Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time OC'er (Scared to because of LEO's)

Post imported post

Hello to everyone,

I've been reading the forums on here for about 3 months now and finally decided to become a member after i bought my first gun 2 fridays ago, (9mm Smith & Wesson). I've learned alot of information...i mean alot of information that i didnt know i could do which is OC. A friend of mines put me on this website. Quick story, last summer we all went tubing and he brought his glock out on the boat. I was like thats cool because he had it in his backpack. I mean i knew about the concealed thing so it wasnt a big problem. Then he went on about OC'ing and i was like hell no, you cant do that!!! Busted my bubble when he said thathe could. He gave me the pamplet with all of the rules about OC'ing and he gave me a concealed permit app. that i was sitting on for about 7 months. I finally got up off my butt and bought me a gun, went to the courthouse in Va Beach and applied for my CCP like 2 weeks ago. So for now im just waiting on the permit to be mailed to me. Just by reading the forums on here for a few months, its given me enough strength to OC a few times just to my friends house and back to my house. Im a Va Beach resident, so its not bad out here as far as the LEO's. Last fridayi went to Marshals in the shopping center by the Lynnhaven mall and i OC with my step son. Everything was cool, i went in to exchange a hat that was to small.I went in and looked around, i even seenthis one girl :what:the piece.It was a crazy feeling, everything was pretty cool.That gave me confidence to OC again.

Today i went to my friends house that stays in Norfolk, behind the Military Circle Mall and i had my min pin (very ferocious might i add )with me in my car. I was parked with the windows down and he so happened to get frisky and jump out the window.I called him over which he refusedand i get out the car and picked him up. Not looking up until i picked him up and when i did, i see the NPD drive past. I was like OMG i know they are going to stop to say something to me. Being a black, young (24)male i was destined to get harassed, yet they kept driving. I was so happy to not get stopped. By reading danbus's posts, i dont want to get harassed or stopped for anything legal. I am in the Navy and getting illegally arrested from a uneducated LEOisnt what i want to do. I just OC every now and then.....when i get my CCP, i will carrymore. I was robbed by gun point a few years ago and i refuse to get robbed again. The only reason why its been so long for me to get a firearm was because of i was still staying on the boat and plus i was stationed overseas which is prohibited for me to take over there. Now, i can defend myself and not worry about calling the LEO's to help me when the situation arises. I will be on here alot guys and putting my 2 cents in on the forums now instead of just ghost reading. Thanks guys......

Post imported post

n2deepjds, welcome to the forum!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

n2deepjds wrote:
    I am in the Navy
    I was in a department of the Navy... the MEN's department.. Ohh Rahh!! USMC.

Thank you for your service to our country and welcome to OCDO.

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    n2deepjds wrote:
    I am in the Navy

Ed
    Thanks

Post imported post

n2deepjds, welcome to the forum!

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum!!! My biggest piece of advice to you is learn as much as you can about the laws of Virginia pertaining to carry open and concealed, and even more important, learn the laws re self defense. You don't want to end up in prison because you didn't understand the law and you thought an act was allowable as self defense.

Post imported post

Welcome aboard, sir, and thank you for your service to our country !

If you've been lurking and reading for a while, I risk sounding like a broken record ( or is it broken CD now), but you ought to show up at one of the local dinners. Heck, if you're lucky, you might even see Danbus there. (I think these days, he's selling 8x10 glossies, suitable for framing.) In any event, you'd probably have a good time, and you'd sure as hell be able to trade stories with some of our ex-Navy guys, even a bubble-head or two !

Let us know! Its great to live in America, and especially great to live in Virginia !

Post imported post

That sounds good. i will come to one soon and enjoy the company of other OC'ers. That way i will feel at home instead of being a lone ranger. I read up on some of the laws as much as i can and lately ive been on this website for like 4 hours out of the day, maybe moresince im on vacation.

Post imported post

There is a good discussion here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/25537.htmlon self defense, and in particular on how there is no duty to retreat when not at fault in Virginia. If you check out the cases I cite to in these posts, you will see an excellent synopsis of some self defense law in Virginia. I have been studying up and now realize there are pitfuls for the uneducated. Good luck with your carry and stay safe.

Post imported post

Thanks for your service to our great country! I too am a Ret. vet Thanks again and Welcome Home:celebrate

Post imported post

You might like the NRA "Refuse to be a Victim" course. *
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

The "Navy Colt" wielded by Tuco in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" comes to mind.

Sometimes, open-carry just makes sense.

Post imported post

thanks, im about to check out that link

Post imported post

SEABEE-94 wrote:
    Thanks for your service to our great country! I too am a Ret. vet Thanks again and Welcome Home:celebrate
    No problem, just doing what i can do for our country.

Post imported post

Jonesy wrote:
    There is a good discussion here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/25537.htmlon self defense, and in particular on how there is no duty to retreat when not at fault in Virginia. If you check out the cases I cite to in these posts, you will see an excellent synopsis of some self defense law in Virginia. I have been studying up and now realize there are pitfuls for the uneducated. Good luck with your carry and stay safe.

thanks for the link, im about to check it out. i just got my CHP in the mail today, has to be one of the happiest days!! :celebrate

Post imported post

You got mail on Sunday?

I want your mailman over here!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    n2deepjds wrote:
    I am in the Navy

Ed
    lol

a paratrooper, myself. but i just love the rivalries between the various branches, etc.

Post imported post

Thanks to all who have served; past and present, fallen and still standing.

Why don't they sell M&M's at the Marine Exchange?

They're too hard to peel!

"If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

n2deepjds wrote:
    Today i went to my friends house that stays in Norfolk, behind the Military Circle Mall and i had my min pin (very ferocious might i add )with me in my car. I was parked with the windows down and he so happened to get frisky and jump out the window.I called him over which he refusedand i get out the car and picked him up. Not looking up until i picked him up and when i did, i see the NPD drive past. I was like OMG i know they are going to stop to say something to me. Being a black, young (24)male i was destined to get harassed, yet they kept driving. I was so happy to not get stopped. By reading danbus's posts, i dont want to get harassed or stopped for anything legal. I am in the Navy and getting illegally arrested from a uneducated LEOisnt what i want to do. I just OC every now and then.....when i get my CCP, i will carrymore.
    If I was a young black male, there's no way I would open carry in this country. Cops shoot young black males all the time...and nobody cares.
    By open carrying, you're putting your life in danger.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
    I saw that scene. Looked like a clean shoot to me. Definitely had his bubble centered. Ended up being a wash for that other guy, though.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

mpolo79 wrote:
    If I was a young black male, there's no way I would open carry in this country. Cops shoot young black males all the time... and nobody cares.
    By open carrying, you're putting your life in danger.
    You're either a fool or a coward.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Let me merely be the first in what may be a long line of folks who say that accusation is unwarranted, and something I'd personally rather not see here (although I certainly have no authority).

And there are many reasons beyond being a fool or a coward for not wanting to open carry.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

None that apply here.

Read what he wrote. I challenge you to find another reason.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

It's not up to me to determine someone else's rationale for their opinion. I'm merely stating that I think it's out of line to insult someone, even if you don't believe they have a reasonable justification for their opinion.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

Think of me what you will. I stand by my convictions.

Dan Moore might disagree with you as well, and he's BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast