• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open invitation to anti-gun event in Norfolk

paramedic70002

imported post

Please join us on May 29th
at the 40th Street Stage in Norfolk for the World Premiere of Hearts Full of Tears A play by Bill Jenkins

This is a true story: On August 12, 1997, 16 year old William Jenkins was shot to death by a robber using an illegally obtained handgun. It was Will's second day at the his first 'real' job at a local fast food restaurant. It happened in Richmond, Virginia where Will's dad, Bill Jenkins, was a theatre professor and scenic designer. In the aftermath of this senseless and sudden tragedy, Bill Jenkins struggled to cope with his family's devastating loss. Looking for answers, he soon came to realize that little existed to help families deal with "what happens after the police leave'. Bill went on to write a comprehensive, much needed guide to dealing with the trauma of sudden loss. What to Do When the Police Leave is now in its third printing, and has become an important and celebrated book. From the Foreword, by Patricia Cornwell: "Important and crafted of compassion and love at great sacrifice. Mr. Jenkins' book is a magnificent gift. It is for all of us."

But Bill Jenkins is an artist - a theatre artist. In 2003, he began a playscript that would allow him to work through his ongoing grief and new-found insight, as he continues to work with grieving families around the country. The first draft of his play, Hearts Full of Tears, had a staged reading in the fall of 2003.

The script, which has never been fully produced, was brought to the attention of 40th Street Stage by friends of Bill's at The Virginia Center for Public Safety, a group which advocates an end to handgun violence. Looking to promote their message through an artistic medium, they contacted 40th Street Stage last year and suggested a partnership - if a suitable project could be found. A former co-worker knew of Bill's script and contacted him in Chicago, where he now resides and teaches at Dominican University.

Hearts Full of Tears is the story of a couple whose son, Davy, is murdered. Jo and George struggle to deal with their feelings of loss; with a future now so suddenly altered; with their friends inability to articulate their own sadness. "This play has moments of heartbreaking truth and honesty - moments and sentiments that are as profound and real as any thing I have ever worked on in the theatre" says director Frankie Little Hardin. "Bill has already made one trip down from Chicago to work with the cast and I to clarify and strengthen the script. His courage, in being willing to work on this piece and craft it into a beautiful piece of theatre, is just profoundly humbling for all of us." The cast includes Beth Pivirotto (The Greater Love), Nick Ventura (West Side Story), Bill Armstrong, Dave Olson, Carol Wright, Eileen P. Quinton, and Chris Manitius.

What:
The World Premiere of
Hearts Full of Tears A play by Bill Jenkins
Where:
40th Street Stage,
809 W. 40th Street
Norfolk, VA
When:
May 29 - June 20 Fridays and Saturdays at 8 pm;
Sundays at 2 pm
Tix: All tix are $10.00 Call: 757-423-4084 Web: www.40thstreetstage.com
View Larger Map

About Bill Jenkins

William Jenkins was on his second day of work at a fast-food restaurant when the Richmond, Va., establishment was robbed at closing time. While cooperating fully with the robber, William, 16, was shot and died instantly. His father, Bill Jenkins, quickly found that there were virtually no readily available resources to answer his questions as a survivor of a traumatic loss.

Bill found some help scattered in bookstores, on the Internet, and in support groups and agencies. But there was no single, practical and useful resource written by victims for victims containing the advice and guidance that he and his family needed following their loss.

Using the information he had collected, he wrote What to do When the Police Leave: A Guide to the First Days of Traumatic Loss, which has quickly become an important resource for families dealing with the sudden or traumatic death of a loved one.

Bill gives workshops on various victims’ issues for the National Organization for Victim Assistance; the Compassionate Friends; Fight Crime: Invest in Kids; and Parents of Murdered Children. He serves on the Cook County Juvenile Probation Department’s Victim Advisory board and is also an instructor with the Virginia Institute of Forensic Science and Medicine training officials who work with victims of crime. His goal is to help reduce crime by providing hope and resources at the critical stages of life for those who so desperately need them.

In contrast, the death penalty "brings neither peace nor healing to the injured parties and the resulting upheaval and re-victimization at all levels of its implementation has far graver consequences than are ever brought to light," he says.

Bill believes that as a society we are at a point “where a decision must be made. Do we perpetuate a system of punishment that is of questionable social value and can never be perfected, or do we remove its traumatizing impact from our criminal justice system altogether? The answer will in large measure define who we are as a people.” He has joined MVFHR because its dual focus on victims and human rights is “uniquely suited to answering this question.”

A professional artist and educator at the college level for more than 15 years, Bill teaches and designs for the theatre program at Dominican University near Chicago.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Interesting. Wonder if we could put on an impromptu demonstration afterward of "what to do before the police get there, to prevent a tragedy"

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Demonstration? That word leaves the feeling of confrontation. We should be there to EDUCATE, not CONFRONT.

We all have our reasons for OC and CC. Most people that carry do so to "exercise their rights". That is wonderful. We need more of us. Some of us have spent most ofour lives serving others. If forced tochoose between the two, I find myself in the second group. I spent 22 of my 44 years on the planet helping others. While in the Coast Guard, I taught marksmanship from beginners to advanced combat techniques; small arms (.50 cal and below) to major-caliber deck guns.

Before I gotmore serious about the Law Enforcement side of the house, I spent a lot of timedoing Search & Rescue. I was a qualified paramedicand taught 1st Aid to Scouts and other Coasties. I taught CPR in the community and to my fellow Coasties. Later, Itaught CPR instructorshow to teach CPR. Before I began my marksmanship teaching career. I was put in the position to save lives several times and did whatI had to do, without thought or hesitation, in spite of the danger to myself. Sadly, I've also taken life. It isn't something to be proud of. Nightmares. Doubts. Frustration.Wondering if you could have done something different to change the outcome. Not things you want to think about for the rest of your life. No onelikes to discuss these things, but it is definitely something you need to think about every time you touch afirearm.

Carrying a firearm and being well-trained in it's use is just like being a paramedic equipped with the proper equipment.

When we made the decision to carry a firearm, we accepted the responsibility to our families, communities and to ourselves to do the right thing if a situation that requires it's use were to come up. It is an awesome responsibility, something none of us should take lightly.

Rather than confront people that don't understandour mindset, we should educate them and conveythe strong feeling of Duty we all share. With time and the right words, we should be able to convey the message that we are there for their protection, not to make them fearful or make outselves look like vigilantes. We all know someone that probably shouldn't be carrying a weapon because of immaturity or a "cowboy" mindset. We also know people that shouldn't be on the road, either. We need to share with those misguided souls, too. They may be equally difficult to reach, possibly more difficult because they don't see themselves in the mirror.

We should take every opportunity to educate the public and LE whileavoiding confrontation if possible (without giving upour Rights).

I think I've ranted enough. I hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers...

riverrat10k

imported post

I think demonstration is the wrong word, but I see no reason not to attend while OC'ing.

Wouldn't the producers/writer feel good that their production was possibly "reaching out" to help educate us?

'Course I'm near Richmond and avoid the traffic east of Williamsburg like the plague, so I won't be attending. But I wish someone would just for research purposes, to deterimine if the play is "anti-gun" or "anti-bad guy."

nonya

imported post

well ... duhhhh

are you able to promote a way to STOP illegal possession ....

nova

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
nonya wrote:
well ... duhhhh

Enforce the laws we have? :question:

Are you able to promote a different way?
I have one!!!

If a person is not behind bars through due process, then they should be fine to own a gun. The constitution does not describe "half citizens" that have "some rights" but "denied others".

And stop prohibiting the good people from being able to defend themselves if/when there is an attacker. Problem solved.

Neplusultra

imported post

nova wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
nonya wrote:
well ... duhhhh

Enforce the laws we have? :question:

Are you able to promote a different way?
I have one!!!

If a person is not behind bars through due process, then they should be fine to own a gun. The constitution does not describe "half citizens" that have "some rights" but "denied others".

And stop prohibiting the good people from being able to defend themselves if/when there is an attacker. Problem solved.
I might modify that idea a little and say if they haven't been convicted of violent use of a weapon or attempted murder by any means then they are fine to own a gun. Drug possession or such does not justify taking away rights they did not abuse!

IanB

imported post

I think you guys are missing something here. Unless 40th St Stage is gov owned you have NO CHANCE of OC'ing on the property. You also have NO CHANCE of sticking around once you express your pro-rights views. You WILL be removed, and if you choose to remain have fun with your tresspassing charge. There will be officers there, bet on it.

The anti's have gotten the message that they can no longer hold stage anti-rights functions in public places w/o countering points of view present. Nowadays they ONLY do this stuff where they can identify and remove opposing viewspoints (private property), as they don't like sunshine anywhere near their gloom and doom parades. The closest you're gonna get is the sidewalk out front.

riverrat10k

imported post

That would be fine NSL. As I said , a demonstration would be antagonistic, and in my opinion, counterproductive.

But I do wish someone would try to get in.And argue briefly before leaving that "I thought you were trying to spread your message?"