Thread: Open vs. concealed carry in NoVa

Post imported post

Would like to get some help on something. I have been a CHP holder now for about 3 weeks and have not yet carried. I wanted to know about the law in an establishment that serves alcohol. As I understand the law, I cannot conceal carry but I can open carry is this correct? 2d question, I notice some conversation on threads about TGI Fridays not serving someone if they open carry. Is this prevalent at most TGIFs? I thought it had to be posted. I realize than can refuse to serve you, but just wanted to know more about this. Thanks

Post imported post

Yes, you must OC into an establishment that serves alcohol.
    I'm not familiar with TGI Friday's policy.

Post imported post

Thanks, a buddy of mine saw a guy OC in Chipoltle in OTA and asked me. I knew I couldnt CC in a place that serves ETOH, and havent OCd yet.

Post imported post

Chipotles serve alcohol.

You must OC anywhere that has a Restaurant license, this includes places like Wegmans (Yeah, good job VA Legislature, a grocery store is a restaurant?)

You can search the VA ABC database on the ABC website http://www.abc.state.va.us/licenseeS...=retaillicense

I OC in NoVA frequently and have yet to have an issue. Personally, I would stay away from drinking while I am out and carrying. While I don't see anything wrong with having a glass of wine while eating and carrying, I don't think it goes over well

Post imported post

Thanks again for the clarification. After 30 years in the military, I dont think I will be drinking while I carry

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

blt38 wrote:
    I have been a CCWP holder now for about 3 weeks
    If you are talking about a Virginia Permit.. it is a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit).

"Weapons" are for "offensive tactics" and are used "leaglly" by military and police.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

*knocks the Marine across the backside of his head*

You're not gonna start up that argum...erm, I mean, discussion again, are you?

Post imported post

sorry Tex, I guess I aint completely "civilianized" yet. Xin loy

Post imported post

I'd have to get to know ya before I start smackin' ya upside the head.

My last comment was actually intended for Ed. We have a lot of "discussions" around here about the terms we use for firearms, specifically the use of the term "weapon." It usually doesn't get us anywhere beyond dividing us into arguing groups.

Post imported post

I will probably quit referring to hand guns and long guns as weapons when they pry mine from my cold dead hands. 30+ years of "bad" habits

Post imported post

I understand completely. I used the term almost exclusively by the time I retired from the Navy. When I was training to become an NRA instructor, though, they beat it out of me (same for Ed), since it's NRA policy for instructors to never refer to firearms as "weapons."

Ed's just a little more into proselytizing than I am.

~ Boyd

P.S. Welcome aboard the OCDO forums, by the way!

Post imported post

blt38 wrote:
    I will probably quit referring to hand guns and long guns as weapons when they pry mine from my cold dead hands. 30+ years of "bad" habits
    or when (god forbid) someone breaks into you home and threatens you or your family and you tell the jury you drew your WEAPON instead of your "gun, handgun, pistol, revolver, glock, kimber,1911, sidearm, etc." and you convince ONE juror that you were on the "offensive" rather than defensive and have to do time.. they will pry your "WEAPON" from you hand then too.

:celebrate
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

good point, you are undoubtably a damn fine lawyer

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    My last comment was actually intended for Ed.
    I knew it was for me.. I just didn't feel the smack.. maybe because it came from a sailor?
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed Marine opponent, Ed.

And my apologies for the redundancy there.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    *knocks the Marine across the backside of his head*

You're not gonna start up that argum...erm, I mean, discussion again, are you?
    I think all the words Marines know how to "argue" with are censored on this site

Post imported post

or when (god forbid) someone breaks into you home and threatens you or your family and you tell the jury you drew your WEAPON instead of your "gun, handgun, pistol, revolver, glock, kimber,1911, sidearm, etc." and you convince ONE juror that you were on the "offensive" rather than defensive and have to do time.. they will pry your "WEAPON" from you hand then too.
    At which point I'll simply have my lawyer pull out the dictionary which describes a weapon as being either offensive or defensive.

Hopefully I won't have any NRA instructors on my jury.

Post imported post

ravonaf wrote:
    Hopefully I won't have any NRA instructors on my jury.
    If Ed and I are any indication, it's not the NRA instructors you need to worry about. It's the GFWs that will seize on any opportunity to be afraid of guns that will nail you to the cross for being a cowboy out looking for someone to kill with your weapon.

The NRA training policy is to help protect us from the folks who emote rather than think.

Post imported post

blt38 wrote:
    Would like to get some help on something. I have been a CCWP holder now for about 3 weeks and have not yet carried. I wanted to know about the law in an establishment that serves alcohol. As I understand the law, I cannot conceal carry but I can open carry is this correct? 2d question, I notice some conversation on threads about TGI Fridays not serving someone if they open carry. Is this prevalent at most TGIFs? I thought it had to be posted. I realize than can refuse to serve you, but just wanted to know more about this. Thanks
    You cannot conceal carry in any establishment that serves alcohol, but you can open carry. Any establishment that is private property may ask you to leave, they do not have to post a notice. TGI's is a good example, they do not post a notice, but it is corporate policy they will ask you to put it in the car or leave. This personally happened to me at TGIs, they will never get a dime of my business. Most places in NOVA seem to have no problem with OC.

Post imported post

thanks Jonsey

Post imported post

Jonesy wrote:
    it is corporate policy they will ask you to put it in the car or leave.
    same police at non-posted Great American Restaurants.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

never heard of Great American Restrauants. Guess they arent so "great American"

Post imported post

blt38 wrote:
    never heard of Great American Restrauants.
    Artie's

Carlyle Grand Cafe

Coastal Flats

Mike's American Grill

Sweetwater Tavern

Silverado

Best Buns

Jackson's

I had dinner at Jackson's (OC of course) with the CEO of GAR to talked to him about this. He invited me to dinner after I wrote him. He thought about if for about 6 months and decided against it.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -