Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: I want a gun

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    Apologies for the "dumb" question.

    In short I want a firearm and I'm only twenty. I am tired of waiting for my 21st birthday. I believe I can get a rifle, is that correct?

    If so, how and what should I/can Iget?

    Spencer

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Washoe County, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    256

    Post imported post

    I believe you can also get a handgun transferred to you (through an FFL) from a family member as well... Californians, correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't lived in CA in 10 years and some things have changed since then.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    FFL?

    How 'bout from a friend from another state?

  4. #4
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    TheWarrior wrote:
    FFL?

    How 'bout from a friend from another state?
    Interstate transfers of handgunsmust be done by an FFL.





  5. #5
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bad_ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cupertino, California, USA
    Posts
    328

    Post imported post

    Spencer,

    You might want to preface your eagerness to buy a firearm with why you are tired of waiting. People that are eager to buy a gun make me nervous

    Giving you the benefit of the doubt (and not reading too much into the picture of you in a trench coat on your blog - j/k) I'd suggest two rifles.

    1st. A ruger 10/22, great time tested rifle that has a lot of aftermarket parts and is cheap to shoot (.22lr)

    2nd. Buy and AR-15 off-list lower. Then assemble the rest of the rifle as a hobby (when your budget permits) to tide you over until your 21st birthday.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    65

    Post imported post

    TheWarrior wrote:
    Apologies for the "dumb" question.

    In short I want a firearm and I'm only twenty. I am tired of waiting for my 21st birthday. I believe I can get a rifle, is that correct?

    If so, how and what should I/can Iget?

    Spencer
    TheWarrior,

    Amy and I have already told you to move to Utah already! Lol. Fancy running into you here. See your PM.

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    wayneco wrote:
    I believe you can also get a handgun transferred to you (through an FFL) from a family member as well... Californians, correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't lived in CA in 10 years and some things have changed since then.
    Correct. CA law only prevents those under age 21 from purchasing a handgun. To my knowledge there is no law against having one gifted to you.

    And don't worry, your eagerness to own a firearm doesn't make me nervous. In fact it makes me nervous when people aren't eager to own firearms... somethin' wrong with them types.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    Nuttycomputer wrote:
    TheWarrior wrote:
    Apologies for the "dumb" question.

    In short I want a firearm and I'm only twenty. I am tired of waiting for my 21st birthday. I believe I can get a rifle, is that correct?

    If so, how and what should I/can Iget?

    Spencer
    TheWarrior,

    Amy and I have already told you to move to Utah already! Lol. Fancy running into you here. See your PM.
    Ahhh!! Hey buddy, great to see you here. I'll leave Cali someday, just not sure where I'd go really. Possibly Montana I've been thinking....

    bad_ace: Haha, hilarious! That's Bruce Wayne from Batman Begins. Flattering that you think the buff bad*** Batman is me, though. :-)

    I'm tired of waiting because I want to get started on...well I guess I want to get to the point where I feel safe and ready to protect my loved ones.

    Ca_Lib: Hehe, yes indeed. Thanks for the information.

    While on the subject can I get a cheap M1 Garand? How does one keep a rifle locked up on a limited budget?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Washoe County, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    256

    Post imported post

    I got my first pistol, a new Browning Hi-Power 9mm from the Grant Boys in Newport Beach when I was about 14 or 15. I had my grandma buy it with my money, they transferred it to her, I am now in my early 40s and I still own it.

    I would suggest anyone who is interested in or wants to be a responsible gun owner to become one as soon as possible, learn how to use it safely, how to maintain it, act as an evangelist to others of the shooting hobby and your 2A rights and never lose your interest.

    Those are the sort of gun owners we need for the hobby, for the right, for society at large.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    Grants eh? I know of that store....

    You would have been proud of me then, yesterday. I was simply taking out my gun magazine to read at work and it was hijacked (in a good way) and soon became the object of a near feeding frenzy.

    At the end of this lunchtime escapade, I wrote down www.opencarry.org on slips of paper and handed out four of them.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    bad_ace wrote:
    People that are eager to buy a gun make me nervous
    Even being in norcal on vacationfor a week with no gun makes ME nervous.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    38

    Post imported post

    bad_ace wrote:
    Spencer,

    You might want to preface your eagerness to buy a firearm with why you are tired of waiting. People that are eager to buy a gun make me nervous



    And I think THIS GUY in particular should make you nervous. He's twenty years old and is chomping at the bit to get a gun, like waiting until he's twenty one is the end of the world. Then there's his user name, Warrior and the picture................uh, I'm not a psychiatrist but this guy makes ME nervous too!

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    CA law only prevents those under age 21 from purchasing a handgun. To my knowledge there is no law against having one gifted to you.
    We are tracking all private transfers as illegal in California, so that would include gifts. Fedeal law precludes dealers transfes of handguns to thos under 21. But a 18 year old can move into California with a handgun, reporting its importation to CA DOJ of course on their form within a month. And that 18 year old can open carry that handgun in California.

    Check our maps - if somthing needs updating, lets us know and cite to state statute.



  14. #14
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    CA law only prevents those under age 21 from purchasing a handgun. To my knowledge there is no law against having one gifted to you.
    We are tracking all private transfers as illegal in California, so that would include gifts. Fedeal law precludes dealers transfes of handguns to thos under 21. But a 18 year old can move into California with a handgun, reporting its importation to CA DOJ of course on their form within a month. And that 18 year old can open carry that handgun in California.

    Check our maps - if somthing needs updating, lets us know and cite to state statute.
    I'm not up to snuff on the transfer laws, but it is my understanding that interfamilial transfers are an exception to the rule. I know CA still requires the transfer to be done at an FFL. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the transfer laws could chime in and correct me here...

    And of course, if one wanted to open carry, one does not have to own a handgun. One could get their CA Handgun Safety Cert from any FFL, and could then legally borrow a handgun for up to 30 days without it being considered a "transfer." There's no limit on the number of times one can lend a firearm, as long as it is returned to the owner's possession at least every 30 days.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  15. #15
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    HariCarry wrote:
    bad_ace wrote:
    Spencer,

    You might want to preface your eagerness to buy a firearm with why you are tired of waiting. People that are eager to buy a gun make me nervous
    And I think THIS GUY in particular should make you nervous. He's twenty years old and is chomping at the bit to get a gun, like waiting until he's twenty one is the end of the world. Then there's his user name, Warrior and the picture................uh, I'm not a psychiatrist but this guy makes ME nervous too!
    Obviously you're not a psychiatrist... because your fear is completely unfounded.

    I normally ignore trolls, but I just gotta jump on this one.

    First, "chomping at the bit" to own a handgun is not in any way an indication that he will be an irresponsible gun owner. And yes, waiting until he's 21 could be the end of the world, at least for him. The right to self defense exists as much at 18 as it does at 21. It's unfortunate that the law doesn't protect that right yet - expect this to change in the near future, as we continue to challenge stupid laws.

    Next, his user name and picture don't indicate he would be an irresponsible gun owner either. I just don't see how they would in any way...

    I once read a paper by a real psychiatrist, and he said some interesting things about people with irrational fears of guns/gunowners. Essentially, it comes down to sexual disfunction and/or projection of one's mental illnesses onto the targeted gun/gunowner. In sum, if you irrationally fear firearms, it's usually a sign of limp dick; if you irrationally fear gunowners, it's a sign that you actually fear what you would do with a gun, and are projecting those violent tendancies onto the gunowner.

    You may want to seek professional help, as you are exhibiting irrational fears.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    65

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    First, "chomping at the bit" to own a handgun is not in any way an indication that he will be an irresponsible gun owner. And yes, waiting until he's 21 could be the end of the world, at least for him. The right to self defense exists as much at 18 as it does at 21. It's unfortunate that the law doesn't protect that right yet - expect this to change in the near future, as we continue to challenge stupid laws.
    I have to agree here. It's a shame that 18 year old men at one point may be required (draft) to defend their country with GUNS, missiles, tanks, etc. Pretty much anything we can train them with and yet the right for them to defend themselves is always challenged or in some cases stripped away completely.

    One of two things need to happen:

    1) If one is considered an adult at 18 all rights/privledges of adult hood including any rights as it relates to Gunsshould be bestowed upon you.

    2) If America truly believes some rights must be held off until 21 then we need to change everything to be the adult age of 21. Including the Draft.

    Personally I prefer option one since I'm only 20. My State (UT)thankfully allows me to purchase a handgun from individuals as soon as I'm able to possess, but this nonsense of buying from a dealer with a special peace of paper being restricted to 21 is just that. Nonsense.



  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    HariCarry wrote:
    bad_ace wrote:
    Spencer,

    You might want to preface your eagerness to buy a firearm with why you are tired of waiting. People that are eager to buy a gun make me nervous
    And I think THIS GUY in particular should make you nervous. He's twenty years old and is chomping at the bit to get a gun, like waiting until he's twenty one is the end of the world. Then there's his user name, Warrior and the picture................uh, I'm not a psychiatrist but this guy makes ME nervous too!
    Obviously you're not a psychiatrist... because your fear is completely unfounded.

    I normally ignore trolls, but I just gotta jump on this one.

    First, "chomping at the bit" to own a handgun is not in any way an indication that he will be an irresponsible gun owner. And yes, waiting until he's 21 could be the end of the world, at least for him. The right to self defense exists as much at 18 as it does at 21. It's unfortunate that the law doesn't protect that right yet - expect this to change in the near future, as we continue to challenge stupid laws.

    Next, his user name and picture don't indicate he would be an irresponsible gun owner either. I just don't see how they would in any way...

    I once read a paper by a real psychiatrist, and he said some interesting things about people with irrational fears of guns/gunowners. Essentially, it comes down to sexual disfunction and/or projection of one's mental illnesses onto the targeted gun/gunowner. In sum, if you irrationally fear firearms, it's usually a sign of limp dick; if you irrationally fear gunowners, it's a sign that you actually fear what you would do with a gun, and are projecting those violent tendancies onto the gunowner.

    You may want to seek professional help, as you are exhibiting irrational fears.

    Thank you, Ca_Lib, I appreciate that very much! I have little to say as I don't need to justify myself to others. I'm skeptical of yourbeliefs of the right to self-defense, and for that matter youleave us no info on your profile. As to my picture, it's merely Chow Yun-Fat from a movie. My usernamealso hasits origins in a fictional character Ionce created for a story.

    Nuttycomputer, seriously! I agree 110%. We can go die for the messes the politicians make, we can shoot, kill, blow up, but at home we're considered irresponsible?

    Someone explain to me why this isn't nonsense.




  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Woodland, California, USA
    Posts
    155

    Post imported post

    Nuttycomputer, seriously! I agree 110%. We can go die for the messes the politicians make, we can shoot, kill, blow up, but at home we're considered irresponsible?

    Someone explain to me why this isn't nonsense.
    it cant be done.

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    Sales, Loans, or Transfers of Firearms

    It is unlawful for a person who is not a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Penal Code section 12071, to sell, loan, or otherwise transfer a firearm to a non-licensed person unless the sale, loan, or transfer is completed through a licensed firearms dealer. (Penal Code §§ 12071, 12072, 12082.)

    Exemption:

    Firearms obtained through intestate succession or by bequest, sales or transfers between “immediate family” members. Immediate family means parent and child, and grandparent and grandchild. (NOTE: Individuals who receive a concealable firearm in this manner must obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate. The acquisition of a handgun in this manner must be reported within 30 days to the Department of Justice on forms provided by the Department of Justice.) (Penal Code §§ 12078(i)(1)(B), 12078(c)(2)(A).)
    The above indicates that an immediate family member can transfer weapons without use f an FFL. Look at the other important requirements (HSC, and DOJ form).

    Sales or Transfers of Firearms or Related Devices to Minors

    It is unlawful for a firearms dealer to sell a handgun to any person under the age of 21 or any other firearm to a person under the age of 18. (Penal Code § 12072(b).)

    ...No person, corporation, or firm shall sell, loan, or transfer a firearm to a minor. (Penal Code § 12072(a)(3).)
    Again, limitation for age sales are only against DEALERS. People are only not allowed to transfer or sell to minors. 18 is not a minor.

    I hope this helps. And this is from the attached form from the CA DOJ. It is a little old, but mostly current.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    Theseus wrote:
    Sales, Loans, or Transfers of Firearms

    It is unlawful for a person who is not a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Penal Code section 12071, to sell, loan, or otherwise transfer a firearm to a non-licensed person unless the sale, loan, or transfer is completed through a licensed firearms dealer. (Penal Code §§ 12071, 12072, 12082.)

    Exemption:

    Firearms obtained through intestate succession or by bequest, sales or transfers between “immediate family” members. Immediate family means parent and child, and grandparent and grandchild. (NOTE: Individuals who receive a concealable firearm in this manner must obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate. The acquisition of a handgun in this manner must be reported within 30 days to the Department of Justice on forms provided by the Department of Justice.) (Penal Code §§ 12078(i)(1)(B), 12078(c)(2)(A).)
    This is how I got my first pistol, got it from my dad. No FFL required. Fill out the form and send it in with a $18 dollar money order. You will get a letter back from the DOJ saying you are clear to ownfirearms.
    :celebrate


  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Susanville, California, USA
    Posts
    529

    Post imported post

    Hi Warrior,



    Yeah I got my first gun a Winchester 30-30, for hunting deer at age 12,

    then at age 14, I worked and got my first pistol Ruger 22 Mag. Still got them both.

    Back then I could walk 3 miles to the dump to target practice and the cops would drive by and wave hi. No big deal ! ( Ah a kid going hunting or shooting). This was in my home state Iowa, It sure has changed now ! Getting as bad a California with gun stuff.

    My how times have changed !

    Yeah go for it Warrior, get one soon as you can ,and learn gun safety, and have some fun !

    Sargent York, was from Tenn, and shot since he was a young boy, he was a war Hero in WW-1 . Think he stared at age 10.

    Go for it ! Robin47

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    Thanks for all the advice and support guys! Decoligny, your post was quite helpful.

    Regards,

    Spencer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •