• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Resident Mass Permit

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think very soon I will be a non-resident permit instructor for Massachusetts. Non-Res permits cost $100 a year and have to be renewed annually.

PITA...I know, but, I have to ask...

Would any of you be interested?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I might consider it. My company has an office in Massachusetts and if I could carry there (in the commonwealth) I might be tempted to visit. Do you know if the Massachusetts carry permit requires a registration, or listing of handguns to be carried? That might be the pivot point for my interest.

markand

imported post

I have customers in MA that I have to visit on occasion. It would be nice to carry, but, like you say, one royal PITA to have to pay and renew every year.

ElectricTurtle

imported post

I'm going to be up in MA about a week a year starting next year, so I would be very interested.

I live in WA right now, but it looks fairly certain that I'll be moving to VA (probably near Manassas) sometime in the next quarter.

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pourshot wrote:
I think very soon I will be a non-resident permit instructor for Massachusetts. Non-Res permits cost $100 a year and have to be renewed annually.

PITA...I know, but, I have to ask...

Would any of you be interested?

Massa WHO its??

Never heard of it...

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Born and raised there, but since I only return once every 3 years (or longer, if I can get away with it), I can't justify the cost.

But I need to light a fire under my relatives (oh, wait, the Hillary Democrats) to push for reciprocity.

jermflux

imported post

It does not take a special class to get a Non-res LTC for all lawful purposes in the state of MA. AS long as you have a permit in your own state with no restrictionsyou are good to go. Whatever class you took to get your VA permit will sufice.

les_aker

imported post

jermflux wrote:
It does not take a special class to get a Non-res LTC for all lawful purposes in the state of MA. AS long as you have a permit in your own state with no restrictionsyou are good to go. Whatever class you took to get your VA permit will sufice.

I don't think that is accurate. I got an application from them, and it says you need a class within the last 2 years that is taught by a MA approved instructor.

jermflux

imported post

Your probably right. I have a MA non-res permit in my hand and don't remember having to do that though. Also, there are some differences between what they require from residents as apposed to non-residents applying.

jermflux

imported post

Sorry, have to call it again. if your non-res expires you do not have to re take any classes. Just reaply when you can. If you wait years, that may be different.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jermflux wrote:
Sorry, have to call it again. if your non-res expires you do not have to re take any classes. Just reaply when you can. If you wait years, that may be different.
Your permit is good UP TO 60 DAYS *AFTER* it expires as long as you have submitted the paperwork for another one. If that 60 days has expires, then I am not sure.