• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

official MOC get togethers?

Bronson

imported post

I don't know how this works but the thought popped into my head today. Now that MOC is an official, non-profit organization do we need to pull permits or do anything special when holding get togethers in public parks or other public property?

Just wonderin'

Bronson

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bronson wrote:
I don't know how this works but the thought popped into my head today.  Now that MOC is an official, non-profit organization do we need to pull permits or do anything special when holding get togethers in public parks or other public property?

Just wonderin'

Bronson

I am inclined to say no. I can go eat lunch at the park with my coworkers without a permit.

Some cities do have permits required to have public demonstrations, but this is usually made apparent. For instance, If I want to do something on the U of M diag, I need a permit. If I want to do it in an Ann Arbor city park, I don't (unless using loudspeaker equipment...)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Bronson wrote:
I don't know how this works but the thought popped into my head today. Now that MOC is an official, non-profit organization do we need to pull permits or do anything special when holding get togethers in public parks or other public property?

Just wonderin'

Bronson
I want to make it clear that anyone can have get-togethers and dinners, etc., but not all will be an "official" MOC event without the support or okay of the board.

As a organization we don't want an anti-OC group to have a picnic and say they are representing MOC and then proceed to engage in activities that would be detrimental to MOC. We want to have some control overwho can and can not use our name.

Also keep in mind that you can notspeak officially for MOC. You can speak generally and say you are a participate on the open carry forum and spread the word about OC. When we start having paying members you can also say you are a member of MOC, but you still could not speak in an official capacity for MOC unless you have permission from the board or regional coordinator.

Hopefully we will have region coordinators that will be able to speak in an official manner on certain topics and be able to okay local events within their regions.

Bronson

imported post

Venator wrote:
I want to make it clear that anyone can have get-togethers and dinners, etc., but not all will be an "official" MOC event without the support or okay of the board.

As a organization we don't want an anti-OC group to have a picnic and say they are representing MOC and then proceed to engage in activities that would be detrimental to MOC. We want to have some control overwho can and can not use our name.

Also keep in mind that you can notspeak officially for MOC. You can speak generally and say you are a participate on the open carry forum and spread the word about OC. When we start having paying members you can also say you are a member of MOC, but you still could not speak in an official capacity for MOC unless you have permission from the board or regional coordinator.

Hopefully we will have region coordinators that will be able to speak in an official manner on certain topics and be able to okay local events within their regions.

Understood, I was just curious as to when there is an official event if MOC would have to pull some type of permit since we would no longer be a collection of individuals but a registered and recognized group. I didn't know if the rules were different for that.

Bronson

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Bronson wrote:
Venator wrote:

Understood, I was just curious as to when there is an official event if MOC would have to pull some type of permit since we would no longer be a collection of individuals but a registered and recognized group. I didn't know if the rules were different for that.

Bronson

I figured that's what you meant, but I took the opportunity to express the points I made.

You question would have to be answered by contacting the park the event would be in. But if it's just a group of people there and the event was endorsed by MOC I don't think that would need a permit. Keep thinking of these things, we need all the minds we can watching out for this new Org.

WARCHILD

imported post

Thought I would chime in on this one.
When I went to the clerk's office to set up the picnic here in Owosso, I asked the city clerk that very question on permits for "Official non-profit gatherings". Her answer was (hear-say..I know)..If the organization is not there for sales of merchandise, then you don't need any kind of permit. That is the case in the city of Owosso and most other cities that she said she knew of. Therefore if we are only there for food, fellowship and handing out info... no permit required. She also stated to check with each city for it's own requirements just to be sure.