• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOC in San Mateo County

geoffw

imported post

So anyway, I grew up in the Redwood City/Emerald Hills area of San Mateo county for 20 years before I moved to Las Vegas. Living in a free gun state, OC isnt an issue. However, I will be going back to CA to visit family and friends and Im curious as to what the laws in San Mateo county and surrounding areas are regarding UOC. Would you do it?

Also, most if not all of the semiauto handguns I own are not legal in CA, so I will be taking a revolver just to be safe. Is there anything else I need to know before I come into the state?

-Geoff

wayneco

imported post

geoffw wrote:
Also, most if not all of the semiauto handguns I own are not legal in CA, so I will be taking a revolver just to be safe. Is there anything else I need to know before I come into the state?
-Geoff

Are your semi-auto handguns not legal or is it the capacity of the magazines?

When I still lived in CA I bought a Sig P228 9mm (1993) and the 13 round magazines that came with that pistol are perfectly legal to be used in CA today as far as I can tell, they are grandfathered.

More recently, I bought a Sig P229 .40 in my new home state of Nevada (2004) but it came with 12 round magazines, so for those times when I'm traveling in CA, I went to my local gun shop and bought 4x 10 round CA legal magazines.

You may be able to do the same, buy 10 round mags for your pistol of choice. Just because a semi-auto doesn't appear on CA's wacky (and we'll know soon if unconstitutional) "safe / approved guns list" doesn't mean you can't pass through the state with it.

Just make sure your pistol doesn't have a threaded barrel, else that somehow makes it an "assault weapon!!1!" (yawn.)

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

wayneco wrote:
When I still lived in CA I bought a Sig P228 9mm (1993) and the 13 round magazines that came with that pistol are perfectly legal to be used in CA today as far as I can tell, they are grandfathered.
They're grandfathered provided that they have never left the state. It's illegal to import magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.

wayneco

imported post

You sure about that?

Registered "assault weapons" may leave the state and return, why not pre-ban hi-cap magazines? Can you find that in the CA penal code, it would be interesting to know for sure?

If they originated in the state, i.e. they were there pre-ban, they aren't being imported as far as I know, they were already there.

In my case it doesn't matter since I never carry my 9mm anymore.

The folks over at calguns really know this stuff in-and-out. I am confident we could find someone there who could quote chapter and verse off the top of their head, that's where I read that registered assault rifles may leave and return.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

We're no slouches either. Although, I was wrong.

Code:
12020.  (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.
but then there's this!

Code:
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(23) The importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who
lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to
January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning
to the state with the large-capacity magazine previously lawfully
possessed in the state.
So...nevermind.

wayneco

imported post

Hey, I'm relieved you looked it up and more relieved to know that my suspicions are indeed supported by even California's ridiculous "no matter how hard you try to comply, we're pretty sure you'll accidentally commit a felony" gun law!