• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ignorant anti-gun letter to anti-gun newspaper

cyberdogg

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Gun virus

Public Forum Letter (Salt Lake Tribune)

05/15/2009

It is interesting to observe our nation gear up for the onslaught of the swine flu virus. The medical profession provides leadership, an organization is in place to mount a defense, most people accept recommended precautions, and a responsible U.S. government cooperates with other nations to halt a potential pandemic.

In contrast, we know the gun virus kills 30,000 Americans every year, yet the recommendations of the medical profession are flipped off and leadership is usurped by National Rifle Association gun addicts. There is no bureaucracy to regulate the proliferation of guns, and citizens are expected to survive on their own or buy a gun and be willing to shoot to kill.

Citizens of every other advanced nation, where guns are tightly controlled, are stunned by the spineless politicians of a self-proclaimed superpower who are afraid to confront the NRA and halt the epidemic of gun deaths that strike 82 Americans every day.

Ron *****

Salt Lake City

AZkopper

imported post

And the 'Car Virus' kills 50K every year...and the 'Swimming Pool' Virus kills 66x more kids than the 'gun virus'. And the Constitution Virus prevents the government from protecting us from ourselves and running our lives.

Idiot.

YllwFvr

imported post

*face palm*

Seriously, the Binghamton shooting was like a half hour from my house. There are some loons out there no doubt. I carry a gun to protect me from them, or a plethora of other things. I feel safer carrying it.

But my god there are MILLIONS of nuts I deal with everyyear on the road. I dunno about anyone else but I damn near get run off the road every week by some crazy behind the wheel. Lady merged into my lane the other day. Kid in a stang (stang=badass) nearly swiped me doing like 80 over a knoll only to find Yllw stopped at a red light, which he blew. Lucky no one was in the intersection. Im so much more worried about being killed in my car than by some jackass on the street...

Honestly, I cannot fathom how so many latch onto the gun idea when there is so much more that is more important in life.

Thats about the end of my rant.

crotalus01

imported post

"There is no bureaucracy to regulate the proliferation of guns, and citizens are expected to survive on their own or buy a gun and be willing to shoot to kill."

There we have it in a nutshell. HE is not willing to shoot to kill, or to own a defensive weapon. HE wants the Nanny State to solve everything for him and protect him cradle to grave. Thats fine, that is his decision. The problem comes in when assholes like him want to try and force Citizens like us to accept that same Nanny State solution.

One word for him: NEVER.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"There is no bureaucracy to regulate the proliferation of guns, and citizens are expected to survive on their own or buy a gun and be willing to shoot to kill."

This worked extremely well in the past.

Apparently, these idiots have never heard the rule, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

They also refuse to see that most of the gun deaths occure in areas that have the most restictive gun laws on the books.

There simply is no intellegent arguement for more gun control.

david.ross

imported post

From another article on the web...

"Ron Molen, co-founder of Utahns Against Gun Violence"

Succession of said UAGV is http://www.gvpc.org/ with history.
This Ron Molen guy sounds like a moron, blaming guns for violence caused by humans. He should be blaming the gang bangers and criminals.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

from the gvpc.org site:
We also believe it is possible to accomplish this and still maintain the ability of citizens to own and possess firearms for legitimate recreational purposes.
So, they don't recognize self defense and defense of the state/nation against enemies foriegn and domestic, as ligetimate purposes?

How very narrow minded. :banghead:

wayneco

imported post

Last time I checked, and forgive me if I don't get this quite right, but the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting, target shooting or any "legitimate recreational purposes" as called out in the poorly written op-ed piece -- it's much broader and fundamental than that.

Thank god that Scalia manned up and affirmed that rights are individually held, fools like this abound and are undermining the essence of what makes America great like the damage rust causes to untreated steel.

It would be like saying speech deserves protection "as long as it's singing around campfires" or "reading your children fairy tales in the privacy of one's home" but not appropriate for "dangerous dissent" "political speech" or "disagreement" or "debate."