• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open vs. concealed carry in NoVa

blt38

imported post

Would like to get some help on something. I have been a CHP holder now for about 3 weeks and have not yet carried. I wanted to know about the law in an establishment that serves alcohol. As I understand the law, I cannot conceal carry but I can open carry is this correct? 2d question, I notice some conversation on threads about TGI Fridays not serving someone if they open carry. Is this prevalent at most TGIFs? I thought it had to be posted. I realize than can refuse to serve you, but just wanted to know more about this. Thanks

blt38

imported post

Thanks, a buddy of mine saw a guy OC in Chipoltle in OTA and asked me. I knew I couldnt CC in a place that serves ETOH, and havent OCd yet.

hsmith

imported post

Chipotles serve alcohol.

You must OC anywhere that has a Restaurant license, this includes places like Wegmans (Yeah, good job VA Legislature, a grocery store is a restaurant?)

You can search the VA ABC database on the ABC website http://www.abc.state.va.us/licenseeSearch/jsp/controller.jsp?task=retaillicense

I OC in NoVA frequently and have yet to have an issue. Personally, I would stay away from drinking while I am out and carrying. While I don't see anything wrong with having a glass of wine while eating and carrying, I don't think it goes over well :)

TexasNative

imported post

*knocks the Marine across the backside of his head*

You're not gonna start up that argum...erm, I mean, discussion again, are you?

TexasNative

imported post

I'd have to get to know ya before I start smackin' ya upside the head. :)

My last comment was actually intended for Ed. We have a lot of "discussions" around here about the terms we use for firearms, specifically the use of the term "weapon." It usually doesn't get us anywhere beyond dividing us into arguing groups.

TexasNative

imported post

I understand completely. I used the term almost exclusively by the time I retired from the Navy. When I was training to become an NRA instructor, though, they beat it out of me (same for Ed), since it's NRA policy for instructors to never refer to firearms as "weapons."

Ed's just a little more into proselytizing than I am. :D

~ Boyd

P.S. Welcome aboard the OCDO forums, by the way!

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

blt38 wrote:
I will probably quit referring to hand guns and long guns as weapons when they pry mine from my cold dead hands. 30+ years of "bad" habits :cool:

or when (god forbid) someone breaks into you home and threatens you or your family and you tell the jury you drew your WEAPON instead of your "gun, handgun, pistol, revolver, glock, kimber,1911, sidearm, etc." and you convince ONE juror that you were on the "offensive" rather than defensive and have to do time.. they will pry your "WEAPON" from you hand then too.

:celebrate

TexasNative

imported post

I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed Marine opponent, Ed.

And my apologies for the redundancy there. :lol:

~ Boyd

hsmith

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
*knocks the Marine across the backside of his head*

You're not gonna start up that argum...erm, I mean, discussion again, are you?

I think all the words Marines know how to "argue" with are censored on this site

:lol:

ravonaf

imported post

or when (god forbid) someone breaks into you home and threatens you or your family and you tell the jury you drew your WEAPON instead of your "gun, handgun, pistol, revolver, glock, kimber,1911, sidearm, etc." and you convince ONE juror that you were on the "offensive" rather than defensive and have to do time.. they will pry your "WEAPON" from you hand then too.
At which point I'll simply have my lawyer pull out the dictionary which describes a weapon as being either offensive or defensive. :)

Hopefully I won't have any NRA instructors on my jury. :)

TexasNative

imported post

ravonaf wrote:
Hopefully I won't have any NRA instructors on my jury. :)
If Ed and I are any indication, it's not the NRA instructors you need to worry about. It's the GFWs that will seize on any opportunity to be afraid of guns that will nail you to the cross for being a cowboy out looking for someone to kill with your weapon.

The NRA training policy is to help protect us from the folks who emote rather than think.

Jonesy

imported post

blt38 wrote:
Would like to get some help on something. I have been a CCWP holder now for about 3 weeks and have not yet carried. I wanted to know about the law in an establishment that serves alcohol. As I understand the law, I cannot conceal carry but I can open carry is this correct? 2d question, I notice some conversation on threads about TGI Fridays not serving someone if they open carry. Is this prevalent at most TGIFs? I thought it had to be posted. I realize than can refuse to serve you, but just wanted to know more about this. Thanks
You cannot conceal carry in any establishment that serves alcohol, but you can open carry. Any establishment that is private property may ask you to leave, they do not have to post a notice. TGI's is a good example, they do not post a notice, but it is corporate policy they will ask you to put it in the car or leave. This personally happened to me at TGIs, they will never get a dime of my business. Most places in NOVA seem to have no problem with OC.