• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Wenatchee?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

FrayedString wrote:
I have a CPL and have carried concealed a few times, however I have never open carried. I'm curious if anyone has openly carried recently in Wenatchee and how their experience was.

I worked over there a little this winter and had no problems open carrying. Even got into a conversation with the local sherrif about our Glocks at at Starbucks. I was pretty impressed with Wenatchee.

The only person who didn't like it was a gangbanger who decided not to fully enter another Starbucks I was at and left, after he saw my side arm.

bugly

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
FrayedString wrote:
I have a CPL and have carried concealed a few times, however I have never open carried. I'm curious if anyone has openly carried recently in Wenatchee and how their experience was.

I worked over there a little this winter and had no problems open carrying. Even got into a conversation with the local sherrif about our Glocks at at Starbucks. I was pretty impressed with Wenatchee.

The only person who didn't like it was a gangbanger who decided not to fully enter another Starbucks I was at and left, after he saw my side arm.
You probably prevented a crime without even knowing it...

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I have no idea what his intentions were, but he didn't like the sight of my gun and turned tail and left. He might have just wanted some coffee either way it shows that folks like that don't like armed people around them.

bugly

imported post

If, by "people like that", you mean those with criminal intent, I couldn't care less about their feelings. Others that "just don't like guns" should study their history books a little, those wars weren't won by rainbows and sunshine...

FrayedString

imported post

Loosely in response to the comments about the gangbanger:

For my own personal protection, and the protection of those around me, I feel that concealed carry is the better choice; since, if I am OCing, anyone with ill intentions would be well aware of the fact that I was armed before attempting anything - which could lead to getting shot right at the beginning of the commission of a crime, before even being aware that one was being committed.

My recent interest in open carry has to do with my concern of losing the right to do so if that right isn't being exercised. It occurred to me, recently, that I hadn't ever really seen anyone open carrying around town; and I wasn't sure if I had the nerve to be forging those new trails alone.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

There has been lots of debates on open vs. conceal. Glad you are into it if only to excercise your right to do so. I personally feel that openly carrying deters criminals as my Starbucks experience has shown. Manu and Deros may have delayed a bank robbery.

The evidence has shown criminals don't like armed persons. John Stossel has done an excellent job on a 20/20 interview with gangbangers and criminals that showed this to be the case also.

Anyway glad to have you on board no matter why you do it. You will find some on here who feel the same way as you do. I welcome your input and opinions and look forward to future discussions.

FrayedString

imported post

Well I went to one of the local gun stores tonight and bought a Serpa for my Kimber Custom II. I asked about the general attitude around town about open carry and the impression was that I could draw a bit of attention but was told that there are some who do OC. We'll see if I have the nerve to go ahead and OC myself.

DamonK

I personally think the hardest part for me was just starting. When I was first considering open carry, I had plenty of doubts. But then I just made it a part of my life. I carry everywhere. I think that actually makes it easier for the people that you know as well as yourself. Good luck, and God Bless!

country.hacker

Funny this thread should get bumped, I was just there Thursday and walked around Riverside Park with my two girls while my wife worked out at the Gold's Gym. I think I got approached by an off duty LEO, he was walking a dog and had two girls with him and was super friendly, said he had a friend who OCd and asked why I do it, shook my hand when I left. Just seemed like a friendly guy. Then when he walked away, he and his girls got into what looked like an unmarked cop car, dark-ish Crown Vic with a spotlight and "cop style" rims. I had to chuckle.

amlevin

Others that "just don't like guns" should study their history books a little, those wars weren't won by rainbows and sunshine...

They'd probably come to the conclusion that everyone should go back to carrying Spears, Bows, and Swords. They probably won more wars than guns. Just not modern era wars.

Wouldn't that be interesting. Going out for Coffee and having the shop look like an ad for Capitol One (What's in YOUR wallet?)