• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UPS STORE WON'T SHIP AMMO

FightingGlock19

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
also, unless it weighs OVER 1001 pounds in this category, its not considered HAZ/MAT and the shipper should NOT charge a haz/mat fee for the ammo.....
if it's under 1,001lbs it's still considered haz-mat, it just doesn't require placards on the vehicle.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
The USPS follows the D.O.T. requirements but in talking to some of the USPS locations, the managers stated they would not accept the packages anyway in this day and age, so we recommend only using UPS or FedEx to ship ammo.
I had always read that it was illegal to ship any ammo via USPS and all ammunition must ship via commn carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc.)

http://pe.usps.gov/search/jsp/search/vv_docread.jsp?k2dockey=http%3A%2F%2Fpe.usps.com%2Ftext%2Fqsg300%2FQ601.htm%40PE_QSG300_HTML_5&serverSpec=56.0.145.56:9920&QueryParser=Simple&querytext=(601.10.11)&dtype=2#hit0

Sorry for the long link, but it shows ammunition listed as an example of their explosives class, even though smokeless powder doesn't explode. There seemed to be an exception for surface shipping if small amounts of ammunition were packaged correctly, but I wasn't able to figure out how small the ammo quantity would need to be, and how it needed to be packaged to be acceptable.

I do know that all the places I purchase ammo from online refuse to ship it USPS and will only ship ammo via UPS and FedEx. It my be that it's technically possible but not realistic or practical.

It looks like the law wouldn't be so difficult to understand, unless they just don't want to ship ammo and want to make it as difficult as possible.

Hellbilly

imported post

catass wrote:
It's the store policies not to ship Haz-Mat. You've got to bring it directly to the local hub to ship it.

Local UPS Store in Hopkinsville is anti-gun. They refused to ship a barrel for me just because it was a gun part. Nothing to do with haz-mat , just because it went on a gun they wouldn`t touch it. We are talking about a piece of metal with a hole through it , piece of steel water pipe from Lowe`s is OK but piece of pipe for a gun is no go there.

I now only use Fed Ex. They don`t care what is in the package as long as they get paid.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

Hellbilly wrote:
Local UPS Store in Hopkinsville is anti-gun. They refused to ship a barrel for me just because it was a gun part.
I'm surprised you have trouble in Hopkinsville.

When I need to ship gun parts, I tell them they're "machine parts" if they ask. If I need to ship a gun, I'll usually declare it's a high speed hole punch. :)

Mostly, I want to avoid the package being stolen if someone thinks it's a gun, although the shipping address is usually a dead giveaway if it's going to a gun shop or gun manufacturer.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

Hellbilly wrote:
So your saying lie to UPS to get what you want?

So much for open carry being the "honest" gun owners.
I'll ignore your question, because any answer I give will only lead downhill.

I ignored your similarly antagonistic comments in another thread because they were not directed toward me, but now that you have addressed your acerbic comments to me, I'll ask the question I wanted to ask.

Hellbilly wrote:
Open carry is not smart, legal or not it is stupid
Why are you here?

KBCraig

imported post

Hellbilly wrote:
Local UPS Store in Hopkinsville is anti-gun. They refused to ship a barrel for me just because it was a gun part.
It's actually illegal for them, as a common carrier, to refuse to ship something in accordance with their published tariff.

Hellbilly

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Hellbilly wrote:
It's actually illegal for them, as a common carrier, to refuse to ship something in accordance with their published tariff.
They claimed UPS would not allow them to ship the barrel. I just switched to Fed Ex and don`t spend my money with them any more.

Hellbilly

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote:
Hellbilly wrote:
So your saying lie to UPS to get what you want?

So much for open carry being the "honest" gun owners.
I'll ignore your question, because any answer I give will only lead downhill.

I ignored your similarly antagonistic comments in another thread because they were not directed toward me, but now that you have addressed your acerbic comments to me, I'll ask the question I wanted to ask.

Hellbilly wrote:
Open carry is not smart, legal or not it is stupid
Why are you here?
The thread went downhill when you suggested lies to UPS. There are legalities to shipping firearms and ammo. Your suggestion is a perfect example to the arrogance of "we are the honest ones" that is displayed by some on this board. Should we send a link to Sarah Brady showing how even the "honest firearms owners" suggest breaking firearm laws?

Maybe someday you will figure out showing off at the mall with your pistol is not helping gun rights.

ps. Don`t forget to call the local TV station and let them know you will be at the mall showing off your pistol , wouldn`t want to miss a photo op.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

Uhh, if you'll check back in this thread, you'll find me recommending NOT mailing ammo via the USPS because most of the time it'd be illegal. I have never recommended anything illegal. Technically, I didn't even recommend lying to the people behind the UPS counter if they became nosier than the law required, not that lying to a UPS shipping clerk would be illegal.

Your other inflammatory personal attacks and warrantless speculation about my character are typical of almost all of your contributions in this forum, and are not worthy of a reply.

KBCraig

imported post

Hellbilly wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Hellbilly wrote:
They claimed UPS would not allow them to ship the barrel.

They lied. Any time a common carrier (or their contracting agents) tries to tell you they can't do something, ask them to show it to you in their tariff manual.

By the way, you're free to ship every part of a gun except the receiver, without telling them what it is, or even lying about the contents.

The receiver is the gun; everything else is just parts. It would be perfectly legal to ship that barrel as a "pipe", "tube", or "machine part".

KBCraig

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote:
Technically, I didn't even recommend lying to the people behind the UPS counter if they became nosier than the law required, not that lying to a UPS shipping clerk would be illegal.

I know you stated "gun parts", and as I just replied, it's perfectly legal to lie to UPS about anything except the receiver.

If you're shipping a receiver, even one that's stripped bare, it is illegal to lie to a shipping clerk about it. Federal law requires you to notify a common carrier any time you ship a firearm. For legal purposes, the receiver is the firearm.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Hellbilly wrote:
catass wrote:
It's the store policies not to ship Haz-Mat. You've got to bring it directly to the local hub to ship it.

Mrs. catass shipped a Remington 870 barrel through the local UPS store a year, or two, ago. They didn't really want to, but they took it, packaged it, and shipped it :question:

Hellbilly

imported post

I figured them just anti-gun and telling lies so now spend my shipping dollars elsewhere.

I have ordered and shipped many gun parts and other than the part with the serial number they are just a piece of metal or wood if you have a real gun.:D ( that is a tupperware pistol joke if you didn`t catch it )

old dog

imported post

There is a business in my neighborhood called Goin' Postal which apparently serves several common carriers but refused to ship a rifle to Marlin. Odd, since I have shipped and received firearms and shooting supplies through both Fed Ex and UPS. I don't know if this is an independent operation or part of some franchise.

8th ID

imported post

HELLBILLY- First let me say that I respect and would protect YOUR RIGHT to carry a firearm any way you choose. You can have any opinion you like about people who OC. I guess I took offense that you believe people who OC are stupid. And I see you never answered Liberty4Ever's question as to why you were on this site.

I guess I'd just like to say that people who OC are exercising their 2A right. No one I know who carries a weapon OCis "showing off" as you put it. All OC'ers I have had contact with are polite, curteous, friendly individuals. But here is the thing: People who OC are not going to "hide" when exercising a legal, constitutionally guaranteed right. My father and ALL of his 5 brothers are veterans, 2 of them were on Omaha Beach. My brother just returned from Afghanistan in March. I was in the Army during the first Gulf War-I think we've paid enough for me to be able to walk down the street in AMERICA with a pistol on my side.

Hellbilly

imported post

old dog wrote:
There is a business in my neighborhood called Goin' Postal which apparently serves several common carriers but refused to ship a rifle to Marlin. Odd, since I have shipped and received firearms and shooting supplies through both Fed Ex and UPS. I don't know if this is an independent operation or part of some franchise.
Goin` Postal is what I have been using , the one near here is a Fed Ex outlet. Must depend on the individual running the place as the one near here doesn`t even ask what is in the packages.

Hellbilly

imported post

8th ID,

I only voiced my opinion on open carry as some here have told me that I am a dishonest person because I conceal carry. My opinion is worth no more than anyones. I don`t worry about those that think I am dishonest and you should not worry about what I think , they are only opinions.

Not that is it yours or anyones business but I came to this site as I have other firearm websites to try and get some good people together for a training group. I have a 70 yard range at my home and was interested in building my skills with others in a monthly or even weekly training group. I came here to offer a free place to shoot to those interested in building their skills with weapons. After seeing the narrow minded and arrogant attitude of some here I think we can forget about the training group and free range offer to members of this site.

Another thing , the name of this country is the United States , not America. Funny how so many that want to talk rights do not even use the correct name for their own country.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Hellbilly wrote:
After seeing the narrow minded and arrogant attitude of some here I think we can forget about the training group and free range offer to members of this site.
They're not interested in dynamic movement drills with dis-honest people like us :(

Now, if you were talking about marksmanship masturbation, they'd be all about it :lol: