• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Freaking out a little bit. Form 4473 GUn sale put on hold.

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

Hey Guys. I just purchased a Hi-Point 995 Carbine on gunbroker because I can't find one in a store in Northern Kentucky. I have been looking for months.

So I find one on gunbroker that is a reasonable price. I buy it. The card gets run, the sale is done.

It gets transferred over to RLC in Florence and they call me today to go pick it up.

I get over there, pay the transfer fee, check out the gun everything is good. I filled out the paperwork and he gets on the phone to put it all in and BAM.

They put the transfer on hold. He tells me that they don't give any reasons for putting something on hold. If they deny the transfer then I get the chance to appeal it and whatever.

I'm freaking out cause I can't imagine what would cause it to get put on hold.
My information is the same.

It is possible that the City of Birth part got messed up.
I know I was born at St. Lukes hospital but I always get confused if that hospital is in Ft. Mitchell or Ft. Thomas.
I wrote Ft. Mitchell on the form. Guy at the store said that St. Lukes is in Ft. Thomas.
Can that be holding it up?
He said the city doesn't really matter cause alot of people don't remember what city they were born in. Just the state part is important. So I know I got that part right lol.

I am worried that the thing got put on hold cause I have a warrant out for a felony. But holy hell, I haven't done anything wrong.
Can it work like that. Can the NICS or whatever it is called, can it have a record of me getting a warrant put out without me knowing I have a warrant out?

See why I am freaking out? I have a secured job, I can't keep my job if I have outstanding warrants or felonies or anything like that. And I really like my career. I have spent the last 12 years building up my credentials and my clearances and I can't lose that.
I don't even speed for crying out loud. The worst thing I can say is that I let my left rear turn signal be out for like 2 weeks a month ago cause I kept forgetting to stop and buy a new bulb. But I fixed that more than a week ago.

I know this isn't about Open Carry but I don't know where else to look for information. Googling just turns up horror stories about gun shops saying that the transaction was put on hold, and then the gun ends up getting sold out from under the person who already paid for it and so on so I am just getting really stressed out.
I already signed for everything and paid the transfer fee's and everything.

The ATF doesn't have a FAQ I could find that says anything about transactions being put on hold.

Heres the kicker. 2 weeks ago I purchased a Rossi .410/22 combo gun from Dicks Sporting goods (brown stock). 2 weeks before that I purchased a Rossi .410/22 combo gun from Wal-Mart (black stock).

I purchased these because I have 2 sons, they are both at the age where they want to learn to shoot, and they both have done really well with their firearm safety stuff from the boy scouts. I filled out the same form the same way twice in the last 5 weeks, so I am wondering why it's on hold now.

Ok. I'm still freaking out but I think I have typed too much.
I don't know what could pop up that would put my transaction on hold. Any information or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Relax....take a deep breath and relax. I've had holds before. IF you've done nothing you will probably be just fine.

I'm against using my SS but do so when I purchase a weapon.

I was even denied my CDWL at firstbecause of someone else.

RELAX!:dude:

chris in va

imported post

Yup, a common occurance during these times. Don't fret, just give it a few days. Heck I watched as a guy got delayed when purchasing my new Kahr last month. No reason why either.

BTW if your sale gets severely postponed, I may entertain selling my 9mm carbine as I'm looking to get a 22 Henry here soon.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let's see....

3 guns in 4 weeks, You got the makings of a Right Wing Extremist suspected terrorist.

Maybe Holder thinks that HR 2159 has already been passed and signed into law. :banghead:

Butterbone

imported post

Well I did give my SS.
I have no reason not to.
I just didn't expect anything more than "come and get it" to happen so I don't handle surprises well.

I take decisions slowly. I will wait for weeks and months before making big purchases and changing aspects of my life.

I asked about buying several guns in a short amount of time and he said that it's only an issue if you try to buy multiple guns from the same dealer in the same week.

I appreciate the advice. I guess I'll just try to put it out of my head until they call me back.

Thanks.

old dog

imported post

Don't overlook the possibility that this is merely random, shabby harassment.

KY-RN-G

imported post

Another reason to have a CCDW even if you mainly open carry. Show your CCDW to you FFL they record that number and you are on your way.

KBCraig

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
If it isn't released in three working days, the dealer is authorized to release it to you with out any farther ado.:cool:
On the ATF calendar, the first day doesn't count, and neither do weekends or holidays, so if you're "delayed" the Thursday before Memorial Day, you can't proceed until the next Thursday.

Butterbone

imported post

It went through the next day around noon.

No reason why it was delayed, they just got a call saying it was fine, and I picked it up thursday night.

Took it to shooters on Friday, and man what a fun little rifle. I definately need to get a new stock though. The factory stock has rather sharp holes in it where I rested my cheek and each shot put a little scrape on me like razor burn.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

VincentC

Hp 955

When I bought my 955 it got put on hold too. Upon research, someone considers this an 'assault weapon'. It took two hours and the shop called back that it cleared. Purchased a 9x19 pistol the other day, it got put on hold too. I am 48, zero criminal record, have numerous weapons. I guess if you buy too many someone watches you.
:rolleyes:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I know how you feel. Target tried to scan in my Driver's License to buy a regular small bottle of cough syrup. I'm like 'wut?'

The chick at the register says 'we can type it in but if I do I'll get in trouble'. Me: 'Trouble? With whom?'

Chick at register: "It's not for the alcohol..."

Me: 'how will You be in trouble, you just said you can type it in?'

Chick: 'I'll have to call my Supervisor'

It was like I wasn't even there and she was talking to an imaginary person. NO question of mine was answered at any time. Finally I said 'just put it back on the shelf, I don't want it/don't want to get you in trouble'.

Chick: "It's no trouble, Sir".

Me: (Facepalm ready).

Chick: "OK let me see your Dr's License"

Me: No

Chick: "OK, I know you're over 18..."

Me: Starting to try and walk out of store...

So I figure it was some dumb clerk somewhere down the line. Glad to hear you didn't need to tell anyone your life story...oh, wait. :p

Midwest

That pawn shop that faces the RLC parking lot, used to occasionally sell Hi-Points. I was in there a couple of weeks back and saw ordinary revolvers in the $400+ price range. Nothing in my price range...

I also had a delay once, when I bought a .22 rifle at K-Kmart. I came back after three days and picked it up with no problems.

Last edited:

neuroblades

This same exact thing happened to a friend of mine recently. He was looking into the appeals stage when he was told that it would take over a year to get it heard! *LOL* I advised him to go to a different gun store and attempt to make the purchase there. BOOM! It worked there! Apparently the BATFE has been doing the "hold" song and dance with ALOT of folks as of late, I wonder what they're up to?