Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 219

Thread: Should gun owners abandon the Republican Party?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    The GOP needs to clearly understand that gun owners are not a constituency that can be taken for granted. In summary, let the GOP beware … Gun owners are not blind apologists for the party and we expect those who want our vote to earn it. If pro-gun democrats begin to fill that role, then it might be an entirely different game.

    Please Digg and share the article with your friends.



  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    1

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Perry, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    27

    Post imported post

    The Republican party is a lost cause as far as I am concerned. All they want to be is a different Democrat.

    I have voted Republican all my life --- but not any more.

    Guns are not the only thing they have messed up on.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gloucester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    Vote for those that fight for freedom and liberty, nothing more nothing less.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    Pagan wrote:
    *Vote for those that fight for freedom and liberty, nothing more nothing less.
    Exactly right. And there are no party lines which make for an effective guide. Each person must be his own compass.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Minneapolis Gun Rights Examiner wrote:
    Gun owners are not blind apologists for the party and we expect those who want our vote to earn it.

    If only that were true.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rockingham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    861

    Post imported post

    MITT ROMNEY * BOBBY JINDAL * 2012

    Mitt will be speaking at the NRA meet .

    Hope that by 2012 Mitt will have proven

    himself and made sure for our liberty,

    sovereignty , Constitution , and the

    Right to Keep and Bear Arms .

    If we do not unite in the next twoelections ,

    we deserve what happens to America .

    R a Z o R

    PS , I am a centrist that votes for the best possible .

    It is our free agency to vote or not and I sure hope you do .


  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    91

    Post imported post

    I've been equally disgusted with both aisles for years now. You give me a politician, and I can probably give you a few reasons they don't deserve their job. There have only been a few I would love to have a drink with because I think they actually give a damn.

    Call me when Barry Goldwater rises from the grave and announces his candidacy...


    AC

    /I've never let anyone ever call me a Rep/Dem/Con/Lib without me giving them an ear full.
    //You're better off insulting my mother then grouping me with those gremlins...

  9. #9
    Regular Member Jblack44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    I've given up on the "two " parties. They are both attached to the same evil raptor!!!

    A third party uprising is the only way that this country can get back on it's feet and remove the toxin that is now our government. Look into the Constitution Party or The Modern Whigs. Do some research and you may find that there are many people that are tired of this two party system and want real change!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

  10. #10
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    ACEllis wrote:
    I've been equally disgusted with both aisles for years now. You give me a politician, and I can probably give you a few reasons they don't deserve their job. There have only been a few I would love to have a drink with because I think they actually give a damn.

    Call me when Barry Goldwater rises from the grave and announces his candidacy...


    AC

    /I've never let anyone ever call me a Rep/Dem/Con/Lib without me giving them an ear full.
    //You're better off insulting my mother then grouping me with those gremlins...
    Ron Paul

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    376

    Post imported post

    I am curious as to why republicans became the party of gun owners, since we have republican presidents to thank for gun free school zones, bans on citizens buying new full autos, and Bush II's promise to sign an AWB.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    R a Z o R wrote:
    MITT ROMNEY * BOBBY JINDAL * 2012

    Mitt will be speaking at the NRA meet .

    Hope that by 2012 Mitt will have proven

    himself and made sure for our liberty,

    sovereignty , Constitution , and the

    Right to Keep and Bear Arms .
    Ole Mitt was one of the "deer in headlights" on stage when Ron Paul was proceeding to wipe the floor with their tired worn out Republican mantras. I'll admit I haven't looked up Mitt Romney since then, but he's a standard Republican in my book. The Republican Party these days are on the totalitarian end of the political scale, right along with the Democrats, with very few members scattered along the Constitutional end.

    the two party system. I voted Constitution Party last election, Chuck Baldwin.


  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    166

    Post imported post

    It doesn't matter who you vote for. Whenever you give someone else the power to rule in your name, you give them the power to rule you.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    codename_47 wrote:
    I am curious as to why republicans became the party of gun owners, since we have republican presidents to thank for gun free school zones, bans on citizens buying new full autos, and Bush II's promise to sign an AWB.
    Exactly! We still have plenty of Democratic conservatives on our side. I believe this is a battle for conservative values (gun ownership), not party power.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rockingham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    861

    Post imported post

    ROSS PEROT

    Everyone I knew in So. California voted for Ross Perot , and we elected Bill Clinton . Half the people I know here in North Carolina did not voteat all because of McCain and we elected Obama .

    ROSS PEROT

    Yes I voted for Ross Perot and then I learned not to be a loser anymore . I've even had dinner with Bo Gritz at Sizzler a couple times . As an Unaffiliated Centrist I am wanting Mr. Global Economy , MITT ROMNEY to be the POTUS .

    ROSS PEROT

    Mitt and Bobby both have mercurial minds that teleprompters can not keep up with . If you are not going to vote or are voting for a 3rd party let me express how much losing again in 2010 and 2012 will mean to our gun rights .

    ROSS PEROT

    Ross Perot's votes made the AWB by Bill Clinton and this dummy voted Perot.





  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    It's not just the parties. The whole one-dimensional model of political thought is fundamentally flawed.

    For example, you refer to gun ownership as a "conservative" value, but the concept of gun ownership as a natural right is historically, and in any context other than in modern American use of terminology, a "liberal" issue indeed. In fact, the concept of using arms against a tyrannical state would have once been described as not only liberal, but radically so. A "conservative" idea it most certainly was not, and never really has been (think for a moment about the connotations of "conservative").

    Now, rather than insisting we all call ourselves Liberals (although I myself do argue that I am far more deserving of the term "liberal" -- in the context of "classical liberal" -- than any modern neo-pseudo-liberal who has misappropriated the term is), I merely use this as an opportunity to point out how a black-and-white, us vs. them, one-dimensional view of political thought bears many of the same problems that arbitrary partisanship delivers. The inevitable result is that logic is removed from political debate in favor of the usual, endless us-vs-them diatribes.

    If we'd been discussing gun rights using logic rather than slinging stereotypes for the last 30 years, we'd probably already have nationwide OC, etc. And both of the so-called "sides" are to blame for this.

    The truth is, RKBA doesn't belong to any side. It's a human right. It's about time people got that into their thick skulls, and I don't care what "party" or "wing" they think they belong to.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    91

    Post imported post

    marshaul has hit my feelings and personal standings on the head. Thank you.

    I like Ron Paul, couldn't agree with everything he said, but I believed he gave a damn. In the end, when he dropped out and put his support behind Chuck Baldwin, I lost my nerve with him. I still like ol' Ron, but I refuse to vote for someone who wants to inject religion into our governing system, like the Constitution Party wishes to. As an athiest, it offends me deeply to attach a deity to a human condition like rights and government.

    In the matter of full disclosure, I put down for Bob Barr in the end, still not completely satisfied with all candidates. Barr was one of the few politicians that probed for the facts after the ATF/FBI clusterf*ck that was Waco. At the start of the election process, I was a fan of Ron Paul on the Republican side and Bill Richardson on the Democratic side.

    AC

  18. #18
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    Cut through everything and there is this: "Bipartisan" means "Conservative Republicans drop the soap". All of you who voted for anyone else but McCain - whom I will heartily agree was not anyone's ideal - might just as well have voted for Obama. I do respect that you thought you were trying to make a point, but the result is that now we have a "president" who runs all over the globe apologizing to the world's worst dictators and tyrants for our efforts at blunting their asaults on freedom, while insulting every leader of a free nation he meets (if he does not snub them outright).

    What? would you have an ideal politician?? All politicians have in them to widely varying degrees and combinations elements of the gangster and the *****. We all have our own version of how things would be if we were Asolute Dictator of the World. And this is not a new thing but is as old as human society. Our Founders understood this and crafted that maarvelous ans sacred document the Constitution of the United States. And politicians wasted no time in trying to pervert it for their own ends. From the Alien and Sedition Acts to the abuse of the Interstate Commerce Clause, wherever Liberty has risen up wannabe tyrants have attempted to strike it down and bend "the masses" to their own will.

    As far as individual politicians go, and as far as I am concerned, any politician who hates or fears my firearm is worthy only of my contempt; as the armed citizen is a threat only to the tyrant. The politician who respects the God-given RTKBA is the one I will have a talk with. But we are talking parties here. Well.

    The reason third parties fail (and deliver votes to the mainstream party their adherents disagree with more) is that they are formed to burst upon the scene with either fringe candidates or candidates no one has ever heard from to run at the Federal level. Be the "third party" the Libertarians or the Socialist Workers, nobody in their right mind is just going to vote for Joe D"Obscurite' before he and his party have proven they can run a city or town and fix the potholes, get the garbage collected and put up a stop sign or speed bump where people think it is needed. And when a guy like Ron Paul loses a primary and his adherents decide to take their ball and go home, if there are enough of those then we get what we are stiuck with now. But the libertarian coterie is not only to blame.

    For instance there is the anti-abortion crowd. Now for the record I think abortion is basically wrong and the abomination commonly known as "partial birth abortion" is particularly sickening and heinous. But I have not been entrusted by Nature and Nature's God with the biological equipment to carry an unborn human in my body, and so not having the responsibility I would not generally presume to judge all cases with one inflexible standard. Those who do I call the "pickled fetus crowd" for their practice of waving jars containing preserved aborted babies about in their many traffic-jam engendering idiotic demontrations. These idiots are for the most part pro-RTKBA. But give them a 2A freindly candidate who disagrees with them one little bit and they, too will stay home and thus help a candidate who is light years worse on both issues gain office.

    And there are other issues and we can talk about this and that and split hairs until the sun goes super-nova and fries us all anyhow. We are Democrat and Republican and a few other more exotic political animals. I myself am an independent conservative nationalist (and a rabid one and I am proud). But I assume (and you know what they say about "assume" ) that we all or almost all are most concerned with the right to keep and openly bear firearms. Because that right is the one that backs up all the others.

    Abandon the Republican party? NO. But the Republicans among us should let that party know that we expect them to defend and protect the Bill of Rights and the Constitution - ALL of it - and the Democrats to do the same with their party; and we should ALL make it clear to ANY candidate that if they do not understand what "shall not be infringed" means, we will vote for someone who does. "Nuff said.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    R a Z o R wrote:
    MITT ROMNEY * BOBBY JINDAL * 2012

    Mitt will be speaking at the NRA meet .

    Hope that by 2012 Mitt will have proven

    himself and made sure for our liberty,

    sovereignty , Constitution , and the

    Right to Keep and Bear Arms .

    If we do not unite in the next twoelections ,

    we deserve what happens to America .

    R a Z o R

    PS , I am a centrist that votes for the best possible .

    It is our free agency to vote or not and I sure hope you do .
    As far as the 2nd amendment is concerned, I am not sure you would get a lot different in Mitt Romney than you would with Obama. In fact, it may be worse because Mitt would have the support of bothhis partyas well asmost Democrats in the signing of"high caliber," lethal weapon bansas well asanother AWB, which he claims to support.

    http://www.ontheissues.org/Governor/...un_Control.htm

    The definition of insanity is voting for the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rockingham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    861

    Post imported post

    Ann Coulter CPAC

    short video of Ann : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaExYKXfOGk

    ____________________________________________

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwjUX6IRX80

    ____________________________________________

    Laura Ingraham CPAC

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jHDKseofPE

    ____________________________________________

    Whowon the CPAC strawpolls the last three years ? MITT ROMNEY

    Who does the progressive liberals and their MSM hate and fear ? MITT ROMNEY


  21. #21
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    My perception from many of the outspoken republicans are they're more conservative where there has been a label of acting purely on religious belief. I seen an article in the newspaper how the "GOP is starting to look like the Religious Party." Hate to break it to them, but the GOP has looked this way for a LONG time. Ditto with poster above. I was for republicans until more each time they started to rip away rights because of their religious beliefs.

    i.e. Stem Cell research which could've saved more lives already for the sake of a few cells which aren't even formed in to an intelligence, brain, nor neural-related cells.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    Roo, re-read by post above in re the pickled fetus crowd. We need to put all that aside and realize that once the 2A goes, everything else goes down the crapper. Even though I disagree with Obama on damn near everything, IF he had had a solid pro-2A record and ran on a platform of nationwide Open Carry/"Shall-Issue" concealed and all that, I WOULD HAVE VOTED FOR HIM. Really.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    insane.kangaroo wrote:
    My perception from many of the outspoken republicans are they're more conservative where there has been a label of acting purely on religious belief. I seen an article in the newspaper how the "GOP is starting to look like the Religious Party." Hate to break it to them, but the GOP has looked this way for a LONG time. Ditto with poster above. I was for republicans until more each time they started to rip away rights because of their religious beliefs.

    x infinity

  24. #24
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Alexcabbie wrote:
    Roo, re-read by post above in re the pickled fetus crowd. We need to put all that aside and realize that once the 2A goes, everything else goes down the crapper. Even though I disagree with Obama on damn near everything, IF he had had a solid pro-2A record and ran on a platform of nationwide Open Carry/"Shall-Issue" concealed and all that, I WOULD HAVE VOTED FOR HIM. Really.
    Aye. Same. While I'm severely disgusted at him for this anti-2A, I love the fact he helped the federal funds ban on embryonic stem cell research lifted. Not too happy on his thoughts about privacy on keeping the anti-privacy bush bills, or asking the supreme court not to take the ATT case... Personally, I'm pro employer. If employees can't voice their opinions and ask for raises then they shouldn't work. I'm anti-Union because people who shouldn't deserve the job often are ones who get the job even though they make huge mistakes and are worthless to the point where they make people who can get ahead without degrees/certs look bad.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rockingham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    861

    Post imported post

    insane.kangaroo wrote:
    My perception from many of the outspoken republicans are they're more conservative where there has been a label of acting purely on religious belief. I seen an article in the newspaper how the "GOP is starting to look like the Religious Party." Hate to break it to them, but the GOP has looked this way for a LONG time. Ditto with poster above. I was for republicans until more each time they started to rip away rights because of their religious beliefs.

    i.e. Stem Cell research which could've saved more lives already for the sake of a few cells which aren't even formed in to an intelligence, brain, nor neural-related cells.

    Iffor medicalreasonsthe elite's goal is to harvest full grown organs and other body parts for medical transplantations from their stem cell clone " package " , how does religious beliefs enter into the debate if one is indeed the elite's " package " ?

    We as a whole have progressed to the point of the discovery of the Higgs Boson god-particle. Knostics and atheist shouldfinally agree about the limitless genius of the Big Bang .

    This particle is part of the plot in the new Ron Howard and Tom Hanks movie .

    __________________________________________________ ____________________

    NIP IT IN THE BUD ...... NIP IT IN THE BUD

    Why let something like the destruction of our Second Amendment , national sovereignty , or the harming of another human being thru the harvesting of their body be allowed to manifest due to ignorance ? Isn't it easier to stop it andnip it in the bud before it blooms and spreads . History has shown that gun control and eugenics is horrible .

    RELENTLESS LOGIC :quirky:quirky:quirky:quirky blueberry pancakes

    Stem cell and cloning is an old debate and thank goodness other cell research has defused the use of stem cells . Now howshall we deal with clone havesting and transnationalism ?




Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •