Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: UPS STORE WON'T SHIP AMMO

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington KY, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    Just a quick rant. I received an order from Midway USA yesterday. My name was on the box. Inside was an invoice for some guy in Michigan. There was 30-06 ammon in the order. I immediately called Midway-they thanked me and gave me $15 to use online. I told them I would ship it back-but it must go UPS. I went to my local UPS STORE and told the clerk that there was ammo in the box. He looked at me as if Ihad just walked in from another planet. :shock:

    Clerk: we don't ship ammo

    Me: Isn't this a UPS STORE?

    Clerk: Yes, but we have regulations...

    Me: UPS brought the package to my house...

    Clerk: we don't ship ammo

    So I just took a business card with the store info on it, and for full effect as I was leaving I said, "This is a UPS STORE isn't it?"

    My plan is to contact that stores manager and UPS Corprate and I'm in Lexington-the store is the one located in Tates Creek Center-I will not give them any more business.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Near Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    122

    Post imported post

    You have to take ammo to the UPS hub. The store outlets won't ship it if you tell them what is inside.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    Strange. I've shipped ammo through a UPS store. I even told them what it was to make sure it wasn't against any of their policy.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Near Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    122

    Post imported post

    FogRider wrote:
    Strange. I've shipped ammo through a UPS store. I even told them what it was to make sure it wasn't against any of their policy.
    Might be a different operator or franchisee.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    The store you went to may not be UPS, but rather a separat entity. I ran into that problem here at 2 UPS "Drop off stores". They said their policy was "no ammo shipments". The stores were other businesses that handled UPS drop-offs as an aside. The billing system that they used was a saparate business from UPS, even though they shipped via UPS.

    Simply put, the store you went to may have been ABC Shipping and advertise that "We Ship via UPS"

    However I was able to call UPS and order a pickup at my residence and got some ammo shipped to my daughter in Indiana. UPS does ship ammo, but I think it is under "hazardous material". The UPS operator asked if I had a ORM-D label to put on my package. I said I didn't and she told me to write it on the box inside a rectangle and that would suffice.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510

    Post imported post

    Simply label it "ORM-D", and for contents list "Cartridges, small arms". Most won't even clue into the fact that it's ammo.

    It might be against UPS rules to allow ammo shipment from franchise stores, but that's between the store and UPS. Once they accept your package for shipment, UPS is going to ship it.


  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    KBCraig wrote:
    Simply label it "ORM-D", and for contents list "Cartridges, small arms". Most won't even clue into the fact that it's ammo.

    It might be against UPS rules to allow ammo shipment from franchise stores, but that's between the store and UPS. Once they accept your package for shipment, UPS is going to ship it.
    Actually, I believe it's the franchise stores that have the no ammo policy. UPS will ship ammo and other hazardous materials, they just want to know about it so they can handle the shipments accordingly.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    8th ID wrote:
    Just a quick rant. I received an order from Midway USA yesterday. My name was on the box. Inside was an invoice for some guy in Michigan. There was 30-06 ammon in the order. I immediately called Midway-they thanked me and gave me $15 to use online. I told them I would ship it back-but it must go UPS. I went to my local UPS STORE and told the clerk that there was ammo in the box. He looked at me as if Ihad just walked in from another planet. :shock:

    Clerk: we don't ship ammo

    Me: Isn't this a UPS STORE?

    Clerk: Yes, but we have regulations...

    Me: UPS brought the package to my house...

    Clerk: we don't ship ammo

    So I just took a business card with the store info on it, and for full effect as I was leaving I said, "This is a UPS STORE isn't it?"

    My plan is to contact that stores manager and UPS Corprate and I'm in Lexington-the store is the one located in Tates Creek Center-I will not give them any more business.
    Everyone knows only criminals and terrorists "ship" ammo, unless your a federally created corporate entity that's controlled by tight federal regulations. Freedom is dangerous.

    Indeed. You will fair much better contacting the CEO of UPS. The store employee, as you probably already know, is just an employee enforcing policy. The store manager will be equally as useless as the store employee, as they are just enforcing corporate policy, which is controlled by corporate controlled insurance companies. I'm sure we can insert congress somewhere above the insurance companies, as to who can be blamed further.

    So, the real question is, can you carry into a UPS store?

  9. #9
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    KBCraig wrote:
    Simply label it "ORM-D", and for contents list "Cartridges, small arms". Most won't even clue into the fact that it's ammo.

    It might be against UPS rules to allow ammo shipment from franchise stores, but that's between the store and UPS. Once they accept your package for shipment, UPS is going to ship it.
    Actually, I believe it's the franchise stores that have the no ammo policy. UPS will ship ammo and other hazardous materials, they just want to know about it so they can handle the shipments accordingly.
    So do the franchise stores believe ammo will jump out of the package, unbox themselves, strike their own primers, and somehow gain enough velocity to propel themselves into a nearby box of rolled tape? I mean, where is the breakdown in logic from the UPS warehouse pickup locations, and franchise regulations?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington KY, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    This WAS a UPS STORE. I called to try to talk with manager/owner-not in. I emailed UPS and am waiting on a reply. I also have the address for corprate in Atlanta. It all seems silly:shock:OH the ignorance of the uninformed when it comes to weapons...

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    Thats crazy I work at ups the big hub on fern valley rd and we ship all kinds of ammo and tons of firearms.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    It's possible that there are anti-gunners working at some of these UPS drop-off stores. They could be making up "policy" on there own. We have 2 or three different drivers that deliver at our residence here and they tell us that UPS WILL ship ammo and firearms. They deliver ammo here all the time, knowingly.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    It's the store policies not to ship Haz-Mat. You've got to bring it directly to the local hub to ship it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    catass wrote:
    It's the store policies not to ship Haz-Mat. You've got to bring it directly to the local hub to ship it.
    Is this for the purpase of insuring that the Haz-Mat is properly packaged? That would seem reasonable.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington KY, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    I received an email reply from UPS. Basically what they said was a UPS STORE is part of UPS, but is owned by a franchisee. All UPS STORES can ship any items that the big brown drivers are allowed to carry. So, the clerk/manager/owner where I had my encounter can set any policies they want. It makes little sense to me, but it's their business. Just a business that I will never use again. It seems that the ignorant anti's are afraid of AMMO:shock:It's crazy!!!!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    catass wrote:
    It's the store policies not to ship Haz-Mat. You've got to bring it directly to the local hub to ship it.
    Is this for the purpose of insuring that the Haz-Mat is properly packaged?
    Exactly.

    Depending on what it is, the proper placards have to be affixed to the packaging.

    Try mailing Zippo lighter fluid through a UPS Store & they'll give the same no as they do with firearms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    As far as I know the UPS stores are a separate franchise then UPS. They pay for the use of the UPS name because its well known for being reliable. Basically your paying them to package and send via UPS instead of you doing it yourself.

    As far as shipping ammo, I have heard of UPS stores having problems with it but anyone who works for UPS knows UPS ships ammo. Really they will ship anything.
    They do need to know it is ammo though. To ensure is receives proper care for being considered Haz-Mat.

    Or at least that is my understanding. I have family who work for UPS at the hub in Louisville.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Liberty4Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    330

    Post imported post

    I've shipped ammo from the UPS Store on Richmond Road at Mt. Tabor. They ship A LOT of guns for a friend of mine who is probably the highest volume gun dealer on GunBroker.com.

    I downloaded the ORM-D label art from an online source (Google for ORM-D, and select Images). I printed the labels on my printer.

    I find it best to put the ORM-D label on there and then avoid discussions of the package contents.

    In case anyone here doesn't know... do not try to ship ammo at a US Post Office. They don't do that, and you might even get in trouble for trying. Besides, they don't allow firearms at the Post Office.

    Buy rice. Buy beans. Buy guns. Buy ammo.
    This is your final SHTF warning.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington KY, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    Liberty4Ever wrote:
    I've shipped ammo from the UPS Store on Richmond Road at Mt. Tabor. They ship A LOT of guns for a friend of mine who is probably the highest volume gun dealer on GunBroker.com.

    I downloaded the ORM-D label art from an online source (Google for ORM-D, and select Images). I printed the labels on my printer.

    I find it best to put the ORM-D label on there and then avoid discussions of the package contents.

    In case anyone here doesn't know... do not try to ship ammo at a US Post Office. They don't do that, and you might even get in trouble for trying. Besides, they don't allow firearms at the Post Office.
    I goofed up and added the quote by mistake. Sorry. But I have to say I didn't know what a PLR 16 was-so I looked it up:shock: Nice!!!

  20. #20
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    How to Ship Ammunition

    There have been a lot of inquiries into how to ship ammunition and questioning whether you can ship it at all with today’s transportation laws. Well, we did some extensive research to get the correct answer for you and here it is:

    According to UPS, shipping ammunition is allowed, but there are some stipulations. The stipulations are not put in place by UPS, but instead, by the Department of Transportation. The D.O.T. has a classification called Title 49 CFR that spells out the details. We have summarized those details for you specific to shipping ammunition. FedEx has the same requirements, but also wants you to include a “Shippers Declaration for Dangerous Goods” form which is on their site if you do a search for “Dangerous Goods Forms”. The USPS follows the D.O.T. requirements but in talking to some of the USPS locations, the managers stated they would not accept the packages anyway in this day and age, so we recommend only using UPS or FedEx to ship ammo.

    Title 49 CFR states in Chapter 1, section 173.63 the packaging exceptions to full regulation. Under that section, (b) Cartridges, small arms, may be reclassed, and offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material is limited to:

    Under this “limited to” section, there is item (i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun; and (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shot shells.

    This is the critical part to shipping ammunition. If it is 50 caliber or less, or 8 gauge or less, UPS will take the shipment in a sturdy box marked with a ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms label on the outside of the box. UPS does recommend using this label as opposed to a regular ORM-D label from our research and inquiries to UPS themselves. Part 172, subchapter E states the label should be affixed near the shipping address location on the package. By placing it here, the carrier will see it as they direct the package to the correct location during shipment.

    Now, under section 173.115, part (v) it states that cartridges, and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packaging. The label marking is the same as above.

    There have been a lot of questions about Hazardous Material training for shipping ORM-D materials. This is a true fact. UPS or any other carrier does not require training. It is required by the D.O.T. and is listed under section 172.74 were the training can be performed by yourself and all you need to have is a documented record of the following:

    Hazmat employee name
    Training date
    Copy of the training materials
    Name and address of person providing training (This can be yourself)
    A certificate showing the employee is trained. (This can be made in house)
    A description of the training is found at hazmat.dot.gov on the Internet without the www and click on rules and regulations. The key part of the in house training is you don’t have to pay someone to train you. Just read this section and put together the emergency contacts, and procedures in case there is a issue. Easy stuff. With that, anyone can ship ammunition with ease, and the correct way.

    Key resources for this ammunition shipping guideline included UPS through their hazardous materials department at 800-554-9964, FedEx 800.463.3339 through Dangerous Goods, USPS local locations and the Department of Transportation Classification division at 800-467-4922 and the Office of Hazardous Materials Safety on line at hazmat.dot.gov were all the documentation is listed. Knowing how to ship ammunition or ammo the correct way is important. Please pass this information on.

    also, unless it weighs OVER 1001 pounds in this category, its not considered HAZ/MAT and the shipper should NOT charge a haz/mat fee for the ammo.....



  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    M1Gunr wrote:
    also, unless it weighs OVER 1001 pounds in this category, its not considered HAZ/MAT and the shipper should NOT charge a haz/mat fee for the ammo.....

    if it's under 1,001lbs it's still considered haz-mat, it just doesn't require placards on the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Liberty4Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    330

    Post imported post

    M1Gunr wrote:
    The USPS follows the D.O.T. requirements but in talking to some of the USPS locations, the managers stated they would not accept the packages anyway in this day and age, so we recommend only using UPS or FedEx to ship ammo.
    I had always read that it was illegal to ship any ammo via USPS and all ammunition must ship via commn carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc.)

    http://pe.usps.gov/search/jsp/search/vv_docread.jsp?k2dockey=http%3A%2F%2Fpe.usps.com%2 Ftext%2Fqsg300%2FQ601.htm%40PE_QSG300_HTML_5&s erverSpec=56.0.145.56:9920&QueryParser=Simple& amp;querytext=(601.10.11)&dtype=2#hit0

    Sorry for the long link, but it shows ammunition listed as an example of their explosives class, even though smokeless powder doesn't explode. There seemed to be an exception for surface shipping if small amounts of ammunition were packaged correctly, but I wasn't able to figure out how small the ammo quantity would need to be, and how it needed to be packaged to be acceptable.

    I do know that all the places I purchase ammo from online refuse to ship it USPS and will only ship ammo via UPS and FedEx. It my be that it's technically possible but not realistic or practical.

    It looks like the law wouldn't be so difficult to understand, unless they just don't want to ship ammo and want to make it as difficult as possible.

    Buy rice. Buy beans. Buy guns. Buy ammo.
    This is your final SHTF warning.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Confederate Territory, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    catass wrote:
    It's the store policies not to ship Haz-Mat. You've got to bring it directly to the local hub to ship it.
    Local UPS Store in Hopkinsville is anti-gun. They refused to ship a barrel for me just because it was a gun part. Nothing to do with haz-mat , just because it went on a gun they wouldn`t touch it. We are talking about a piece of metal with a hole through it , piece of steel water pipe from Lowe`s is OK but piece of pipe for a gun is no go there.

    I now only use Fed Ex. They don`t care what is in the package as long as they get paid.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Liberty4Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    330

    Post imported post

    Hellbilly wrote:
    Local UPS Store in Hopkinsville is anti-gun. They refused to ship a barrel for me just because it was a gun part.
    I'm surprised you have trouble in Hopkinsville.

    When I need to ship gun parts, I tell them they're "machine parts" if they ask. If I need to ship a gun, I'll usually declare it's a high speed hole punch.

    Mostly, I want to avoid the package being stolen if someone thinks it's a gun, although the shipping address is usually a dead giveaway if it's going to a gun shop or gun manufacturer.

    Buy rice. Buy beans. Buy guns. Buy ammo.
    This is your final SHTF warning.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Confederate Territory, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    So your saying lie to UPS to get what you want ?

    So much for open carry being the "honest" gun owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •