• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Parks

njkennelly

This issue was the reason they changed the name from "Clark County Shooting Park" to "Clark County Shooting Complex."

So it isn't a "Park" it's a "Complex" so the provision that the director can give written permission to carry there, doesn't apply as she stated in her response.

This is ridiculous.

Vegassteve

So it isn't a "Park" it's a "Complex" so the provision that the director can give written permission to carry there, doesn't apply as she stated in her response.

This is ridiculous.

Except it s still listed under the parks department. The name changed yes but the division that covers it didnt.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
The only way that a "park" and a "complex" -- both under the control of the same agency -- are different is if there is a code specifying what each is, and how they are not the same. Otherwise, enforcement of their ban equals "the law is what I say it is," falls under "arbitrary and capricious," and thus is unconstitutional.

Do you folks in the Sharp End have a county-level initiative process?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Any update to this thread and struggle for our legal rights? I'm still seeing firearms being illegal on the county website

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/...lice/Pages/ClarkCountyCodeRelatedtoParks.aspx

City parks look good to go:
http://www.municode.com/Library#/NV....36PAOTRECUFA_13.36.020PR?searchText=Firearms

Your city parks link goes to a main page, not one with the information you were seeing. Can you cite and quote which ordinance?

OC will still cause you to have a bad experience in Clark County and City of Las Vegas and City of North Las Vegas parks.

You can conceal (with a permit) knowing that you will not be caught by those who are themselves in violation of state law which exonerates you.

I can't recommend that you be the test case, but I will renew my pledge to be an expert witness in court, free of charge.

Speedywrx

From what I'm reading OC and CC (with permit) are ok in city parks. I'm quoting from the city muni page in the link above:

13.36.020 - Prohibitions.
(A)
The following are prohibited within any City park, recreational facility or public plaza, including any parking area that serves the park, facility or plaza:

(1)
Glass beverage containers;

(2)
Remote control airplanes;

(3)
Remote control boats, except that battery-powered remote control boats may be used in any area that has been designated and posted to allow that activity;

(4)
Camping or lodging, except as otherwise permitted pursuant to Subsection (C);

(5)
Fires, except in barbecue facilities established in a park for that purpose;

(6)
Firearms, archery equipment or other weapons of any kind, except as otherwise provided in Subsection (D);

(7)
The hitting of golf balls, except at facilities specifically designed for that activity;

(8)
The use of park amenities for other than their intended uses, including without limitation washing clothes, bathing or showering (except in connection with the use of a swimming pool); and

(9)
The driving or parking of vehicles in areas other than those established for such use, or in a manner that violates any applicable law or ordinance pertaining to moving and non-moving violations.

(B)
Smoking in any form is prohibited at any of the following locations within a park:

(1)
In or upon any area that has been designated and posted as a children's play area, or within fifty feet of any such area;

(2)
Upon or within fifty feet of any bleachers that are being occupied for purposes of observing sporting events or recreational activities; and

(3)
In or upon any sports field or within fifty feet of the sideline, perimeter fence, or other outer boundary or perimeter of a sports field that is marked as such.

(C)
On a case-by-case basis, the Director may permit overnight camping activities within a park or recreational facility if those activities are sponsored by the City or by a duly-recognized nonprofit youth development organization.

(D)
The prohibition set forth in Paragraph (6) of Subsection (A) shall not apply to:

(1)
Activities specifically approved under this Chapter in connection with a particular event;

(2)
The possession of firearms that is otherwise permitted by State law; or

(3)
The possession of a concealed weapon by a person who holds a valid permit to do so that has been issued under, or is recognized pursuant to, the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369.

(Ord. No. 6226, § 2, 12-5-12)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
How much you want to bet they want to see your CCW permit for your openly carried gun? This could be fun!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's only a couple blocks north (on Thom Ave) of John Mull's Meats, which is an open-carry friendly place to get good food, too.

28kfps

I've been to a park recently on the Northwest side and it still says no firearms allowed.[/QUOTE
I believe the law that was referenced was for Las Vegas parks. Thanks for the feedback however to answer my question need to make sure it is a Las Vegas city park and not a county or North Las Vegas park. Do you know for sure if the park you checked was a city park?

Last edited:

z28power

There's a park very close to my house that I know is a LV park, I will check the signage if I drive nearby this weekend.

Craftymommy

The closest park to me is behind a school so that falls in the federal law. I don't recall any signs the last time I went to the dog park by me, though but again that is behind a school. I don't know the street names though, both around rainbow and the 95... Sheesh why are all the parks near me, near a school? I guess I should adventure more with my kids on the weekends and see if any have signs up and report back.

Jeannette

I've been to a park recently on the Northwest side and it still says no firearms allowed.[/QUOTE
I believe the law that was referenced was for Las Vegas parks. Thanks for the feedback however to answer my question need to make sure it is a Las Vegas city park and not a county or North Las Vegas park. Do you know for sure if the park you checked was a city park?

I will double check to see what typr of park it is.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The closest park to me is behind a school so that falls in the federal law. I don't recall any signs the last time I went to the dog park by me, though but again that is behind a school. I don't know the street names though, both around rainbow and the 95... Sheesh why are all the parks near me, near a school? I guess I should adventure more with my kids on the weekends and see if any have signs up and report back.

Seriously, IGNORE that federal school zone law. It is COMPLETELY unenforced in most states (those very few that care have their own matching state law) because it is known that it has already been once ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS.

I swear on all that is holy that if you carry in the federal gun free school zone you have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning while realizing that you just won the state lottery (that we don't have) than to have a cop question you about a gun in that federal school zone.

Craftymommy

Mac, good to know. I know it was knocked down but then another one passed that was similar but I did not realize it is pretty much ignored. Come to think of it I dont recall seeing signs on the schools either unless I am missing it. I kbow in California it is posted on the school itself as well as sign posts surrounding the school.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk