• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone here familiar with Camp Lejeune firearm policies?

darthmord

imported post

My wife's Reserve Unit is going to Camp Lejeune in June. She's not wanting to leave home unarmed (yay!).

She called the base Provost (think that's who she said) and the lady that answered told her "I don't know the answer to your question but I'll find out and get back to you." My wife gave her appropriate contact information and asked to have the information as soon as possible.

So anyone here know / have experience in dealing with firearms and said Marine Base?

Thanks.

Paragon

imported post

I was stationed at Lejeune for a few years. If she's going to be staying in the barracks on base, then any personal firearms have to be checked into the unit armory. This means you can only check it in/out when they have someone in the armory. If she's in base housing (not the barracks, but the actual family houses, such as in Tarawa Terrace) she can have it, but it has to be registered with the MPs.

If she's staying off base, then NC laws apply, not base regulations.

Also, the only time you're allowed to have a gun in your car on base is if you are on your way to/from the armory or the range. When it's in the car, it has to be unloaded and locked up.

thnycav

imported post

To give you an idea this is the policy for Langley Air Force Base. Most military installations I have been on the policy isabout same.

Weapons Safety Unauthorized firearms are not allowed on Langley AFB. Personnel living in on-base quarters are required to register their weapons with their orderly rooms. Those individuals residing in dormitories must register their weapons at their orderly room and store them in the Security Forces armory, Bldg. 355. Personnel issued a concealed weapons permit by the state of Virginia are still not authorized to carry the weapon on Langley Air Force Base.

The only difference I can see from the Army is that you register with the Provost Marshall. If you live in the barracks you have to store them in the unit arms room. At Ft Eustis they even make the local LEO's register their weapons on post.

You should also check the unit SOP as far as brining privately owned weapons.

Hope this helps.

thnycav

imported post

Here is the policy from their website.

http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/mcb/settlingIn.asp

Firearm Registration
All privately owned firearms on base must be registered with the Base Provost Marshal, Room #2, Bldg. 3 and Bldg. AS211 at the Air Station. Only those persons living in base housing (family quarters) may maintain their firearms in their quarters. BEQ and BOQ residents must store their weapons in a unit armory. The brand name, model number, serial number, location of, caliber, barrel length, action and proof of ownership are required for registration. For more information call 451-2455.

Most installations have about the same policy.

darthmord

imported post

They got back with her this afternoon. This is what they told her...

Since her reserve unit doesn't have an armory, she cannot bring a firearm on base period.

Basically, we have spaces where people can but you aren't one of 'those' people so you get the short end of the stick.

We've not decided what to do based on the information she got this afternoon.

Paragon

imported post

Also, one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post: There is a gun shop on Western Blvd who's name escapes me at the moment that rents lockers for gun storage. I know a few Marines who kept pistols out there...as long as you never take it on base, they never need to know about it.

USMC91E6

imported post

I've been staioned at Camp Lejeune and has transported by firearmon base many times. Check out Camp Lejeune Base Order 5500.1F. i tried to post the link but I could not do it. I found it on a Google search.

According to the order, you can transport a firearm on base as long as it is unloaded,and locked in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk you can transport it in a Locked case or glove box.

No firearm will be loaded will be transported. All ammo will be seperated from the firearm.

I hope this info will help you.

blt38

imported post

One thing to add. I have been stationed at CLNC multiple times. Once she transports it on base she will need to register her weapon(s) with PMO. There is a form they have you fill out with all your information and your weapon(s) info. If she lives in a barracks, they will have to be stored in the armory. (Recommend she check in during normal duty hours). If she lives in family housing she can keep them at housing.

darthmord

imported post

She's only going to be there for two weeks. My wife is a drilling reservist (Navy). Her unit is drilling at Camp Lejeune later next month.

The short of it... since her unit does NOT maintain an armory at this base, she has no place to store it. Thus, she cannot have it on base per the documentation she was sent.

Oddly, they also stated she could NOT have it in her hotel either. Supposedly the hotel is on base property despite it being outside ofthe gate and several miles from base.

blt38

imported post

The fact that Lejeune has a "military hotel" off base is news to me. Only way I could see that is if they contracted a motel to serve as bachelor housing and have essentially turned it into a BEQ. Maybe a gun safe in the trunk would work for her.

Gilly

imported post

Does she have a CCW permit? If so, concealed is concealed. This is obviously a decision the two of you have to make, but I would not let the Corps force me to put myself in jeopardy. Good luck.

blt38

imported post

While I would like to agree with Gilly, there are some potential legal ramifications to carrying illegally aboard a MCB. If she gets stopped and they find a weapon in the vehicle and it is NOT registered on base, it is possilbe that she could be charged with violation of a lawful order (Art 92, UCMJ). There may be sea lawyers that tell you not to worry about it, but it would be prudent that you at least consider the ramification. Below is the link that addresses Art 92. Good luck

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punitivearticles/a/mcm92.htm

thnycav

imported post

The weapons charges on Ft Eustis and Ft Story they are not charged under art 92 but Art 134.

Note that Article 134 encompasses offenses that are not specifically listed in the Manual for Courts-Martial, That is to say, "all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty,". Article 134 is often considered to be a "catch-all" for various offenses that aren't necessarily covered by the other articles in the UCMJ. Article 134 offenses include disloyal statements, abusing public animal, adultery, bigamy, bribery and graft, drinking liquor with prisoner, fleeing scene of accident, fraternization, gambling with subordinate, et al. It’s colloquially referred to as the “Write your own law” or “Don’t be stupid” article, and reflect acts that are not specifically listed, but nevertheless committed, by military personnel that negatively impact the service, unit, etc.

blt38

imported post

I will not argue about what Eustis and Story do. Since CLNC is a USMC base and there is a Base Order that addresses weapons on base anyone who violates it would most likely at a MCB be charged with 92. 134, in the Marine Corps, is generally reserved for when they can find no other article to pin on you. In the Marine Corps, violation of a written order would most likely get you art. 92.

thnycav

imported post

Either article they use still would cause problems for them. I would not advise carrying on post. I have a concealed permit and I work at Ft Story with the PMO and I leave my weapon at home. I would be very safe to do so I would not likely to be caught but it is not legal for me to do so.

blt38

imported post

One minor difference between the two; maximum punishments

Article 92

Maximum punishment.
(1) Violation or failure to obey lawful general order or regulation. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 2 years.
(2) Violation of failure to obey other lawful order. Bad-conduct discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 6 months.

Article 134 for concealed carry

Maximum punishment. Bad-conduct discharge, [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 1 year. [/font]

brigguard5831

imported post

hi I am at Camp Lejune right now and have just recieved my ccp. I asked the gate guard how to go about carryn out in town w/o violating the cc on base and he told me to holster it out in town. He also explained that "all fire arms must be seprate from the ammo and locked up when in the vehicle" so not only do i have to "arm my self in public" where i can have the police called for "going armed to the terror of the people" but also brandishing a fire arm. When i asked what or where the base order on oc he didnt even know where to start and said that he needs to get clarification on it.

USMC91E6

imported post

brigguard5831 wrote:
hi I am at Camp Lejune right now and have just recieved my ccp. I asked the gate guard how to go about carryn out in town w/o violating the cc on base and he told me to holster it out in town. He also explained that "all fire arms must be seprate from the ammo and locked up when in the vehicle" so not only do i have to "arm my self in public" where i can have the police called for "going armed to the terror of the people" but also brandishing a fire arm. When i asked what or where the base order on oc he didnt even know where to start and said that he needs to get clarification on it.

I've been staioned at Camp Lejeune and has transported by firearmon base many times. Check out Camp Lejeune Base Order 5500.1F. i tried to post the link but I could not do it. I found it on a Google search.

According to the order, you can transport a firearm on base as long as it is unloaded,and locked in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk you can transport it in a Locked case or glove box.

No firearm loaded will be transported. All ammo will be seperated from the firearm.

This is on base only. Once off base NC laws apply.

I hope this info will help you.