• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ok, yeah I'm new...and a nancy boy.

NPH_1985

imported post

Maybe its just me but, is anyone else too scared to OC?

Allow me to clarify before you raise pitch forks & torches to run me out of town. I'm currently (working on) going to school for my EMT-Paramedic license. My eventual goal is to either work as a firefighter/paramedic or on an air ambulance as a paramedic. I'm also open to being an RN in an ER. Currently, I work in assisted living as a CNA. With all that, I am scared stupid of getting slapped w/ ANYTHING for an OC incident. Another part that plays a role in this that with my current job I don't have the resources should I end up w/ a charge stemming from OC. This is all aside from the possibity of getting beat down by the 5-0 and/or shot. I'm fine w/ OC around someone else who know whats going on or is OC themself. I guess I'm just terrified that this could haunt me for the rest of my working life.

Am I alone on this?

Apet

imported post

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. I OC all the time, in rural Forest County. I won't in urban areas because...lots of reasons. It just gives credit to the couregeous tip of the spear. Lots of roles we all can play, no need to denigrate someone on the good side.

That said- a tip of the hat to all of you who put it on the line in hostile territory.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Am I alone on this?
I OC all over in Waukesha and Milwaukee County. I was scared the first time I did it.

Each subsequent time I carried I was more and more comfortable with it. Yesterday I was thinking to myself how after 2 or 3 weeks of OC'ing that I no longer had ANY apprehension when I load up click in and walk into a store.

Unfortunately its very difficult to just go "OC all the time" because of school zones etc. You really do have to pre-plan your trips. I would say that the best way to really break the ice (for yourself) is to pick a store to go shopping and OC. That way you KNOW you are on private property and don't have to worry about school zones etc. Don't make it an hour long expedition, but just a short trip in to pick up something you need and out.

If you OC on private property (like a store) go about your business like you would any other day. Make sure to follow vehicle transport rules (cased and unloaded) and you DON'T have to worry about arrest. Worst case scenario, the police will stop and talk to you. You won't be arrested or charged.

I wish I lived closer to GB, I'd come OC with you.

patriotguy

imported post

NPH_1985,

Welcome to the site. The vast majority of the people posting here would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to ask questions as you need.

Since most people in Wisconsin are not used to carrying at all, it is uncomfortable for them. I know of many who carry concealed (CC), including myself at times, knowing that it is illegal. I only do this when I know I will be in a questionable area of town. This falls under the "tried by 12, carried by 6" dichotomy.

I have a Florida CCW license where I can CC in many states when traveling (just not my home state!). Last Fall, I spent time in Texas near the border, doing some "volunteer work". I was able to CC very comfortably, and legally. In fact, I spent some time with officials from the border patrol, and the Texas governor's office, who were glad that a yankee took the time to get a CCW license and "volunteer".

Someone else on this forum had mentioned that they started to open carry at home to get used to the feel of the weapon at your side. Great idea. Hugh and others mentioned several times about not calling attention to your firearm. Just go about your business as usual. Be polite and respectful. If someone at a business doesn't want you to OC, fine. Post your experience on this forum.

Several people on this forum OC frequently. I do so infrequently, just because I'm on the run often. I'm also unemployed right now, so I don't do much shopping of anything. Read the different posts about other people's experiences, and obey the law. If a LEO stops you, be respectful.

Again, Welcome to the site.

Regards,

WI Patriot

gila

imported post

Don't be too hard on yourself. I know a few people that want to OC but are afraid of the things you have listed. I'm sure that everybody that OC's was a bit nervous the first few times that they did. The longest journey always starts with a single step. Try OCing when you get the mail or take out the trash. Start small and learn all you can about the laws and location of schools.

metalman383

imported post

I hold Minnesota, and Utah cc permits. I carry alot around in rural areas and my homestead. I recently spent two weeks in AZ. I always carried, mostly cc. The first time I oce'd, it was very strange feeling, even though it is common practice there. I got out of my truck at a gas station to fill up,with my 1911 on my side, an officer pulled up behind me to also get gas. He glanced at the gun, nodded and said "Good Morning" I have to say it was a very liberating feeling knowing for sure, I was not going to be harrased! I'm having a little bit more trouble bringing myself to do it, by myself here in Liberalville (WI).

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Maybe you should plan onattending one of the O-C picnics that are either alreadyscheduled, or in the planning stages to meet up with other like minded people. Maybe even try to put one together in your area?
Before the A-G made his informal opinion, I was very apprehensive too. Now after what happened in West Allis, Chilton, West Milwaukee (Brad K. & Jesus G.) and the resulting court cases and lawsuits in those cities, I feel we are in a much better positionand will notrun into as many police officers that are ignorant of our right to carry.

The resulting lawsuit against Chilton and West Milwaukee have opened the eyes of many police chiefs and city attorneys, it let them know that they will get a legal smackdown if they harass people for exercising their 2A rights.

Just like some other things in life, maybe think of O-C is an act that is more enjoyable when your not alone:shock:for the first time.

1FASTC4

imported post

NPH_1985 wrote:

OC, your constitutional rights may be taken away if you do not stand up for them.

It's ok to be scared. It's how you behave while scared that will define you as a "nancy-boy" or not.

metalman383

imported post

The wife, three kids and I will be attending the picnic in Lacrosse tomorrow. I am actually very excited. Only big dilema is, which gun to wear!:D

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i was also afraid of the same things when i first started out.. after a few times it get ALOT easier.. the worst part is loading up and getting ready to walk in the store.. i always get stares for that..

that said my wife (who supports OC) is still uneasy about going with me.. she wont go with if we have the baby with us.. basically because of what flynn said... she doesnt want our child to be there if something does happen. so for now i just oc by myself for the most part. im sure she will get used to it.. and as more people start oc'ing it wont be as scary for anyone..

Geoff

imported post

Good post. Thank you.

I'm thinking about going to the Milwaukee picnic myself. Now if only I could find a secure holster so I canstart OCing more safely.

Have a good one.

Geoff

bigdaddy1

imported post

I have not OC yet, I dont have a holster. I am going to Gander Mountain today to see if I can find one. I for one applaud all those that have taken the cause to heart and spear-headed the OC in Milwaukee. I am looking forward to the picnic in Greenfield on Memorial Day. I am also concerned about the 1000 foot rule (as ridiculous as it sounds) and the transport laws. I find it difficult to plan a trip with these stupid rules in place.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Well first of all, I am against any regulation saying it is a requirement to take a course before you can exercise your rights.

Secondly, There is legislation going through as we speak to ensure that victims of crimes cannot be prosecuted for defending themselves from criminals.
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/AB-193.pdf

The insurance vampires already suck us dry for every drop of blood they can get. I for one refuse to give them another drop. So there will be no insurance for this guy.

The funny thing is that back in the days of the cowboys, when people were obviously more mature about the whole gun on the hip thing. No one, I repeat No One took a concealed carry class or bought insurance.

I am sorry, no offense here, but all that bull about taking a class or buying insurance is just another way for the legislature to restrict our rights. The supreme court has been very specific in that there cannot be a monetary charge or restriction that would cost you money in order for you to exercise your rights.

If you are that scared then don't carry. Simple as that. In the days to come when this is all over and we have WON this battle, and WE WILL WIN, if you are a person who chooses not to carry, you will not have to worry about criminals robbing you near as much because most certainly there will be someone near by who is carrying and will more than likely answer the call.

I am not saying that we should all try to be police officers, I am just saying that a criminal getting an open view of your fire arm is more than likely going to move on and go the other way. Your presence will be enough of a deterant most of the time.

Come on.... This is your right....YOUR RIGHT! Quit trying to make it hard to exercise your rights for crying out loud.

Put that gun in your holster and carry it. Just don't cover it or conceal it or brandish it and follow all of the laws that unfortunately surround it at this point and you will be fine.

You will actually come away from this with a feeling of accomplishment knowing that you stood up for yourself.

I understand the concern for knowing the laws, but just like people can read to much into the statues of the law, you can also procrastinate yourself to death. Just do it!

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I am sorry, no offense here, but all that bull about taking a class or buying insurance is just another way for the legislature to restrict our rights. The supreme court has been very specific in that there cannot be a monetary charge or restriction that would cost you money in order for you to exercise your rights.
Yup. Another way for the legislature to restrict our rights, and another way for people with vested financial interests to lobby the government on their behalf.

Would you want a certified firearms instructor who stands to make thousands in training class enrollment fees lobbying the lawmakers about what requirements would go into a piece ofconcealled carry legislation?

Would you want an insurance provider lobbying for the law on how much insurance you should carry?