, CCP, or case law that has ever been created for the State of Texas. . . .

Of courseofficers, including you, may not know every law. So you enforce what you know, and you get in touch with your supervisor or the prosecutor on things you don't know or are unsure of before you make a possiblyunlawful detention or arrest.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, as we so often hear, right? But it's a two way street.It'snot an excuse for illegal activity by citizens or unlawful detentions or arrests by police, correct? If an officer observes something heis unfamiliar with and can't quite articulate reasonable suspicion or probable cause for a violation of law, he should immediately contact his supervisor while keeping the subject in view. That seems tome an easy and reasonable course of action. It sure would save a lot of taxpayer money which goes out to settle such preventablelawsuits.

Amen brother! I could not have said it better my self! ooh plus they treated him like crap I am sure that is not the SOP for law enforcement. It is suppose to be To Protect, & to Serve! Not...To Push & To Shove! I hope these police officers loose their jobs, I hope they reprimand the Supervisor of these officers, & I hope the Prosecutor looses his reelection.

[align=left]McGuigan suggests that a reasonable police officer would not necessarily[/align]
[align=left]know specific Maryland cases on penknives. However, a reasonable[/align]
[align=left]officer is presumed to know clearly established law.
See[/align]
[align=left]Harlow
, 457 U.S. at 818-19 ("[A] reasonably competent public official[/align]
should know the law governing his conduct.").

Lisa Gayle Sikes

imported post

May 20, 2009

If I were Christopher Fetters of Michigan and I got my gun taken away and harrassed by the locals I would eat them for lunch and take this as far as it can possibly go!

Lisa Gayle Sikes

of Austin, Texas

Lthrnck

imported post

Can't they get their story straight?

Early in the article they say....

People carrying weapons can be frightening and the department received several verbal complaints about the man, a department official said.

But later they say....

"No allegations were ever made that Mr. Fetters ever threatened anyone, or in any other way disturbed the peace on the day of his arrest," Dulan stated in the announcement of the suit on Tuesday.

So if no allegations were made, where did the SEVERAL verbal complaints come from, and why was he stopped and his gun taken?

Just food for thought.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ignorance is no excuse... Cute.

So, how does this absolve those ignorant persons who created this ordinance?

Such ordinance being instructive by nature to a Police Officer.

Sue the city, every individual still alive who may have caused it to come into effect, and those currently enforcing it.

Why doesn't anyone ever suggest placing the names of the legislators who create the ordinance on the lawsuit? It is, after all, at the root of the matter. And ignorance (or perhaps arrogance) is still no excuse...

DarKRaceR

imported post

ixtow wrote:
Ignorance is no excuse... Cute.

So, how does this absolve those ignorant persons who created this ordinance?

Such ordinance being instructive by nature to a Police Officer.

Sue the city, every individual still alive who may have caused it to come into effect, and those currently enforcing it.

Why doesn't anyone ever suggest placing the names of the legislators who create the ordinance on the lawsuit? It is, after all, at the root of the matter. And ignorance (or perhaps arrogance) is still no excuse...
Yes, that is very true, hold the ones who are the originators of the problem accountable as well.

1245A Defender

imported post

see also st. john v alamagordo, pretty much the same thing, the cops lost quallified immunity,

sueing a city sends an important message,
but sueing the "bonds" of the actual officers could have a giant effect on the other officers future actions.

the alamagordo officers eventually settled out of court for 21,000$ !

ridgerunner98570

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
Can't they get their story straight?

Early in the article they say....

People carrying weapons can be frightening and the department received several verbal complaints about the man, a department official said.

But later they say....

"No allegations were ever made that Mr. Fetters ever threatened anyone, or in any other way disturbed the peace on the day of his arrest," Dulan stated in the announcement of the suit on Tuesday.

So if no allegations were made, where did the SEVERAL verbal complaints come from, and why was he stopped and his gun taken?

Just food for thought.
The difference is, No allegations were made that Mr. Fetters ever threatened anyone, or in any other way disturbed the peace. There is a difference between someone complaining to the police that you have a gun, and your threatening them with one. You don't have to have been doing anything for someone to lodge a complaint.

The officers then took it upon themselves to decide that he was dangerous and was violating the law. They were wrong on both counts and that is why the lawsuit.