• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scheel's

Lord Vader

imported post

I emailed the manager of Scheel's the other day and received a reply today. He was very nice and told me that both he and Scheel's are Second Amendment supporters. He also told me that Scheel's is unable to allow people to OC because of the landlord. Scheel's does not actually own the building they're in, so they are regulated by the rules of their landlord. The manager also said he spoke with the landlord again regarding this issue after receiving my letter.

I think we should talk with the landlords of the store Scheel's is in, and ask them to reconsider their rules on OC. I believe the landlords are actually still the developers, which would be RED Development.

This is not really Scheel's fault, and I think we should once again patronize them. They may not be the little, locally owned gun store, but we need big and small supporters. We should be trying to get businesses of all kinds on our side.

wayneco

imported post

I'm sorry but I'm just not buying this "landlord" thing at all, especially since this is now the first time we're hearing about it, months and months later... unless we're talking about the entire Sparks Marina project.

Someone ought OC at the rest of the Marina (i.e. not at Scheels) and see what happens.

Lord Vader

imported post

I'll give Scheel's the benefit of the doubt.

The Legends project is owned by RED Development and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't allow firearms at all on their land, and all of their tenets probably have to agree to their rules when they agreed to rent. Of course, all they can do is ask you to leave and then get you for trespassing if you refuse (If I understand the law correctly).

I plan on emailing them to check and make sure. If it turns out to be false, then the problem goes back to Scheel's, otherwise our problem is with RED Development. If enough of us talk to RED Development about this (assuming they are the problem), then perhaps they will change their policy. If they did, it would effect not only Sparks, but all 19 million acres that RED Development owns.

Loneviking

imported post

I don't know what to make of this recurring story. I know for a fact that Kelly Mains of Armed and Safe has her CCW classes there at Scheels and she does bring in weapons for demonstration. I've CC'ed there many times and I've never seen any signs there or anywhere else on the property (most of which is being built or is bare land) prohibiting firearms. It's pretty strange to have a store that stocks as many firearms as Scheels in a development that prohibits any sort of carry.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Even if it is the landlord that prohibits OC, I still don't plan to go there until it is allowed. If they want to see any of my business, they better convince the landlord to remove the ban.

It might be worthwhile to ask the landlord directly, but I doubt it will actually lead to any changes.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

wayneco wrote:
Someone ought OC at the rest of the Marina (i.e. not at Scheels) and see what happens.

I was thinking of doing that. Isn't the Marina owned by the city of sparks and considered to be a park? If so, the city of Sparks has a municipal code prohibiting carry in the park without a concealed carry permit. State preemption should make it null, but it still makes me nervous that it could lead to a conviction and 6 months in jail, given the lack of recognition of preemption by the AG.

http://www.ci.sparks.nv.us/governing/muni_code/Title_12/24/070.php
Section 12.24.070 Firearms prohibited; Exceptions

A. Except as provided in subsection C, it is unlawful for any person to carry or wear a firearm in a city park.

B. A "firearm" means any weapon with a caliber of .177 inches or greater from which a projectile may be propelled by means of explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

C. Nothing in this section prohibits the carrying or wearing of a firearm by a peace officer or the carrying of a firearm pursuant to the terms of a valid concealed weapons permit.

(Ord. 1383 § 1 (part), 1983.)

http://www.ci.sparks.nv.us/governing/muni_code/Title_1/12/010.php
Section 1.12.010 Violation--Penalty.

Unless specifically provided, any person violating any provisions or failing to comply with any of the mandatory requirements of the provisions of this code is guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person convicted of a misdemeanor under the provisions of this code shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment not to exceed six months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
Each such person is guilty of a separate offense for each and every day during any portion of which any violation of the provisions of this code is committed, continued or permitted by any such person, and he shall be punished accordingly.
(Ord. 1338 § 1, 1981: Ord. 926 § 1, 1973: 1962 Code § 115.010.)

Lord Vader

imported post

The whole Marina is not owned by RED Development. So even if you can OC at the Marina, that wont prove whether or not you can OC on property owned by RED Development.

There is also a difference between selling firearms and allowing people to carry them loaded on your property. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against gun control, but I don't think saying that just because the developer allows Scheel's to sell guns, means that they would also allow people to carry their loaded guns.

I'm just repeating what I was told by the manager of Scheel's. I don't know why his story is changing, but I think at the least we should verify with the developer who owns the project. Perhaps Scheel's did originally have a no OC policy, but because of our actions they changed that, but now they need to get through the developers. Even if we can't get them (who ever 'them' is :?) to change, we at least need to try.

wayneco

imported post

Let me also say I will be the first to go to bat for Scheels if and when they end discrimination against lawful carry. I will spread that message far and wide that they have harmonized their policies to the legal and cultural norm of open carry in Nevada. I'm not out to get them, I have no axe to grind, I simply don't want to be told I can't drink from that water fountain or that the store is for "concealed carry only" or that I must ride in the back of the bus, figuratively speaking, which is exactly the bigotry they are imputing on those who open carry.

Until then, it's totally their choice to be bigots, and totally my choice to tell my buddies about it so they can decide if that's something they are interested in supporting with their often limited discretionary outdoor products spending dollars.

wayneco

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
wayneco wrote:

I was thinking of doing that. Isn't the Marina owned by the city of sparks and considered to be a park? If so, the city of Sparks has a municipal code prohibiting carry in the park without a concealed carry permit. State preemption should make it null, but it still makes me nervous that it could lead to a conviction and 6 months in jail, given the lack of recognition of preemption by the AG.

A. Except as provided in subsection C, it is unlawful for any person to carry or wear a firearm in a city park.

B. A "firearm" means any weapon with a caliber of .177 inches or greater from which a projectile may be propelled by means of explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

C. Nothing in this section prohibits the carrying or wearing of a firearm by a peace officer or the carrying of a firearm pursuant to the terms of a valid concealed weapons permit.

http://www.ci.sparks.nv.us/governing/muni_code/Title_1/12/010.php
Section 1.12.010 Violation--Penalty.

Unless specifically provided, any person violating any provisions or failing to comply with any of the mandatory requirements of the provisions of this code is guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person convicted of a misdemeanor under the provisions of this code shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment not to exceed six months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
Each such person is guilty of a separate offense for each and every day during any portion of which any violation of the provisions of this code is committed, continued or permitted by any such person, and he shall be punished accordingly.
(Ord. 1338 § 1, 1981: Ord. 926 § 1, 1973: 1962 Code § 115.010.)

It would be illuminating to know if this were a city park but the law was seemingly clearly pre-empted regardless. Also, I doubt the mall is part of the park even if there were a park there, somewhere.

Frankly, with all the pro-2A outdoors stores in the area (Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, all the independent gun and outdoor store businesses) I don't see enough value in researching, hoop jumping, begging for permission, worrying about preemption effectiveness or not, or any of that nonsense to bother. Scheels has drawn the line in the sand and since early January when I learned of the policy I've spent $5k-$10k on handguns elsewhere.

Censorship and bigotry are pretty easy to route around when there is so much local consumer choice to be had and it's in my opinion a worthy cause to let my gun buying buddies know that they should be on the bottom of anyone's list for gun and gun related products purchases.

I still buy my wool socks there, though, it's just the gun dept I'm boycotting. :)

Lord Vader

imported post

I agree. I wont be buying any of my guns from Scheel's until they allow OC in their store.

I sent an email to the manager asking who their landlord is. I'll contact them once I know who it is.

varminter22

imported post

wayneco wrote:
I'm sorry but I'm just not buying this "landlord" thing at all, especially since this is now the first time we're hearing about it, months and months later... unless we're talking about the entire Sparks Marina project.

I agree with Wayne. Possible, but has a bad smell.

varminter22

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
wayneco wrote:

Although it has never yet been tested in court, I'll offer my non-attorney opinion that Nevada law, as amended by SB-92 in 2007, pre-empts that ordinance.

mk1

wayneco

imported post

mk1 wrote:
read # 16 of "code of conduct" the landlord "Red" is a kommy. I just sent email to red, legends, target, scheels and will be sending emails to all of their other tenants as well telling them they will never get a penny from me.

http://www.experiencelegends.com/post/sections/50/Files/CODE_OF_CONDUCT_Sparks.pdf

http://www.experiencelegends.com/contact/default.aspx

http://www.reddevelopment.com/contact/default.aspx

Possession or carrying of any firearms, simulated firearms, or weapons of any kind, openly or concealed, with or without a permit.

Well, I would like RED Development to prevent me from concealed carrying there, I have CC'ed every time I have gone into Scheels, even when I've gone in there to buy handguns, ironically, they walk you to the door with your handgun once purchase is complete, I'm unsure how one can buy any weapons from Scheels, it, according to these rules, makes one in violation of their code of conduct the second you take possession of it.

#16 needs to be stricken from their rules to harmonize them with the rest of northern/western Nevada culturally speaking, I find it so ridiculous that they have taken on Scheels as *the* anchor tenant who sells so many weapons on their land that I don't even know where to begin to critique it.

The only leverage we have is by applying pressure to Scheels. The only way to do that is by not patronizing them. I did buy a Sig from Scheels earlier this year but once I learned of their anti-OC policy I have from that moment on bought all weapons since from other suppliers, I am an idealist and simply cannot be party to rewarding discrimination against legal carry from a place that is in the primary business of selling weapons. The RED Development rules on top of that seals the deal.

mk1

imported post

We need to apply pressure to ALL the tenants of Legends buy not spending our dollors there and letting the tenants know why. I sent an email to Legends management and recieved no responce. I will be sending letters to all of the tenents letting them know I will never spend a penny as long as they have this "code of conduct".

wayneco

imported post

I agree, it is simply not in line with the cultural norms of northern and western nevada to ban lawful carry and RED Development needs a wake-up call.

Do you have a list of businesses you contacted? It would make it easy for the rest of us to follow your lead.