• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The next Metro Detroit litter cleaning

Michigander

imported post

Update:

Where: Gratiot andI 696, at the parking lot just north of the Coney Island

When: Saturday May 23, at 9:30 AM

Bring: trash bags, recording devices, gloves if desired, rain gear if the forecast is bad

Obviously the Woodward cleanup was a good success. But it showed me a couple important things. Most importantly, that we're probably not going to need people to haul trash, because there are usually going to be public waste baskets, and we probably won't find a dump truck's worth of litter. Additionally, it showed me that a few people parking somewhere and doing a 2 or 3 mile round trip will work out fine.

I want to do another litter pick up in the near future. I don't care if a lot of people make it, in fact just 2 or 3 is perfect. I like the idea that a few of us local metro detroiters can get together, and that other things can be going on elsewhere in the state that same day or weekend.

So anyway, I want someone to propose the location and time of the next one, preferably this weekend or next. If no one has a prefered spot to clean up litter, I can select one.

Who's interested?

Michigander

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Mound, Van Dyke, Gratiot, Groesbeck, Big Beaver, Hall Road?
Works for me! Got anywhere real specific in mind?

Devildog wrote:
this weekend is bad for me my son has football camp sat and sun sorry.
That means you should schedule the next one after this. :celebrate

FatboyCykes

imported post

I work most Sundays, so Sat. would probably be better for me. Almost any Sat., just pick one in the near future and I'll clear it with my much better half. After this, I will have to do these in moderation, she will expect me to start cutting the grass or something if I keep this stuff up.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Wife has wedding shower this Sat. Next at this time is clear for me :D I should clarify, I have three sons under the age of 5, so I will be watching them. Too young to participate :(

Michigander

imported post

Next saturday, on Big Beaver (if I'm gonna have to select one of the ones you said) works for me. But any location would be fine with me. Isn't fair if I pick em all. ;)

About your sons, under 5 is definitely too young to pick trash off the side of the road, but that's why we do picnics too. :cool:

FatboyCykes

imported post

Great, then lets do a picinic next Sat. :p

And I'd have to agree with Generaldet. As much as I'd rather walk Big Beaver, than Gratiot, I think if we're going to spend time doing it, we might as well do it right. Don't get me wrong, Woodward was great, and more than anything, I just wanted to meet some of you cats, but I think if we do two or three miles down Gratiot, we'll end up with two or three times the trash we did on Woodward :D

Again, I'd rather do a picinic for the aforementioned reasons, but that's just the lazy in me talking.

Michigander

imported post

You guys can hash out where you feel like doing it, because I honestly don't care. Just as long as we show up somewhere. :cool:

Remember, we can always do both a picnic and a litter clean up at the same meeting.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

How about 9:30 at Gratiot. Either myself or one of the other guys that's close to the area can checkout to see which location might be best. My guess would be around 9 or 10 mile in that area.

Doug if you are able to make it can you bring one of those 3xl shirts you mentioned, if it fits I'll take it.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Well, depending on time and whatnot, there is a Coney Island right on the corner of Gratiot and 11 mile(696). So late breakfast, early lunch, w/e. Also, Peters Gun shop is @ 12 and Gratiot.