• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SW40VE aka: Sigma 3rd gen

BreakingTheMold

imported post

I bought it for $300 brand new came with 2 mags, bought 3, 15 round mags for about $26 a piece. The trigger pull is heavy, but IMO on top of being the only safety, it cuts limp wristing out almost entirely. The pull is not unbearable, but some might not like it. For the price it's a must have, accurate, great capacity. I polished the feed rails up a bit, mainly out of boredom.

I'm not saying its the end all be all, but it's a great 'wet work' gun. Only complaint is i bought the chromed one before i knew there was a black and green!

Edit: Some may not be impressed with S&W lately, but there warranty and turn around time are impressive.

jbird

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
If they could justfix that trigger. . .well, then it'd be a $550 M&P. . .:quirky

EXACTLY!

I shot a Sigma when they first came out at a S&W dealer seminar. I couldn't believe the trigger compared to the five pound trigger on my Glock 21. The factory marketing guy at the seminar went in to the company line about the reasons for the heavy trigger, but noone bought it. Pretty much every dealer there told them it wouldn't sell.

To the OP, the one I shot was accurate and worked reliably through several hundred rounds that day. Like you said, should be a good "wet work" pistol.

Jay

Tallinthesaddle

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I like the Sigma, I like the way it feels, but that trigger! I have had two of them and the second one I could nearly count the seconds from when I would start to pull the trigger and it would fire. Spend another $35 to $40 and get a Ruger P89 or P95.

But, one gun in one man's hand is not the same as in another's!

pdidinpain

imported post

yea well I LOVE MINE! My son a avid hunter 12 years old could hardly pull the trigger, nor could my wife so i know the safety works!!!! My buddies and i first day at the spot and let out 200 rounds and loved every second! My buddie loved it so much after having a choice of 5 diff handguns that he decided this would be his first. i love it so much i want it in the 9 mm to. the trigger can be played with but the method behind smith and wessons madness was for safty and knowing that my 12 guage shootin son had to pull really hard and look to see how to roll his finger to get it to work made me feel good and safe. i know i can rack one faster then gettin to the safety. Ya know some people like HiPoint, so compaired to that the sw40ve is a piece of art and i love it!

ecocks

imported post

I also love the Sigma. Good feel, lightweight, with a natural aim to it and the capacity is pretty good. There are 16 rd. mags out there now so you can carry 17.

As echoed by others above, the heavy trigger gives a bit of carry safety and reduces ND possibilities. GREAT for those who need to get comfortable and fidget a bit when they first start carrying. Reasonably accurate and after you gain experience it makes a good range or house gun. Someone, somewhere, mentioned a kit or reworking procedure which can lighten it up into the 7-8 lb. range.

4angrybadgers

imported post

I owned a Sigma (.40S&W) for half a year before I replaced it. While it is a solid gun for cheap, the trigger is horrible and the grip is so-so.

It's not just the weight of the trigger, the "safety" mechanism really messes up the ergonomics of the gun. Glocks and Springfield XDs have the "inner trigger" sort of safety, whereas the S&W Sigma has a "split" trigger. The bottom half of the trigger must move first to disengage the safety mechanisms. That means that instead of pulling back, I had to pull slightly downwards to get everything moving. Add on the 10 lb. or more trigger weight, and it prevents a smooth backwards pull on the trigger.

pdidinpain

imported post

4angrybadgers wrote:
I owned a Sigma (.40S&W) for half a year before I replaced it. While it is a solid gun for cheap, the trigger is horrible and the grip is so-so.

It's not just the weight of the trigger, the "safety" mechanism really messes up the ergonomics of the gun. Glocks and Springfield XDs have the "inner trigger" sort of safety, whereas the S&W Sigma has a "split" trigger. The bottom half of the trigger must move first to disengage the safety mechanisms. That means that instead of pulling back, I had to pull slightly downwards to get everything moving. Add on the 10 lb. or more trigger weight, and it prevents a smooth backwards pull on the trigger.

WOW i am really sorry you didnt like it, but for those of us that can not afford a 6 or $700 XD (even though i want in the tactical 45)or the glock, if you look hard enough the sw40ve is a glock! With a much nicer price. Dont get me wrong about glock, i love shootin them when its someone elses, becouse i can get 2 sigmas for the price of 1 glock and for me the more the merrier!!

Oh and did you or have you ever shot another sigma since? Maybe you had a bad apple? I know with glock you dont get a bad apple but some of us have to make due with what we got.

Just my 40 cent

4angrybadgers

imported post

pdidinpain wrote:
4angrybadgers wrote:

WOW i am really sorry you didnt like it, but for those of us that can not afford a 6 or $700 XD (even though i want in the tactical 45)or the glock, if you look hard enough the sw40ve is a glock! With a much nicer price. Dont get me wrong about glock, i love shootin them when its someone elses, becouse i can get 2 sigmas for the price of 1 glock and for me the more the merrier!!

Oh and did you or have you ever shot another sigma since? Maybe you had a bad apple? I know with glock you dont get a bad apple but some of us have to make due with what we got.

Just my 40 cent
I handled my dad's SW40VE and it felt the same. Again, it has to do with the way S&W implemented the trigger "safety" (breaking top-and-bottom instead of an inside piece), combined with the heavy trigger.

True, it does fill a price niche below Glock/Springfield. I just couldn't stand the trigger feel, and it screwed up my firing big-time. What's the point of a weapon if you can't properly use it? For me it was worth spending almost double the money to get a pistol I can actually shoot comfortably. My old roommate liked my Sigma and ended up buying it from me. If you like the feel, then great, you've got a bargain.