• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time OC'er (Scared to because of LEO's)

n2deepjds

imported post

Hello to everyone,

I've been reading the forums on here for about 3 months now and finally decided to become a member after i bought my first gun 2 fridays ago, (9mm Smith & Wesson). I've learned alot of information...i mean alot of information that i didnt know i could do which is OC. A friend of mines put me on this website. Quick story, last summer we all went tubing and he brought his glock out on the boat. I was like thats cool because he had it in his backpack. I mean i knew about the concealed thing so it wasnt a big problem. Then he went on about OC'ing and i was like hell no, you cant do that!!! Busted my bubble when he said thathe could. He gave me the pamplet with all of the rules about OC'ing and he gave me a concealed permit app. that i was sitting on for about 7 months. I finally got up off my butt and bought me a gun, went to the courthouse in Va Beach and applied for my CCP like 2 weeks ago. So for now im just waiting on the permit to be mailed to me. Just by reading the forums on here for a few months, its given me enough strength to OC a few times just to my friends house and back to my house. Im a Va Beach resident, so its not bad out here as far as the LEO's. Last fridayi went to Marshals in the shopping center by the Lynnhaven mall and i OC with my step son. Everything was cool, i went in to exchange a hat that was to small.I went in and looked around, i even seenthis one girl :what:the piece.It was a crazy feeling, everything was pretty cool.That gave me confidence to OC again.

Today i went to my friends house that stays in Norfolk, behind the Military Circle Mall and i had my min pin (very ferocious might i add :dude:)with me in my car. I was parked with the windows down and he so happened to get frisky and jump out the window.I called him over which he refusedand i get out the car and picked him up. Not looking up until i picked him up and when i did, i see the NPD drive past. I was like OMG i know they are going to stop to say something to me. Being a black, young (24)male i was destined to get harassed, yet they kept driving. I was so happy to not get stopped. By reading danbus's posts, i dont want to get harassed or stopped for anything legal. I am in the Navy and getting illegally arrested from a uneducated LEOisnt what i want to do. I just OC every now and then.....when i get my CCP, i will carrymore. I was robbed by gun point a few years ago and i refuse to get robbed again. The only reason why its been so long for me to get a firearm was because of i was still staying on the boat and plus i was stationed overseas which is prohibited for me to take over there. Now, i can defend myself and not worry about calling the LEO's to help me when the situation arises. I will be on here alot guys and putting my 2 cents in on the forums now instead of just ghost reading. Thanks guys......

Jonesy

imported post

Welcome to the forum!!! My biggest piece of advice to you is learn as much as you can about the laws of Virginia pertaining to carry open and concealed, and even more important, learn the laws re self defense. You don't want to end up in prison because you didn't understand the law and you thought an act was allowable as self defense.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome aboard, sir, and thank you for your service to our country !

If you've been lurking and reading for a while, I risk sounding like a broken record ( or is it broken CD now), but you ought to show up at one of the local dinners. Heck, if you're lucky, you might even see Danbus there. (I think these days, he's selling 8x10 glossies, suitable for framing.) :lol: In any event, you'd probably have a good time, and you'd sure as hell be able to trade stories with some of our ex-Navy guys, even a bubble-head or two !

Let us know! Its great to live in America, and especially great to live in Virginia !:monkey

n2deepjds

imported post

That sounds good. i will come to one soon and enjoy the company of other OC'ers. That way i will feel at home instead of being a lone ranger. I read up on some of the laws as much as i can and lately ive been on this website for like 4 hours out of the day, maybe moresince im on vacation.

Jonesy

imported post

There is a good discussion here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/25537.htmlon self defense, and in particular on how there is no duty to retreat when not at fault in Virginia. If you check out the cases I cite to in these posts, you will see an excellent synopsis of some self defense law in Virginia. I have been studying up and now realize there are pitfuls for the uneducated. Good luck with your carry and stay safe.

W.E.G.

imported post

The "Navy Colt" wielded by Tuco in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" comes to mind.

Sometimes, open-carry just makes sense. :dude:

Tuco_25.jpg

n2deepjds

imported post

Jonesy wrote:
There is a good discussion here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/25537.htmlon self defense, and in particular on how there is no duty to retreat when not at fault in Virginia. If you check out the cases I cite to in these posts, you will see an excellent synopsis of some self defense law in Virginia. I have been studying up and now realize there are pitfuls for the uneducated. Good luck with your carry and stay safe.
thanks for the link, im about to check it out. i just got my CHP in the mail today, has to be one of the happiest days!! :celebrate

hawgasm

imported post

ed wrote:
n2deepjds wrote:
I am in the Navy
I was in a department of the Navy... the MEN's department.. Ohh Rahh!! USMC.

Thank you for your service to our country and welcome to OCDO.

Ed
lol

a paratrooper, myself. but i just love the rivalries between the various branches, etc.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Thanks to all who have served; past and present, fallen and still standing.

Why don't they sell M&M's at the Marine Exchange?

They're too hard to peel!

:banghead:

mpolo79

imported post

n2deepjds wrote:
Today i went to my friends house that stays in Norfolk, behind the Military Circle Mall and i had my min pin (very ferocious might i add :dude: )with me in my car. I was parked with the windows down and he so happened to get frisky and jump out the window.I called him over which he refusedand i get out the car and picked him up. Not looking up until i picked him up and when i did, i see the NPD drive past. I was like OMG i know they are going to stop to say something to me. Being a black, young (24)male i was destined to get harassed, yet they kept driving. I was so happy to not get stopped. By reading danbus's posts, i dont want to get harassed or stopped for anything legal. I am in the Navy and getting illegally arrested from a uneducated LEOisnt what i want to do. I just OC every now and then.....when i get my CCP, i will carrymore.
If I was a young black male, there's no way I would open carry in this country. Cops shoot young black males all the time...and nobody cares.
By open carrying, you're putting your life in danger.