• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sir you cant come in here with a rifle on your hip

Peacemaker

imported post

modelo57 wrote:
BTW I still hate it when someone calls one of my wheel guns a pistol. I cleave the rabbit and inform them it is properly called a revolver. That is except my single action Army. I like to call it a "hogleg". Romantic, Heh? 
[/quote]

I have read enough laws that refer to both revolvers and semi-automatics as pistols that I would cut them some slack :).

groats

imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
modelo57 wrote:
BTW I still hate it when someone calls one of my wheel guns a pistol. I cleave the rabbit and inform them it is properly called a revolver. That is except my single action Army. I like to call it a "hogleg". Romantic, Heh? 
I have read enough laws that refer to both revolvers and semi-automatics as pistols that I would cut them some slack :).

The word 'pistol', referring to a gun held in the hand goes way back several hundred years. A revolver is a type of pistol. A derringer is a type of pistol, a semi-automatic is a type of pistol. Why does it bother you if someone calls it by its correct name?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

pumasideview.jpg

This is pretty close to a holstered rifle on a hip.

M

McX

imported post

you'd think being alaska and a supposed free state they would leave you alone no matter what you had on your hip.

imported post

craftsman wrote:
Peacemaker wrote:
modelo57 wrote:

The word 'pistol', referring to a gun held in the hand goes way back several hundred years. A revolver is a type of pistol. A derringer is a type of pistol, a semi-automatic is a type of pistol. Why does it bother you if someone calls it by its correct name?

Looks like modelo57 is going to be real busy making all the dictionaries redefine the word revolver as a pistol. Or maybe he is the one that is screwed up?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/revolver

Ohmie89

imported post

Open carried for the first time yesterday. Went in to Sportsman's Warehouse in Fairbanksfor about two hours no one seemed to notice but when i had to go back in to return a magazine pouch that didn't work for my magazines a guy standing by the front door told me i had to check my weapon in at customer service and make sure it was unloaded before i began to shop.

I politely explained to him that i knew the stores policy and that is is to follow the state law but he didn't believe me so i told him i would go in and ask the manager and that i would be back to let him know he was not correct.

So i went in and asked to see the manager and when i asked him what the store policy was on openly carried firearms he assured me that it was perfectly OK. Then when i asked who it was that told me to check my weapon in at customer service he said it couldn't have been an employee.

So i went back outside to inform the guy that what i was doing was perfectly OK he wasn't there.

Maybe he was just trying to hassle me because he doesn't believe in honest citizens carrying firearms. I don't know. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful except for a few double takes.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ohmie89 wrote:
Open carried for the first time yesterday. Went in to Sportsman's Warehouse in Fairbanksfor about two hours no one seemed to notice but when i had to go back in to return a magazine pouch that didn't work for my magazines a guy standing by the front door told me i had to check my weapon in at customer service and make sure it was unloaded before i began to shop.

I politely explained to him that i knew the stores policy and that is is to follow the state law but he didn't believe me so i told him i would go in and ask the manager and that i would be back to let him know he was not correct.

So i went in and asked to see the manager and when i asked him what the store policy was on openly carried firearms he assured me that it was perfectly OK. Then when i asked who it was that told me to check my weapon in at customer service he said it couldn't have been an employee.

So i went back outside to inform the guy that what i was doing was perfectly OK he wasn't there.

Maybe he was just trying to hassle me because he doesn't believe in honest citizens carrying firearms. I don't know. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful except for a few double takes.

Welcome to OCDO.

If I may suggest, next time have the person call for a manger to your location and wait there for him.

Does seem kind of strange that under the circumstances you described that he would allow you to proceed in a condition that he said was not allowed.

Yata hey

Ohmie89

imported post

Well I did go to customer service like he wanted and asked from there to see a manager. All he said is to go straight there. I think it might have just been someone else that had been shopping there taht thought he knew the store policy better than me. But then why didn't he stay there to let me try to prove him wrong if he thought he was right? I don't get it.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I hope to learn more about carrying on this forum. I am new to carrying.I am only 20 years old butstationed inAlaska where you can carry either openly or concealed without a permit. But you have to be 21 to conceal carry so i will open carry until i turn 21.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Seriously, how can you confuse a rifle with a pistol?

I asked the same question torangers and police that held me for several hours. "Don't you guys know the difference between a pistol and a rifle?" If 9 leo's don't know how is a woman at Walmart supposed to know?

brokenbarrel

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
'Couple years agoI stopped in a Denny'soff ofI-10 north of Tucson for some coffee. This waitress got all inna twitter over the 'rifle' on my hip. (1911-A1) I asked how long she'd been in Arizona... (a week). 'Told her get used to it... 'n this ain't no rifle. 'Told herI 'had' a rifle in the truck tho, if she'd prefer. :what:She ran off. I had to get another waitress. Where do they come up with this 'rifle' stuff?
if yur talkin bout the one in casa grande they have a no money sign on the door i was gonna get coffee there but seen that so decided not too even though i wasnt carrying at the time,what a shame I would of spent a good deal of money there,i live in the area but oh well...