Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: What does the Washington Constitution say about gun ownership?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    48

    Post imported post

    http://www.leg.wa.gov/LawsAndAgencyR...nstitution.htm

    Does it say anything about firearm ownership? I searched the text for "firearm", "gun", "weapon" but found nothing.

    Does only the RCW protect firearm ownership?

    What is a text I could point to that explicitly says gun ownership is OK and requires no permit?

  2. #2
    Regular Member j2l3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    871

    Post imported post

    You won't find anything that says no permit required. That which is not prohibited by lawis legal...

    Article 1, Section 24 of the Washington State COnstitution specifically says:

    SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.
    The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

  3. #3
    Regular Member shad0wfax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,067

    Post imported post

    j2l3 wrote:
    You won't find anything that says no permit required. That which is not prohibited by lawis legal...

    Article 1, Section 24 of the Washington State COnstitution specifically says:



    SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.
    The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.
    Absolutely correct. Article 1 Section 24 of our state constititution is, in some ways, more strongly worded than the 2nd amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

    Not only do we have the right to own firears but we also have the right to carry and use firearms in defense of ourselves or the state. Furthermore, thoserights shall not be impaired.

    We don't have a state-granted right to have a private army. (It may not be illegal for us to have a private army, but Article 1 Section 24 doesn't grant that right.)

    I think if you carried our state constitution to the nth degree, the concealed weapon requirement and the state laws against firearms in bars could be considered unconstitutional by the WA constitution as both laws are impairments. (Good luck getting a modern-day A.G. to agree with that though.)

  4. #4
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    xiphoris wrote:

    What is a text I could point to that explicitly says gun ownership is OK and requires no permit?


    Show me exactly where it says you can wear blue jeans with sneakers.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  5. #5
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043

    Post imported post

    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    xiphoris wrote:

    What is a text I could point to that explicitly says gun ownership is OK and requires no permit?


    Show me exactly where it says you can wear blue jeans with sneakers.
    Ok, well now, THAT'S just common knowledge....except for white sneakers after labor day! That's just a pure no no.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •