• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black Hawk Serpa Holsters

rpyne

imported post

Serpa and Safariland may be good holsters but neither of them make a holster for any of my carry firearms. I did finally find a duty holster for my Ruger P89 made by Uncle Mikes. Still no luck for my Daewoo DP51 (my favorite) or my Browning Hi-power.

Chili

imported post

I just wanted to throw in that I bought my Serpa at an Academy Sports (sporting goods chain).

And to the OP, if you are timid about using your credit card online you can go buy a rechargeable gift card for those type of purchases and just 'load' it as you need it.

Sahib0120

imported post

I bought my serpa holster for my G17 on ebay for about $30. Most sellers on there will accept money orders, checks, or paypal.

.45acp

imported post

Combat Vet,

I just bought a Serpa (1911 RT Hand) based upon the comments in this and other forums extolling the virtues of the Serpa. I personally have several problems with the holster, so here are my comments.

1, I does not carry as closely as good leather, IMO, it does not conceal as well as a good leather holster. Regardless of OC or CC, I do not want a pistol standing out from my body, with the butt banging into things.

2, The holster moves around during activity. It moves fore and aft as well as flopping from muzzle to butt. The attachment point at holster to belt loop create a hinge point that allows movement. A good 2 loop leather holster does not do this.

3, Unnecessary wears marks on the finish.

4, Retention is OK, but nothing special.

5, Price, not much plastic for 60 bucks.

In my experience, it is tough to beat a high quality leather holster system. Milt Sparks or Mitch Rosen are 2 of the best, I carry Rosen everyday OC or CC.

Just my 5 cents worth, the Serpa may work great for you but I was not overly impressed.

Steve

jeeper1

imported post

2, The holster moves around during activity. It moves fore and aft as well as flopping from muzzle to butt.

That sounds more like a belt problem than the holster. Mine is a hassle to position on my belt because it doesn't want to slide.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Dahwg wrote:
insane.kangaroo wrote:
Get a Safariland, they've better retention systems anyway. ;)

Or SpecOps. In other topic, the very nice Falco holsters have risen again if you want a pretty holster.

I know serpas are the favorite on this board bit I have to agree with this. The Safariland are much better. I own and use both but the Safariland is FAR and away the better holster. don't get me wrong, I think the serpa is good just think the Safariland SLS and ALS systems are just better
I'm sorry, but no. How can you say Safariland is much better? The retention strap on that holster is obsolete compared to the retention of Serpa that keeps your hand in proper position on your firearm. If you want the best retention, get a Serpa level 3 and nobody is getting that gun from you.

.45acp

imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
2, The holster moves around during activity. It moves fore and aft as well as flopping from muzzle to butt.

That sounds more like a belt problem than the holster. Mine is a hassle to position on my belt because it doesn't want to slide.

Jeeper1, no it is not belt problem, I used the Wilderness 1.5” 5 Stitch Instructor Belt. It is the design of the holster, the attachment between the holster and belt loops create a pivot point that causes my criticism. In retrospect, I noticed more flopping from butt to muzzle than fore and aft. But the fore and aft movement was still there. As I stated previously, with a good two loop leather holster/belt combination the holster/pistol will not move period.

I'm not saying the SERPA is a bad holster, I just do not think it carries as securely or close fitting as a premium leather holster. For strictly OC it may work well, but I tend to wear concealment type holsters OC, I find that people do not notice the pistol/mag carries as readily, and they do carry the pistol with less movement.

The SERPA is a lower priced holster, and the carry, design and materials reflects this. No insult intended, and I’m not being critical of your choice of holster, if it works for you that is what’s important.

Just my 5 cents worth

Steve

SpringerXDacp

imported post

.45acp wrote:
jeeper1 wrote:

Jeeper1, no it is not belt problem, I used the Wilderness 1.5” 5 Stitch Instructor Belt. It is the design of the holster, the attachment between the holster and belt loops create a pivot point that causes my criticism. In retrospect, I noticed more flopping from butt to muzzle than fore and aft. But the fore and aft movement was still there. As I stated previously, with a good two loop leather holster/belt combination the holster/pistol will not move period.

I'm not saying the SERPA is a bad holster, I just do not think it carries as securely or close fitting as a premium leather holster. For strictly OC it may work well, but I tend to wear concealment type holsters OC, I find that people do not notice the pistol/mag carries as readily, and they do carry the pistol with less movement.

The SERPA is a lower priced holster, and the carry, design and materials reflects this. No insult intended, and I’m not being critical of your choice of holster, if it works for you that is what’s important.

Just my 5 cents worth

Steve

I thought all the SERPA's had one or twoscrews that can be adjusted to best-fit your gun in the holster?

The Blade-Tech, Level 2,I use has two screws near the bottom and off to the side to adjust for fit (passive retention).

.45acp

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
I thought all the SERPA's had one or twoscrews that can be adjusted to best-fit your gun in the holster?

The Blade-Tech, Level 2,I use has two screws near the bottom and off to the side to adjust for fit (passive retention).

SpringerXDacp

You are correct the Serpa I have has 1 screw for passive retention adjustment. There are 3 screws for muzzle fore muzzle aft adjustment. The gun fits the holster and as from what I have seen, Serpa's are made gun specific.

Steve