• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry age

JBauer

imported post

Hey guys,

I live in Columbia/Boone, and I'm currently in the process of getting my non-resident CHL from Maine since I'm only 20, but in the meantime I've been considering OC as an alternative...if I can muster up the courage to do so.

My only concern is if you have to be 21+ or 23+ in order to OC. Apart from this website and a few others, I can't find any concrete statute or law for Missouri regarding OC and if there's a statutory limitation.

Seeing as how there are a lot of LEO who think you can't even lawfully possess a handgun until you're 21, I really want to make sure that if I do get over the fear of OC that I'm not going to end up in trouble.

I already keep a mini-card on me and in my guncase with the US Codes and RsMO's that back me up on lawfully possessing a handgun and thankfully it's turned a few officers red in the face after they've told me it's illegal.

Thanks guys

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

did you check our maps? MO has no age limit to OC apparently, and one of the tracvelling statutes allows evene concealeed carry in vehicles for those 18 and up. Do some more research on your home state on your own - you should be able to tell us the law by citing to statutess in your home state.

JBauer

imported post

Thanks, but I already checked the maps, and while I know it says that there isn't a statutory limit in Missouri, it doesn't state the source of that information nor can I find anything in the Missouri revised Statutes regarding OC (with the exception of the Rs regarding preemption) unless I'm to assume that the lack of its address means that it's legal and any statutory limit would have to be established at a local/county level.

In that case, there are no local/county ordinances addressing OC. Am I supposed to just take Section 23 of the Missouri BoR as a blanket statement giving me the right to OC?

Section 23. That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned; but this shall not justify the wearing of concealed weapons.

As unreliable as Wiki can be, it's section on Missouri States:

Missouri does allow open carry of firearms for those age 21 or older. However, city, county, and municipalities are allowed to pass local laws and ordinances restricting this. It is advisable to check local laws and ordinances before openly carrying a firearm within Missouri."

but it too does not cite the source of that information and I know that it's other statements about Missouri are out of date...but surely that information has a source somewhere also.

No offense to the OpenCarry maps, but given that just talking to some of the LEO who are at work often and having to prove that I can lawfully possess a handgun, I need something more concrete to defend me if I meet any resistance should I OC.

James357

imported post

Open Carry

Missouri does allow open carry of firearms for those age 21 or older. However, city, county, and municipalities are allowed to pass local laws and ordinances restricting this. It is advisable to check local laws and ordinances before openly carrying a firearm within Missouri. From Wikipedia

JBauer

imported post

JBauer wrote:
As unreliable as Wiki can be, it's section on Missouri States:

Missouri does allow open carry of firearms for those age 21 or older. However, city, county, and municipalities are allowed to pass local laws and ordinances restricting this. It is advisable to check local laws and ordinances before openly carrying a firearm within Missouri."

James357 wrote:
Open Carry

Missouri does allow open carry of firearms for those age 21 or older. However, city, county, and municipalities are allowed to pass local laws and ordinances restricting this. It is advisable to check local laws and ordinances before openly carrying a firearm within Missouri. From Wikipedia
Thanks, but I already read/posted that...but I want something more than someone who wrote it into Wikipedia and didn't cite it. IIRC, one of the separate gun articles on Wiki about Missouri also said I still needed to obtain a permit from the Sheriff before purchasing a handgun.

James357

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

James357 wrote:
Open Carry

Missouri does allow open carry of firearms for those age 21 or older.
Can you cite to any statute making it illegal to OC under age 21? We could not find any when we made the map, hence, no restriction.

JBauer

imported post

James357 wrote:
You don "NOT" need a permit from the sheriff anymore. They will do a back ground check on you at the gun store where you purchase your weapon.[size="+1"]Missourians Won't Need Sheriff's Permit To Buy Concealable Gun[/size]
http://www.kansascity.com/115/v-print/story/243405.html]Kansas City Star ^[/url] | Aug. 22, 2007 | KEVIN MURPHY

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:42:17 PM by neverdem

Residents of Missouri soon will no longer need a sheriff’s permit to buy a concealable gun, although a permit still will be required to carry one.
Thanks James, I don't mean to start anything so I hope you didn't take any offense. I know a permit isn't required to purchase a handgun, I mentioned that phrase because I read it on Wikipedia in one of the gun law articles and was using it as an example about Wiki's occasional unreliability.

Nikolas615

imported post

I am 20 and i live in Springfield. I understand that you can open carry a handgun "while traveling". What does "while traveling" consist of? Thanks!

Article1section23

imported post

James357 wrote:
Open Carry

Hey James, Wiki is wrong. There is no age limit in Mo. Anybody can sign up to edit wiki.

Nikolas615

imported post

Thanks for the link! Also is it legal to open carry a handgun that is registered under one of your immediate family members? One more thing...what if you are a non-resident of missouri? can you still open carry?

Big Boy

imported post

Yes, you should be able to OC in MO no matter what, and yes you can use one of your family members guns.

I am 21 and I OC.

Article1section23

imported post

Nikolas615 wrote:
Thanks for the link! (NP) Also is it legal to open carry a handgun that is registered under one of your immediate family members? (Yes) One more thing...what if you are a non-resident of missouri? (Yes) can you still open carry? (Yes)