• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

another uneventful day.

utahglock

imported post

well since I didnt have a CCW permit I didnt OC except 1 time in the last year, when i walked down to what was the ZCMI food court before they ripped it down.

But now since today the new law went into effect that you can now legally OC in a vehicle with out a permit.

I walked into the 7-11 at 100 south 300 east, Neither Cashier or customer said a thing, I bought a Cherry pepsi and a hot dog. Left. No problems

I walked into to the Taco Bell at 400 south 600 east, Ordered some food, and drinks for my husband and I. No one said a thing. Didnt even get a cold stare. or anything of the sorts. we sat down ate our food. Enjoyed about 1 1/2 hours of conversation. Went about business using restroom, refilling drinks. No one said a thing.

So today was a good day :) no issues. I happened to be wearing a utes ball cap, black T-shirt, digi camo pants, and sandles... Maybe thats why no one said anything.

bmeldrum

imported post

Sounds like a pretty good day to be carrying. It sounds like my day, it was this last Sunday, I was in my church clothes (white shirt, tie, dress pants) and had my XD .40 in it's holster on my belt on the outside of my pantsat the 6 o'clock position (middle of back) and had to stop in at the Texaco in Lehi on State st & 300 W (had to have some caffine). I walked up to the counter and the clerk she says "You startled me when I saw your gun, I guess I should be use to it as I sleep with one under my mattress". I just smiled and paid for my drink and said "you should be use to it already we're in Lehi, almost everyone I know carries, plus we're just down the road from the police station, they come in all the time". I asked here "you haven't seen any one carry a gun in a public place before?" "She was like well only LE's".I justthanked her and left.

Interesting how there's still many people out there that don't know about OC'ing

Nuttycomputer

imported post

utahglock wrote:
But now since today the new law went into effect that you can now legally OC in a vehicle with out a permit.

Glad you had an uneventful day. This is usually the case. I've only had one issue and it was in a sensitive area (School just as it was getting out) The other issue is always my father who wants me to cover up because of paranoid people. He's not an attention person. I swear he brings more attention to my gun then anyone would normally :banghead:

Just like to point out one thing. From my understanding you could always open carry an Unloaded gun without a permit in a vehicle. Now you can Conceal or carry a loaded gun without a permit in a vehicle.

Just make sure to make it Utah Unloaded before you leave the vehicle though ;)

thx997303

imported post

Man, I used to OC there all the time bmeldrum, she must have started there after august 08' Havent been home much since.

thx997303

imported post

Man, I used to OC there all the time bmeldrum, she must have started there after august 08' Havent been home much since.

swillden

imported post

Nuttycomputer wrote:
Just make sure to make it Utah Unloaded before you leave the vehicle though ;)
Exactly right. If you're going to be getting in and out of the vehicle, in practice you'll probably want to just keep it Utah-unloaded (with a Glock that means no round in the chamber). That's safer, IMO, than chambering a round every time you get into the car and then unloading before you get out, if for no other reason than constant loading and unloading may push the bullet back into the casing which can cause it to become dangerously overpressured if you have to shoot it.

Overpressure rounds are particularly problematic in the Glock or any other pistol with a partially-supported chamber and polymer frame.

The new law helps people who want to leave a gun in the glove box, but I don't think it's particularly good for those who want to be able to OC around town without a permit.

younggun20

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
it does remove the ability of a LEO to interpret OCing in aholster as concealing.

Very handy.
So just to make sure, i can OC out side the car step into the car leave it utah loaded and on my hip while driving

swillden

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
it does remove the ability of a LEO to interpret OCing in aholster as concealing.

Very handy.
So just to make sure, i can OC out side the car step into the car leave it utah loaded and on my hip while driving
Utah unloaded, yes. You can load it while in the car, but it must be UNloaded while outside the car. I'd leave it unloaded.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

swillden wrote:
younggun20 wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

Very handy.
Utah unloaded, yes. You can load it while in the car, but it must be UNloaded while outside the car. I'd leave it unloaded.

Yesterday coming back from Ogden on my MC (Ocing of course) I had a Sheriff behind me at the Traffic Stop on Bangerter & 35th going south. I saw him run my plates and of course he did nothing. After the light he passed me as if nothing ever happened.

Couple of days ago I had a MC Cop (WVC) 2 cars behind me 1 lane over on my right (going north) and after the light he pulled a car over for speeding. I know he and the other MC Cop saw me OCing. The car that was pulled over saw me OCing because it hit the brakes just as they saw the cop(s) with the speed guns. Can you imagine the conversation...

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?

Suspect: No. Maybe. No.

Officer: You were speeding and weaving wrecklessly in and out of traffic.

Suspect : But did you see the guy on the Bike?? He had a GUN on his hip??? Shouldn't you stop and arrest HIM instead?

Officer: Sorry to disappoint you but that IS Legal and besides we know who he is. TRUST ME. We know who he is:lol:.

Officer: Here is your ticket.

The Face of the Speeder:what:....Priceless:celebrate

TJ

younggun20

imported post

swillden wrote:
younggun20 wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

Very handy.

Thats what I meant to say UN loaded... my apologies. :D

swillden

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
Thats what I meant to say UN loaded... my apologies. :D
I thought it might have just been a typo, but I figure it's better to clarify unnecessarily than have somebody end up in trouble over a misunderstanding!

Police who fail to understand the law and apply it wrongly get a stern talking-to at most, but citizens can end up in prison!

younggun20

imported post

I thought it might have just been a typo, but I figure it's better to clarify unnecessarily than have somebody end up in trouble over a misunderstanding!

Police who fail to understand the law and apply it wrongly get a stern talking-to at most, but citizens can end up in prison!

Ok since were on this subject, I need a little help. Since I started OCing I have had only 2 nay sayers, Both work for SLC Jail In processing and booking. Both say it is un lawful for anyone under 21 to carry a gun, unless in a designated shooting area or competition or Private Property. I have argued my side with multiple Utah codes and so forth. They have replied with at work they have asked 2 sgts from UHP, WVC, Sandy, and one from ATF. All say it is un lawful for a person under 21 to carry a gun. Are there any LEO's on here that are willing to help me out on this? I dont want to rub it in a say ne ner ne ner ne ner or nothing like that, but I want them to be educated as well. Any help is welcome. Thank you in advaced.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

People are dumb by nature. ;)

A lot of people think that the only legal way to carry a gun in Utah is with a permit.

Since you need to be 21 to get a Utah permit, or buy a handgun from a dealer, most people will assume carry age to be 21.

Just have them ask the ranking LEO in Utah. Attorney General mark Shurtleff.