• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Weapon Badge

PT111

imported post

A recent incident where a boy was told to put his gun down and rather than doing that he pointed it at the officer. It turned out to be a toy gun but the boy was still shot. When 15 officers are surrounding me with guns drawn the last thing I am going to dois try to wave anything especially a phony badge. I am going to slowly put my gun down and he says get on the ground I am gong spread eagle and dog a hole. After all guns are put away I can argue about my rights but I can't do a thing if I am dead.

Bottom line is any CWP badge including reflective tape or whatever is a BAD idea. You have been watching too many cop shows.

TheMrMitch

imported post

It's really an ego thing to want a CC badge. "Hey....lookit me"!

I'm in corrections and do carry a badge on duty. I turn it face into my body when off. I OC almost everywhere. I can understand the OPs question and it has been answered. No. It is a solution looking for a problem.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I think you're a bit naive about your badge. It really does leave you open to charges of impersonating a police officer. All it takes is for ONE person to accuse you of claiming to be a LEO, whether or not they know you have the badge, and it's pretty much over. The fact that the BG accuses you and you have the badge may enough circumstantial evidence to land you in court. You may not be convicted if you have good lawyer, but do you really need the hassle?

LEO 229

imported post

If anyone can buy, carry, and display the CC badge.. it is pretty much useless. Criminals can use it and then get the drop on law enforcement.

Displaying it has no valid purpose. It is not a requirement.

A badge is a sign of authority and is made visible to show others you are alleged to have some type of authority. There are severe penalties for anyone attempting to unlawfully obtain authority they are not permitted to have.

Badges of authority are not easy to obtain but also not impossible. A CC badge can be purchased by anyone, at any time, and lawfully displayed with no real repercussion.

If you have a permit and you need to inform the police you are armed you can do so in many other ways besides showing a "badge" that simply does not give you any authority to CC.

If you need to make it known that you are armed... you can keep your hands in sight and tell the officer as he approaches. You can also put your gun on the ground and step away from it before the officer approaches.

Gunslinger

imported post

Those badges cost about 50 bucks. A box of good, .45ACP +P Federal HSTs about the same. Let's see...which should I spend my money on...:idea:

Colorado Luckydog

imported post

When the cops show up to a situation where they know shots have been fired, the best thing to do is to hold your badge high in the air and wave it around. You might even want to point it at them.

Another thing you can do...Keep it in your pocket until they get close and then quickly pull it out and point it and wave it at them.

Either way all of your troubles should be over shortly.