• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BAC when OCing vs. CCing

T Vance

imported post

I was told the other day by Michigan State Trooper Lt. Jim Shaw that if you are CCing you may only have a Blood Alcohol Content of .02, but if you are OCing you can have a BAC of .08

Has anyone else heard/read of this?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

T Vance wrote:
I was told the other day by Michigan State Trooper Lt. Jim Shaw that if you are CCing you may only have a Blood Alcohol Content of .02, but if you are OCing you can have a BAC of .08

Has anyone else heard/read of this?

That is true for someone that doesn't have a CPL.Under 750.234 (I think it's in that statute), it states you can not have more than .08 and be in possession of a firearm.

It is unclear whether you can have more if you OC with a CPL. Some argue you can some say you can't.

Veritas

imported post

Who wants to be the test dummy?

As for me, I properly secure and stow my weapon when drinking. Even if it's just a can of beer. To tell the truth, I even get a little nervous when it comes to rinsing with mouthwash and carrying because of the implied consent laws. If an officer were to demand that i submit to a PBT, mouthwash could register as alcohol. Not only does it register, but if you have rinsed recent to the test, you will register at levels that should suggest fatal.

Of course, I would be arrested and then submit to the court-admissible test at the copshop... hopefully that machine would be calibrated to ignore mouthwash. But you never know... nor would I want to go through the hassle of finding out.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Michigander wrote:
If you're drinking, don't carry. Laws aside, it's a simple moral rule.

Wrong!

I home brew and sometimes go to my home brew store and they may have a special beer there that I may like to sample.

There is nothing morally wrong with me having a small sample lets say 1 or 2oz

Not everything to do with drinking is black and white.

I have enough self control to not drink so much that it will influence my judgment, the one's that write our laws maybe not so much.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Veritas wrote:

As for me, I properly secure and stow my weapon when drinking. Even if it's just a can of beer. To tell the truth, I even get a little nervous when it comes to rinsing with mouthwash and carrying because of the implied consent laws. If an officer were to demand that i submit to a PBT, mouthwash could register as alcohol. Not only does it register, but if you have rinsed recent to the test, you will register at levels that should suggest fatal.

Of course, I would be arrested and then submit to the court-admissible test at the copshop... hopefully that machine would be calibrated to ignore mouthwash. But you never know... nor would I want to go through the hassle of finding out.
use non-alcohol mouthwash silly

Michigander

imported post

Yeah, 1 or 2 ounces of something weak I can see. But beyond that, I believe it is very cut and dry, in that it's just not a good idea.

conservative85

imported post

Veritas wrote:

Remember implied consent does not mean you have to comply...Whether in a car or carrying. Though the results may be expensive but I'd rather get a refusale to submit, than an alcy related driving charge, or carry charge.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dougwg wrote:
Michigander wrote:

Wrong!

I home brew and sometimes go to my home brew store and they may have a special beer there that I may like to sample.

There is nothing morally wrong with me having a small sample lets say 1 or 2oz

Not everything to do with drinking is black and white.

I have enough self control to not drink so much that it will influence my judgment, the one's that write our laws maybe not so much.
+1000

Thanks for the sanity. Some people treat beer the way the Brady Bunch treat guns. I'll have none of it.

conservative85

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I would say it is good advise but I don't know if it is immoral to drink & carry, the majority of the west drank and carried. Everything in moderation. With a little resposibility, and knowing your body weight, I see nothing wrong with a drink or two. Now You will never see me drink and leave my property with out diarming. like doug says Under the Influence can mean so many things these days

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

Veritas wrote:

just a couple of point for you on this subject. i was an MP in the military, and come from a family of police officers.

1) the police officer is supposed to ask you if you have had anything to eat or drink in the last 15 mins. if you reply yes he is supposed to wait for 15 minutes to give the test (this includes chewing gum)

2) to teach student drivers about drunk driving, my father-in-law has asked my dad to come in and give PBT's to students. He brings in a PBT and a bottle of listerene, and then has a student gargle for 30 seconds, and then blow. It registers extremely high like a .40 or something. He then has the student wait 15 minutes while he talks about responsible driving, and then has him blow again. after 15 minutes it registers zero. Mouth wash will not stay in you system long enough to cause you to fail a breathalyzer

just some stuff for you to keep in mind.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I like PA's lack of any law whatsoever on alcohol and carrying. You could get a drunk in public and not have any weapons related charges. I really think it should up to the individual whether they could drink and carry. If someone drinks and he ends up doing something foolish while carrying, he should be held responsible for the foolish act, not because of the factors that led to it.

T Vance

imported post

mmdkyoung123 wrote:
He brings in a PBT and a bottle of listerene, and then has a student gargle for 30 seconds, and then blow. It registers extremely high like a .40 or something. He then has the student wait 15 minutes while he talks about responsible driving, and then has him blow again. after 15 minutes it registers zero. Mouth wash will not stay in you system long enough to cause you to fail a breathalyzer
I have been pulled over before less than 3 minutes after leaving my house.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
I like PA's lack of any law whatsoever on alcohol and carrying. You could get a drunk in public and not have any weapons related charges. I really think it should up to the individual whether they could drink and carry. If someone drinks and he ends up doing something foolish while carrying, he should be held responsible for the foolish act, not because of the factors that led to it.
Extending your logic, are you saying one should be able to drive drunk, as long as they get home without causing any accidents or running over anyone?

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

T Vance wrote:
mmdkyoung123 wrote:
He brings in a PBT and a bottle of listerene, and then has a student gargle for 30 seconds, and then blow. It registers extremely high like a .40 or something. He then has the student wait 15 minutes while he talks about responsible driving, and then has him blow again. after 15 minutes it registers zero. Mouth wash will not stay in you system long enough to cause you to fail a breathalyzer
I have been pulled over before less than 3 minutes after leaving my house.
ok, but again, they are required to wait for 15minutes if you tell them that you have eaten, drank, gragyled, or brushed your teeth in the last 15 minutes.if they don't, you will be cleared when you are taked and booked, and then enjoy your lawsuit. i haven't met a police officer yet who want to be sued for not wating a measly 15 minutes.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sometimes, I do feel that what you propose would be correct. However, the situations are not congruent. Alcohol impairs motor skills and timing, which are imperative at all times when driving. However, if you are carrying, 99.9% of the time all you need to do is keep it in the holster. If you do have to draw, and perform within the bounds of law, I don't see the problem.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
Someone drunk, in public, with a gun is a menace. If I saw someone in that state I would dial 911 immediately and report the person and be a good witness. If the person was really wasted and seemed to be a danger to me or others, I would consider taking possession of the person's gun, ifpossible, until the po-po arrived.

Waiting until something gets broke or injured is not a feasible option. At least it's not a good one. Better to prevent it from happening. If I saw someone, drunk and armed and he/she injures or kills someone and I could have done something about it, I wouldn't like that very much.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
Sometimes, I do feel that what you propose would be correct. However, the situations are not congruent. Alcohol impairs motor skills and timing, which are imperative at all times when driving. However, if you are carrying, 99.9% of the time all you need to do is keep it in the holster. If you do have to draw, and perform within the bounds of law, I don't see the problem.
Exactly right.