• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which state is the most free?

mahkagari

imported post

I'll have to digest this more later but two highlights:

Gun control (or the lack thereof) accounted for 1/15 of the criteria to designate "freedom". I'd call that significant given how many other freedoms they had to weigh.

"We find that the freest states in the country are New Hampshire, Colorado, and South Dakota, which together achieve a virtual tie for first place. All three states feature low taxes and government spending and middling levels of regulation and paternalism. New York is the least free by a considerable margin, followed by New Jersey, Rhode Island, California and Maryland. On personal freedom alone, Alaska is the clear winner, while Maryland brings up the rear. "

http://www.statepolicyindex.com/?page_id=143

Thelink at http://freedom.robocourt.com/uses the data to make a fun toy. You can customize the weight of issues important to you to see how the states stack up. I picked the top 5 or so for me and COranked first behind Alaska.

Remind me to stay out of Maryland.

Gunslinger

imported post

Living in CO and having lived for a long time in NH, I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment. On the other end, I've lived in the PDRs of IL, MA, MDand CA, too. The same holds true at the low end.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Living in CO and having lived for a long time in NH, I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment. On the other end, I've lived in the PDRs of IL, MA, MDand CA, too. The same holds true at the low end.
It's a shame that the least free states have the best food.