• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Parks

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

And, as expected, NRA isn't really helpful here. Their focus for the lawsuit they intend to file is completely benign, and they'll win on grounds other than state preemption, defeating the whole purpose of filing the suit in the first place.

Anything for the publicity of a "win" without having any actual impact on anything. Pisses me off that I'm a lifer if this is the type of crap I can expect from them in the future.

I'll talk more openly after they file, which they said should be in a few weeks.

Tim

wayneco

imported post

It was a sad moment when I came to realize that the NRA was mainly aiming for the status quo. If we had everything we wanted in the defense of our 2A rights, many people wouldn't feel the need to be a member.

I am also a member of the 2AF, CCRKBA and GOA. Those orgs are the ones making the most impact for the amounts of money they have in funding to do it.

There are also folks like Alan Gura who argued Heller, while not an org, are, for our community, turning out to be a force of nature in our fight.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=alan+gura&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And every last person that educates, advocates and evangelizes for the 2A, that guns as another tool that saves lives, for introducing youth to the shooting sports, for setting a good example to others outside the community (the trash pick-up projects, etc.) by the hopefully lawful way we live our lives and treat our weapons.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

Its 4th of july weekend, and now people are starting to worry about their safety in the parks. So as Im watching the news, they start talking about how there are only two officers for over two hundred parks, and how the cops are afraid to bring there familys to the parks. I say we leave a bunch of comments. setting the county park system straight. here is the link to the article.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=10641966

wrightme

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

If you check out the link, you will find this has nothing at all to do with national parks it is Clark County Parks that the artyicle is on..

Also I recently went to the "Red rockloop" sightseeing destination just outside of Vegas. I was OCing and on a motorcycle, as we pulled up to the toll shsckI noticed aNO LOADED WEAPONS sign, so I askedthe gentleman that takes the toll if this was a state park ?county park? national? andi gave him the obvious reason for my inquiry and stated that I wanted to be in compliance. the gentleman then told me that it is BLM land and they have a sign but he hasnt heard of a law or enforcement..not knowing what was legal i unloaded anbd proceeded. anyone with insight? ?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We're holding off for now. We were down to this as a "last resort" but now have the Clark County District Attorney agreeing to submit to the opinion of the Atty General. Her opinion is non- binding upon citizens of course, but CCDA did agree to comply with whatever the AG comes back with.

If it's unfavorable to our cause, we'll just have to push for legislation changes. If it's favorable, they'll either honor their agreement or they won't. If they don't, I guess we go public with it?

But for now, we're awaiting their opinion. I have word from the DA that they are submitting their request tomorrow and will be sending me a copy.

One of the best parts is that I hope to finally discover their argument for why preemption does not apply to them. To date, they have not released any of their research or conclusions, only that their research concludes the preemption doesn't apply.

Tim

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DON`T TREAD ON ME wrote:
... the gentleman then told me that it is BLM land and they have a sign but he hasnt heard of a law or enforcement..not knowing what was legal i unloaded anbd proceeded. anyone with insight? ?
http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/Recreation/recreation_national/Shooting_Sports_Hunting.print.html

The top paragraph from this page:

BLM policy is to allow the safe use of firearms on public lands – for both hunting and shooting sports – as provided for in state law, and to cooperate with state authorities in the enforcement of firearms regulations. Individuals have BLM's permission to possess and use legal firearms on BLM-administered public lands, except when prohibited by other applicable laws and regulations. Both hunting and shooting are specifically prohibited near developed recreation sites and administratively closed areas on the public lands.
There is no mention on this page whether firearms must be unloaded. Since shooting is allowed, I would take that to mean guns needn't be unloaded!

So if it's BLM land, what are they doing with a sign?

Tim

Pace

imported post

Almost all the shooting I do is I-BLM land right now. Who knows why the sign was put up, but BLM allows firearms, point blank on public land.

squatchie666

imported post

Can someone please point me to the current county code to which this topic refers?
Current code:
19.04.060 Establishment, posting of rules and regulations. The board of commissioners by resolution shall adopt rules and regulations to govern the individual public parks of Clark County. The director of parks and recreation shall ensure that signs containing current rules and regulations are posted at the entrances of the appropriate public parks.

Further, I have searched everything in http://library6.municode.com/11836/home.htm?infobase=16214&doc_action=whatsnew and cannot find the reference code prohibiting firearms in county parks. This is the code as ratified January 2010. I am wondering if the code has been amended to remove the section to which this thread refers, and therefore it no longer exists.

Again, can someone please find the section somewhere in the current Clark County Codes, since I don't seem to be able to find it.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Funny you posted this right now. I just got off the phone with the AG's office. It's still "in final review". I don't know what to say. The DA's office is equally speechless. This AG has got to go!! It's been 11 months and they can't even give me a "it'll be available soon".

Plus, the only last week posted the 2009 AG Opinions. When I asked about this, they said it could be until May 2011 before they post the 2010 opinions and that I'd have to get a copy from the DA's office when they mail them their response. I believe the DA's office should release a copy, which of course I'll post as soon as available.

squatchie666

imported post

Well like I said in my post, I can't find the supposed clark county code about this anywhere in the current codes, so it may be a moot point by now.

And speaking of the election (when you said get rid of her), I highly recommend any registered Republicans vote for Travis Barrick in the primary for AG. I have spoken with him personally and know his opinions about gun laws are in line with my own. He's not a typical politician either...I actually trust the guy.

28kfps

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Funny you posted this right now. I just got off the phone with the AG's office. It's still "in final review". I don't know what to say. The DA's office is equally speechless. This AG has got to go!! It's been 11 months and they can't even give me a "it'll be available soon".

Plus, the only last week posted the 2009 AG Opinions. When I asked about this, they said it could be until May 2011 before they post the 2010 opinions and that I'd have to get a copy from the DA's office when they mail them their response. I believe the DA's office should release a copy, which of course I'll post as soon as available.

Timf343

For what it is worth, I am assuming you are a non-legal person, have done one heck of a job. The replays you received are hard to believe. A lame duck AG would be a huge improvement over what we have. Just a thought have you thought about an e-mail to channel 13. Might appear to be more like a yuppie type approach however, one of the local news channels had a segment on her poor percentage of bringing cases to court. Her poor performance is well known to more than those that have had to deal with her. With your ok to use some of your research and replies, I do plan to compose and send some e-mails to some of those e-mail addresses you posted.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

By all means, please feel free to use any of the information I have posted here. I would like a heads up from you prior to being volunteered to talk to the media....

To the previous poster, there is no specific law within Clark County municipal code referencing firearms in parks. However, the Clark County Park Police web site web site does reference the code you posted above.

The Park Police said they would arrest anyone with a gun in a park, even if it's unloaded, disassembled and inside a locked case locked in the trunk! The Clark County DA's office said they would prosecute anyone so arrested.

That's what led us to here, sitting on our thumbs waiting for the AG's office to come back. I'm confident in our interpretation of preemption law, but the AG has proven to be unreliable at best, and it's entirely possible the opinion will come back unfavorable to us. At that point, our only option is to get the legislature involved again.

varminter22

imported post

timf343 wrote:
...I'm confident in our interpretation of preemption law, but the AG has proven to be unreliable at best, and it's entirely possible the opinion will come back unfavorable to us. At that point, our only option is to get the legislature involved again.

Speaking of our AG (Cortez-Masto), we need a new one!

Vote for Travis Barrick for NV AG.

http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Docs/Surveys/Gov_LtGov_AG2010.pdf

[align=left]4. Would you support any additional[/align]

[align=left]restrictive state legislation regulating[/align]
firearms?
AG candidate Travis Barrick said:

[align=left]No, current state firearm[/align]

[align=left]laws should be reformed or[/align]

[align=left]repealed to benefit lawabiding[/align]

[align=left]gun owners and[/align]
sportsmen in Nevada.
------------------------

[align=left]16. ... Would you support legislation mandating[/align]

[align=left]the use of locking devices or other locking[/align]

[align=left]procedures for firearms stored in the[/align]
home?
AG Candidate Travis Barrick said:

[align=left]No, I would not support[/align]

[align=left]such legislation and would[/align]

[align=left]instead support a resolution[/align]

[align=left]encouraging Nevada public[/align]

[align=left]schools to adopt NRA’s[/align]

[align=left]Eddie Eagle firearms safety[/align]

[align=left]program as part of its[/align]
curriculum.
Compare to opponent AG candidate Jacob Hafter's responses.

More candidate responses here: http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Pages/CandidateSurveys.php

and here: http://www.gonv.org/index.htm