• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Parks

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
DESERT ATILLA wrote:
Right on, Tim! I'm starting to think that it's time to organize some kind of defense fund. This needs to be a topic at our meet on Sunday.
Any chance of getting NRA or GOA to step up and help financially, or at least with finding a really good pro-gun (and preferably pro-bono) lawyer?
Actually, I have been playing phone tag today with Carrie Herbertson from NRA. She left a VM regarding them having retained a law firm here in Vegas. Letters sent to the City Atty's for each local city, plus the county DA's office have apparently been unanswered.

Once I get a better read from her I'll provide an update here.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't have confirmation of this, but if I had to guess it would be Parsons, Behle, and Latimer. On the NV Legislative web site, a list of paid lobbyists shows Mr. Rew Goodenow as a paid lobbyist representing the NRA:

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Lobbyist/reports/LobbyistDetail.cfm?lobbyist=547&Session=75

Mr. Goodenow's email address is to the domain of the Salt Lake City based law firm Parsons, Behle and Latimer, with addresses in SLC, Reno, and Las Vegas.

Again, it's mere speculation, but it seems logical given the facts.

Tim

wrightme

imported post

geoffw wrote:
varminter22 wrote:
Actually, the law firm is in Reno.

WOW, thats helpfull!

A Lawfirm in Reno to fight a problem in Vegas. Go Figure.
While some of the regulations that are not being pre-empted are in Clark County and/or Las Vegas, I see this as a State problem.

varminter22

imported post

wrightme wrote:
geoffw wrote:
varminter22 wrote:
Actually, the law firm is in Reno.

WOW, thats helpfull!

A Lawfirm in Reno to fight a problem in Vegas. Go Figure.
While some of the regulations that are not being pre-empted are in Clark County and/or Las Vegas, I see this as a State problem.

EXACTLY!

There are local ordinances in other jurisdictions that are also affected. Clark County just has the most, best known, heinous and draconian ordinances.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

If at all possible, have another member here join you, UNARMED, with equipment to video record any encounter.

If you are arressted, that person can have the whole thing documented (since it would likely not be otherwise) on video. That person would also be able to keep us update should you be otherwise detained.

Thank you for your willingness to put your freedoms up for the freedoms of all.

wayneco

imported post

I am just catching up on this thread now, I'm impressed with your tenacity and bravery in the face of institutional prejudice and arrogance.

It's understandable that the law firm the NRA would have hired to be in close proximity of the state capitol as it typically advocates for legal reform at the state level. I wouldn't let the fact that they are in Reno get you down.

Has this event happened yet?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This morning I spoke to the legislative counsel's office. They said they were unable to provide a "legal opinion" or take sides one way or the other.

However, they did point out and remind me of this additional detail:

The legislature is not in the business of adding extraneous words unnecessarily.
In looking at the bill, the definition of a firearm was amended in BOTH subsections 1 & 4 of each of the first 3 sections of the bill. The definition of a firearm that applies to the registration of a firearm is in subsection 4. The definition of a firearm in subsection 1 applies only to subsection 1. No other amendment was made to subsection 1 (this is the paragraph that really has the teeth of preemption).

Clark County maintains that the bill's ONLY purpose was to change the registration law. If that's the case, then what was the purpose of the legislature's amendment in subsection 1? If the legislature does not add extraneous words, then the amended definition in subsection 1, which has absolutely no bearing on registration law, suggests a second purpose or intent of the law.

Unfortunately, their office offered this mere tidbit and sent me back to square one. I now feel even more confident in my position, but have absolutely no direction, other than to challenge this in court. Since I have no money to bring civil suit, I have little other choice but to be arrested and fight this in criminal court.

wayneco

imported post

timf343 wrote:
This morning I spoke to the legislative counsel's office.  They said they were unable to provide a "legal opinion" or take sides one way or the other.

Unfortunately, their office offered this mere tidbit and sent me back to square one.  I now feel even more confident in my position, but have absolutely no direction, other than to challenge this in court.  Since I have no money to bring civil suit, I have little other choice but to be arrested and fight this in criminal court.

Tim,

If you follow through with this, you are truly a hero for the cause.

I would be quite interested to hear from the actual authors of the bill on their take. If I were a legislator and wrote state legislation to assure my state's citizens of their civil rights that was signed into law only to have renegade, activist municipalities thumb their nose at the state capitol and the people, I'd be furious.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

wayneco wrote:
timf343 wrote:
This morning I spoke to the legislative counsel's office. They said they were unable to provide a "legal opinion" or take sides one way or the other.

Unfortunately, their office offered this mere tidbit and sent me back to square one. I now feel even more confident in my position, but have absolutely no direction, other than to challenge this in court. Since I have no money to bring civil suit, I have little other choice but to be arrested and fight this in criminal court.

Tim,

If you follow through with this, you are truly a hero for the cause.

I would be quite interested to hear from the actual authors of the bill on their take. If I were a legislator and wrote state legislation to assure my state's citizens of their civil rights that was signed into law only to have renegade, activist municipalities thumb their nose at the state capitol and the people, I'd be furious.
ditto

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Unfortunately the reason I was talking to the legislative counsel's office is that "many" of the legislators I emailed forwarded my email to that office. It's almost like they don't care.

DESERT ATILLA

imported post

Hey Tim,

Don't forget that this is quite probably a civil rights issue and the ACLU should be willing to take this on. On a side note, the meet and greet was great! I'm looking forward to our next gathering.

wayneco

imported post

DESERT ATILLA wrote:
Hey Tim,

Don't forget that this is quite probably a civil rights issue and the ACLU should be willing to take this on.  On a side note, the meet and greet was great!  I'm looking forward to our next gathering.

HA HA HA! If it weren't so sad, I would think you were making a joke there.

The ACLU works hard to preserve rights for terrorists, create rights for illegal aliens, pedophiles and murders while also actively, arrogantly advocating against my and your 2A rights. Yes, I said against your 2A rights, they expressly believe you have no 2A rights and that the recent Supreme Court ruling was an incorrect, defective interpretation of the 2A.

Until they reaffirmed their position *after* Heller, I was somewhat neutral-to-slightly positive on the ACLU. Hell no, not now, game over.

The ACLU should be called the American (Some) Civil Liberties Union --the some being the ones *they* believe you should have, not the ones enumerated in the Constitution, because they have repeatedly, even post Heller, stated that they do not believe that the 2A is an individual right in any way, under any circumstances.

Here are a few tidbits from their own web site, I hope you are sitting down:

http://www.aclu.org/crimjustice/gen/35904res20020304.html

Home : Criminal Justice : General

Second Amendment

Updated: 7/8/2008

The Second Amendment provides: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

ACLU POSITION

Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right. For seven decades, the Supreme Court's 1939 decision in United States v. Miller was widely understood to have endorsed that view.

The Supreme Court has now ruled otherwise. In striking down Washington D.C.'s handgun ban by a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court's 2008 decision in D.C. v. Heller held for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms, whether or not associated with a state militia.

The ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court's conclusion about the nature of the right protected by the Second Amendment. We do not, however, take a position on gun control itself. In our view, neither the possession of guns nor the regulation of guns raises a civil liberties issue.

ANALYSIS

Although ACLU policy cites the Supreme Court's decision in U.S. v. Miller as support for our position on the Second Amendment, our policy was never dependent on Miller. Rather, like all ACLU policies, it reflects the ACLU's own understanding of the Constitution and civil liberties.

Heller takes a different approach than the ACLU has advocated. At the same time, it leaves many unresolved questions, including what firearms are protected by the Second Amendment, what regulations (short of an outright ban) may be upheld, and how that determination will be made.

Those questions will, presumably, be answered over time.

and

http://blog.aclu.org/2008/07/01/heller-decision-and-the-second-amendment/

July 1st, 2008
Posted by Suzanne Ito, ACLU at 3:44 pm

CIVIL LIBERTIES NEWS, U.S. SUPREME COURT
Heller Decision and the Second Amendment

So, we’ve been getting a lot of comments about the ACLU’s stance on the Second Amendment. For those of you who didn’t catch our response in the blog comments, here it is again:

The ACLU interprets the Second Amendment as a collective right. Therefore, we disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision in D.C. v. Heller. While the decision is a significant and historic reinterpretation of the right to keep and bear arms, the decision leaves many important questions unanswered that will have to be resolved in future litigation, including what regulations are permissible, and which weapons are embraced by the Second Amendment right that the Court has now recognized.

As always, we welcome your comments.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Filed an intake with ACLUNV stating that I haven't been charged yet but plan to coordinate a civil disobedience and would like their assistance in coordination and, most importantly, criminal defense since I cannot afford to fight it on my own.