• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Open Carry Federal Lawsuit

cato

imported post

Anyone have more on this?

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=409659

Michigan Open Carry Civil Rights Suit

The Law Offices of Steven W. Dulan, PLC announces federal civil rights suit against City of Grand Haven and Ottawa County over open-carry ordinance.

The suit, brought under Title 42, Section 1983 of the U.S. Code, was filed on behalf of Christopher Fetters, an off-duty Air Force Security Officer who was attending the Coast Guard Festival in Grand Haven last year. Mr. Fetters was openly carrying a holstered pistol, which is legal under Michigan law, as in most states. He was arrested and detained and charged with a violation of a Grand Haven city ordinance prohibiting open carry of firearms. His gun was initially seized, although it was later returned.

Michigan law prohibits local units of government from making any law with respect to firearms, (MCL 123.1102.) The public policy goal of the statute is to provide a uniform system of gun laws statewide so that citizens do not have to guess regarding what local rules might exist as they move from one locality to the next.

The complaint alleges, among other issues, violations of Mr. Fetters’ civil rights under the 2nd , 4th, and 14th, Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, and Article I, Section 6 of the Michigan Constitution, which reads, “Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state,” when he was physically restrained, disarmed, and subjected to verbal harassment and ridicule by law enforcement personnel.

Criminal charges were later dropped by the Grand Haven City Attorney’s Office, after being informed of the unenforceability of their ordinance. No allegations were ever made that Mr. Fetters ever threatened anyone, or in any other way disturbed the peace on the day of his arrest. He is demanding damages for violation of his civil rights as a citizen of the United States and of Michigan.

The case has been filed in the U.S. Court, Western District of Michigan in Grand Rapids and has been assigned Case Number 1:09-CV-00190.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

I'm sure when Preemption came into effect, local municipality were made aware of it. Second It is in my opinion that this is what LE gets when on average, they replace ignorance, with aggression. Would it be a violation of the 2nd A, 4th A. and 5th A. Since they took his handgun unlawfully as well as confiscated said pistol.

I can't find too much more info on this, But I have read it on several threads on OCDO and a few others off of Google.

MissRoadWarrior

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
I'm sure when Preemption came into effect, local municipality were made aware of it. Second It is in my opinion that this is what LE gets when on average, they replace ignorance, with aggression. Would it be a violation of the 2nd A, 4th A. and 5th A. Since they took his handgun unlawfully as well as confiscated said pistol.

I can't find too much more info on this, But I have read it on several threads on OCDO and a few others off of Google.
If you read the complaint filed by plaintiff's attorney in the Grand Haven case (separate thread), you'll find alleged violations of the 2nd, 4th, 5th and 14th Amendments.

Application of protections guaranteed under the Second and Fourth Amendments are rather obvious in that case. With respect to the right to due process, as I understand it (IANAL), such protections under the 5th Amendment apply only to actions taken by the federal government. Due process as it applies to the states is covered under the 14th Amendment -- which is why the attorney in the Grand Haven case included such alleged 14A violations in his plaintiff's complaint.

As for the Fifth Amendment protection violations that were alleged in the complaint, I suspect that might be a Miranda issue, but I'm only speculating. Again, IANAL.