• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want a gun

TheWarrior

imported post

Apologies for the "dumb" question.

In short I want a firearm and I'm only twenty. I am tired of waiting for my 21st birthday. I believe I can get a rifle, is that correct?

If so, how and what should I/can Iget?

Spencer

wayneco

imported post

I believe you can also get a handgun transferred to you (through an FFL) from a family member as well... Californians, correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't lived in CA in 10 years and some things have changed since then.

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Spencer,

You might want to preface your eagerness to buy a firearm with why you are tired of waiting. People that are eager to buy a gun make me nervous ;)

Giving you the benefit of the doubt (and not reading too much into the picture of you in a trench coat on your blog - j/k) I'd suggest two rifles.

1st. A ruger 10/22, great time tested rifle that has a lot of aftermarket parts and is cheap to shoot (.22lr)

2nd. Buy and AR-15 off-list lower. Then assemble the rest of the rifle as a hobby (when your budget permits) to tide you over until your 21st birthday.

Nuttycomputer

imported post

TheWarrior wrote:

In short I want a firearm and I'm only twenty. I am tired of waiting for my 21st birthday. I believe I can get a rifle, is that correct?

Spencer

TheWarrior,

Amy and I have already told you to move to Utah already! Lol. Fancy running into you here. See your PM.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

wayneco wrote:
I believe you can also get a handgun transferred to you (through an FFL) from a family member as well... Californians, correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't lived in CA in 10 years and some things have changed since then.
Correct. CA law only prevents those under age 21 from purchasing a handgun. To my knowledge there is no law against having one gifted to you.

And don't worry, your eagerness to own a firearm doesn't make me nervous. In fact it makes me nervous when people aren't eager to own firearms... somethin' wrong with them types.:lol:

TheWarrior

imported post

Nuttycomputer wrote:
TheWarrior wrote:

Spencer

TheWarrior,

Amy and I have already told you to move to Utah already! Lol. Fancy running into you here. See your PM.

Ahhh!! Hey buddy, great to see you here. I'll leave Cali someday, just not sure where I'd go really. Possibly Montana I've been thinking....

bad_ace: Haha, hilarious! That's Bruce Wayne from Batman Begins. Flattering that you think the buff bad*** Batman is me, though. :)

I'm tired of waiting because I want to get started on...well I guess I want to get to the point where I feel safe and ready to protect my loved ones.

Ca_Lib: Hehe, yes indeed. Thanks for the information.

While on the subject can I get a cheap M1 Garand? How does one keep a rifle locked up on a limited budget?

wayneco

imported post

I got my first pistol, a new Browning Hi-Power 9mm from the Grant Boys in Newport Beach when I was about 14 or 15. I had my grandma buy it with my money, they transferred it to her, I am now in my early 40s and I still own it.

I would suggest anyone who is interested in or wants to be a responsible gun owner to become one as soon as possible, learn how to use it safely, how to maintain it, act as an evangelist to others of the shooting hobby and your 2A rights and never lose your interest.

Those are the sort of gun owners we need for the hobby, for the right, for society at large.

TheWarrior

imported post

Grants eh? I know of that store....

You would have been proud of me then, yesterday. I was simply taking out my gun magazine to read at work and it was hijacked (in a good way) and soon became the object of a near feeding frenzy.

At the end of this lunchtime escapade, I wrote down www.opencarry.org on slips of paper and handed out four of them. :D

HariCarry

imported post

bad_ace wrote:
Spencer,

You might want to preface your eagerness to buy a firearm with why you are tired of waiting. People that are eager to buy a gun make me nervous ;)

And I think THIS GUY in particular should make you nervous. He's twenty years old and is chomping at the bit to get a gun, like waiting until he's twenty one is the end of the world. Then there's his user name, Warrior and the picture................uh, I'm not a psychiatrist but this guy makes ME nervous too!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
CA law only prevents those under age 21 from purchasing a handgun. To my knowledge there is no law against having one gifted to you.
We are tracking all private transfers as illegal in California, so that would include gifts. Fedeal law precludes dealers transfes of handguns to thos under 21. But a 18 year old can move into California with a handgun, reporting its importation to CA DOJ of course on their form within a month. And that 18 year old can open carry that handgun in California.

Check our maps - if somthing needs updating, lets us know and cite to state statute.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
CA law only prevents those under age 21 from purchasing a handgun. To my knowledge there is no law against having one gifted to you.
We are tracking all private transfers as illegal in California, so that would include gifts. Fedeal law precludes dealers transfes of handguns to thos under 21. But a 18 year old can move into California with a handgun, reporting its importation to CA DOJ of course on their form within a month. And that 18 year old can open carry that handgun in California.

Check our maps - if somthing needs updating, lets us know and cite to state statute.
I'm not up to snuff on the transfer laws, but it is my understanding that interfamilial transfers are an exception to the rule. I know CA still requires the transfer to be done at an FFL. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the transfer laws could chime in and correct me here...

And of course, if one wanted to open carry, one does not have to own a handgun. One could get their CA Handgun Safety Cert from any FFL, and could then legally borrow a handgun for up to 30 days without it being considered a "transfer." There's no limit on the number of times one can lend a firearm, as long as it is returned to the owner's possession at least every 30 days.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

HariCarry wrote:
bad_ace wrote:
Spencer,

And I think THIS GUY in particular should make you nervous. He's twenty years old and is chomping at the bit to get a gun, like waiting until he's twenty one is the end of the world. Then there's his user name, Warrior and the picture................uh, I'm not a psychiatrist but this guy makes ME nervous too!
Obviously you're not a psychiatrist... because your fear is completely unfounded.

I normally ignore trolls, but I just gotta jump on this one.

First, "chomping at the bit" to own a handgun is not in any way an indication that he will be an irresponsible gun owner. And yes, waiting until he's 21 could be the end of the world, at least for him. The right to self defense exists as much at 18 as it does at 21. It's unfortunate that the law doesn't protect that right yet - expect this to change in the near future, as we continue to challenge stupid laws.

Next, his user name and picture don't indicate he would be an irresponsible gun owner either. I just don't see how they would in any way...

I once read a paper by a real psychiatrist, and he said some interesting things about people with irrational fears of guns/gunowners. Essentially, it comes down to sexual disfunction and/or projection of one's mental illnesses onto the targeted gun/gunowner. In sum, if you irrationally fear firearms, it's usually a sign of limp dick; if you irrationally fear gunowners, it's a sign that you actually fear what you would do with a gun, and are projecting those violent tendancies onto the gunowner.

You may want to seek professional help, as you are exhibiting irrational fears.

Nuttycomputer

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
First, "chomping at the bit" to own a handgun is not in any way an indication that he will be an irresponsible gun owner. And yes, waiting until he's 21 could be the end of the world, at least for him. The right to self defense exists as much at 18 as it does at 21. It's unfortunate that the law doesn't protect that right yet - expect this to change in the near future, as we continue to challenge stupid laws.

I have to agree here. It's a shame that 18 year old men at one point may be required (draft) to defend their country with GUNS, missiles, tanks, etc. Pretty much anything we can train them with and yet the right for them to defend themselves is always challenged or in some cases stripped away completely.

One of two things need to happen:

1) If one is considered an adult at 18 all rights/privledges of adult hood including any rights as it relates to Gunsshould be bestowed upon you.

2) If America truly believes some rights must be held off until 21 then we need to change everything to be the adult age of 21. Including the Draft.

Personally I prefer option one since I'm only 20. My State (UT)thankfully allows me to purchase a handgun from individuals as soon as I'm able to possess, but this nonsense of buying from a dealer with a special peace of paper being restricted to 21 is just that. Nonsense.

TheWarrior

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
HariCarry wrote:
bad_ace wrote:
Spencer,

Obviously you're not a psychiatrist... because your fear is completely unfounded.

I normally ignore trolls, but I just gotta jump on this one.

Next, his user name and picture don't indicate he would be an irresponsible gun owner either. I just don't see how they would in any way...

I once read a paper by a real psychiatrist, and he said some interesting things about people with irrational fears of guns/gunowners. Essentially, it comes down to sexual disfunction and/or projection of one's mental illnesses onto the targeted gun/gunowner. In sum, if you irrationally fear firearms, it's usually a sign of limp dick; if you irrationally fear gunowners, it's a sign that you actually fear what you would do with a gun, and are projecting those violent tendancies onto the gunowner.

You may want to seek professional help, as you are exhibiting irrational fears.

Thank you, Ca_Lib, I appreciate that very much! I have little to say as I don't need to justify myself to others. I'm skeptical of yourbeliefs of the right to self-defense, and for that matter youleave us no info on your profile. As to my picture, it's merely Chow Yun-Fat from a movie. My usernamealso hasits origins in a fictional character Ionce created for a story.

Nuttycomputer, seriously! I agree 110%. We can go die for the messes the politicians make, we can shoot, kill, blow up, but at home we're considered irresponsible?

Someone explain to me why this isn't nonsense.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sales, Loans, or Transfers of Firearms

It is unlawful for a person who is not a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Penal Code section 12071, to sell, loan, or otherwise transfer a firearm to a non-licensed person unless the sale, loan, or transfer is completed through a licensed firearms dealer. (Penal Code §§ 12071, 12072, 12082.)

Exemption:

Firearms obtained through intestate succession or by bequest, sales or transfers between “immediate family” members. Immediate family means parent and child, and grandparent and grandchild. (NOTE: Individuals who receive a concealable firearm in this manner must obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate. The acquisition of a handgun in this manner must be reported within 30 days to the Department of Justice on forms provided by the Department of Justice.) (Penal Code §§ 12078(i)(1)(B), 12078(c)(2)(A).)
The above indicates that an immediate family member can transfer weapons without use f an FFL. Look at the other important requirements (HSC, and DOJ form).

Sales or Transfers of Firearms or Related Devices to Minors

It is unlawful for a firearms dealer to sell a handgun to any person under the age of 21 or any other firearm to a person under the age of 18. (Penal Code § 12072(b).)

...No person, corporation, or firm shall sell, loan, or transfer a firearm to a minor. (Penal Code § 12072(a)(3).)
Again, limitation for age sales are only against DEALERS. People are only not allowed to transfer or sell to minors. 18 is not a minor.

I hope this helps. And this is from the attached form from the CA DOJ. It is a little old, but mostly current.

98 SR20

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Sales, Loans, or Transfers of Firearms

It is unlawful for a person who is not a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Penal Code section 12071, to sell, loan, or otherwise transfer a firearm to a non-licensed person unless the sale, loan, or transfer is completed through a licensed firearms dealer. (Penal Code §§ 12071, 12072, 12082.)

Exemption:

Firearms obtained through intestate succession or by bequest, sales or transfers between “immediate family” members. Immediate family means parent and child, and grandparent and grandchild. (NOTE: Individuals who receive a concealable firearm in this manner must obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate. The acquisition of a handgun in this manner must be reported within 30 days to the Department of Justice on forms provided by the Department of Justice.) (Penal Code §§ 12078(i)(1)(B), 12078(c)(2)(A).)
This is how I got my first pistol, got it from my dad. No FFL required. Fill out the form and send it in with a $18 dollar money order. You will get a letter back from the DOJ saying you are clear to ownfirearms.
:celebrate