Thread: NO OC in Hoston County Alabama

Post imported post

I live in Dothan, Alabama (Houston County). i picked up my first CC permit last Friday. Called the Houston County Sheriff's Office today to find out about OC and was told by a seargeant absolutely NOT!! I was wondering if anyone else in Houston County has experience with OC.

Favorite Movie Quote

"Think of a gun like a condom. I would rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it."

Post imported post

Of course the police will say that.

Post imported post

Never ask for legal advice from any agency that:

a) does not have your best interests at heart
    b) has no legal responsibility to give a correct answer
    c) has no legal requirement to be truthful when answering questions from the public.

For legal questions ask a legal expert, for enforcement questions ask enforcement experts.

Post imported post

All of these points are somewhat valid. However, the first people you will be dealing with in this situation are the LEOs. I have several friends who are LEOs and will be discussing with them their personal views. I don't particulary agree that the LE agencies don't have my best interest at heart. I have had more than one occaision to deal with the local LE for misunderstandings and even mistaken identity (scary). I can honestly say that I have always been treated with the utmost courtesy and respect by both Dothan and Houston County depts. And that when on the other side (Victim), I have always been happy with the treatment and handling of my case. They are doing a very tough and way too unappreciated job. I will allow that sometimes personal beliefs or frustrations will play into an officers interpretation of the loose OC law for Alabama. And that is why I want to know what the official dept policies are for both City and County. As was stated by someone in a different thread, I do not have time or money to deal with false arrest and then wait for my lawyer and DA or AG to take care of the problem. If my Sheriff and Police Chief tell me OC is legal and their dept policy is to allow OC, I will OC. However, if they say it is not OK, I will CC until they say otherwise or until Alabama passes a law that clearly defines a legal no recourse policy for a law abiding citizen to OC. I would even be happy to OC with special permit. As I stated in another thread (that I didn't see before I started this one by the way), I plan to talk directly to Sheriff Hughes of Houston County and Police Chief Whitehead of Kinsey to see what they have to say about thier department specific policies. For those that are willing to try OC and stand soley on the Second Ammendment, I commend you and wish you luck if the sitution ever arises where you have to deal with a LEO having a bad day. Because no matter how legal or right you are, in the heat of the moment and way before you reach the court house, the officier is always right.

Post imported post

http://alabamagunrights.org/?page_id=8

Read and print out some of the fliers on this page, they also have a forum and in regards to AL statelaw, I would start with this thread: http://forum.alabamagunrights.org/fo...state-gun-law/.

OC is in fact legal in AL, but restrictions do apply.